Most overrated and most underrated headphones
Jul 28, 2009 at 6:38 PM Post #61 of 197
Quote:

Originally Posted by proteuskim /img/forum/go_quote.gif
and to crossMD I mean that the beats are underrated on this site. cuz ppl are taking a dump on them just b/c its monster cable with dre's name. but they arent as bad as ppl make em out to be. thus underrated.

do i own a pair of beats? no. will i purchase one at their current retail price? no. are they as bad as headfiers make em out to be? no.

By this mentality, Bose is underrated then too, as nothing could really be as awful as the sheer magnitude of dissenting head-fi votes VS assenting public votes. And even then the beats aren't completely shat upon. There are plenty more assenting votes here (like yourself) that make up for a number of people who really don't partake in whatever shatting there may be.

Just in playing devil's advocate.
smily_headphones1.gif
You are of course entitled to your own opinion, which is entirely what this thread is based upon. I do see where you're coming from, I just disagree.

Jul 28, 2009 at 7:22 PM Post #62 of 197
I really only pay attention to the high performance end of the spectrum.

The New King of over rated Headphones are the Sennheiser HD-800's.

And IMO the most Under Rated Headphones are the Koss ESP-950.

I don't really think that it is tied to Sound Quality, because sound quality is purely subjective. It's more the attitude that the proponents of each headphone have and how vehemently they push it that makes a headphone over rated. Sennheiser Fanboys have long rabidly defended their 600/650's and now they have the HD-800's to obsess over. There's also Stax, there's a reason why they're referred to as the Stax Mafia.

As far as the K-701's being over rated, well that's insane. The K-701's are the single most berated high performance headphone around. It has gotten to the point that some people who like the K-701's don't say so because of the attacks that saying so elicits. If anything the K701's are under rated because they are berated to such an extent, but there are many people who really like them (They're in my Top 5).

Jul 28, 2009 at 7:30 PM Post #63 of 197
Can't really add much for the underrated part cus I haven't heard too many...

but I will agree that the AD700 is very overrated.. I read countless praises about how they were king of it's price range and they do everything so well. I hated the sound signature when I got mine.

Jul 28, 2009 at 8:30 PM Post #64 of 197
overrated phones are Edition 9 and K701. K701 sounds sterile and boring while the edition 9 sounds too artificial and lacks "realness".

underrated phones - PX100. A lot to offer and scales really well with better amp for the price tag.

Jul 28, 2009 at 8:37 PM Post #65 of 197
If underrated means 'not getting nearly enough love', then I think the Audio-Technica ATH-A900Ti is very underrated. On the other side of the spectrum, there's overrated. In my opinion, even though it doesn't get a lot of attention, most Philips headphones are way overrated. I own an older top of the line Philips headphone, the SBC-HP840, and it's pretty bad.

Jul 28, 2009 at 9:26 PM Post #66 of 197
Senn HD280.

Couldn't get past the honky midrange. After listening to some closed Denon 1001's, the HD280 were puketastic.

I'd love to hear the new Shure's to see how they compare to other closed phones in the same range.

Jul 28, 2009 at 9:28 PM Post #67 of 197
Quote:

Originally Posted by Flavio T /img/forum/go_quote.gif
AKG K77 as one of the most underrated headphones -- specially at its price.

WHA!

I saw the K77 at Bay Bloor Radio in Toronto and looked at it with a bewildred stare. I guess I should have tried it - so vintage looking.

How does it sound? (what does it sound like)

Jul 28, 2009 at 9:40 PM Post #68 of 197
Quote:

Originally Posted by Catharsis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Senn HD280.

Couldn't get past the honky midrange. After listening to some closed Denon 1001's, the HD280 were puketastic.

I agree that the 280's are pretty awful. They were my first decent set of headphones around 5 years ago and noticeably better than my ibuds, but really lacking in bass response. I don't get why there were so many positive reviews back then, but I guess other people were the same as I was - they upgraded from crap so of course the 280's seemed good. I had to listen to them for a week while my 650's were balanced a while ago and my ears nearly died. Fortunately, I have convinced at least a few people to not buy the HD280's and generally to buy the D1001's instead (although I don't agree with the AD700 hate here and think they're decent).

Jul 28, 2009 at 9:43 PM Post #69 of 197
One of the most overrated is the Denon AH-D5000 about two years ago. It was a thoroughly adequate phone ballyhooed into a great giant killer. The hype suckered me in unfortunately when I should have saved the cash for some of the upgrades I made straight away after getting exposure to more kinds of equipment.

Jul 28, 2009 at 10:50 PM Post #70 of 197
I think my current headphones, the GMP250 and the K270P, are a bit underrated and/or relative unknown.

Jul 28, 2009 at 10:52 PM Post #71 of 197
Quote:

Originally Posted by tamahome77 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
overrated phones are Edition 9 and K701. K701 sounds sterile and boring while the edition 9 sounds too artificial and lacks "realness".

underrated phones - PX100. A lot to offer and scales really well with better amp for the price tag.

Wow - it took that many posts for someone to start K701 bashing - I think this is some kind of Head-Fi record
smily_headphones1.gif

Seem to be plenty of posts here that rave about the PX100 : not sure if that fits in with your 'underrated', er, rating ! I would probably still be buying Senns if I hadnt discovered other brands - now I'm more interested in hearing a variety of different brands and models than sticking with one line of headphones.

Jul 29, 2009 at 2:25 AM Post #72 of 197
Tried the beats at the best buy today. They reminded me of skullcandy. I think I could hear the "noise cancellation" effect and it bothered me... made for a staticky background.

my MDR-V6 murders the beats and the beats seem to copy a lot of the things the MDR-V6 does. It just doesn't do any of it well. So I stand by my previous statement, worth 50$? No. Worth 300$? You out of your mind?

Jul 29, 2009 at 2:44 AM Post #73 of 197
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aynjell /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tried the beats at the best buy today. They reminded me of skullcandy. I think I could hear the "noise cancellation" effect and it bothered me... made for a staticky background.

my MDR-V6 murders the beats and the beats seem to copy a lot of the things the MDR-V6 does. It just doesn't do any of it well. So I stand by my previous statement, worth 50$? No. Worth 300$? You out of your mind?

I was disappointed in the beats. I listened to them at bestbuy. I thought the active noise canceling would be pretty good, but it defiantly wasn't, I could still hear some people in the store and I could also hear a slight buzzing noise....maybe worth 100-150...defiantly not 300 unless you really want them....

Jul 29, 2009 at 10:07 AM Post #74 of 197
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rock n Rolla /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was disappointed in the beats. I listened to them at bestbuy. I thought the active noise canceling would be pretty good, but it defiantly wasn't, I could still hear some people in the store and I could also hear a slight buzzing noise....maybe worth 100-150...defiantly not 300 unless you really want them....

ANC only works with repetitive, droning noise such as aircraft engines. Canalphones are a far better option if you want isolation from other forms of noise.

Jul 29, 2009 at 11:45 AM Post #75 of 197
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rock n Rolla /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I think Bose QC3 does noise cancelling way better than the Beats.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back