Most overrated and most underrated headphones
Jul 29, 2009 at 12:12 PM Post #76 of 197
Quote:

Originally Posted by koven /img/forum/go_quote.gif

but I will agree that the AD700 is very overrated.

You have it backwards. They are very underrated!
Right now, they are usually only recommended in the under $100 category, when in fact they are the best open phones under $250.

Jul 29, 2009 at 11:15 PM Post #77 of 197
I don't think K701 are overrated.Maybe overpriced.They are definitely one of the best cans i've heard.I definitely think the DT770/80ohm are way overrated especially as the so called "bass kings".Now underrated i would say Philips HP910(other models),M Audio Q40,and too many others to mention.

Jul 29, 2009 at 11:36 PM Post #78 of 197
Quote:

Originally Posted by nhancakes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think Bose QC3 does noise cancelling way better than the Beats.

And the pxc 350 or 450 does it beter than the bose
smily_headphones1.gif
Yeyy, 2bad i regret buying them^^:

Jul 30, 2009 at 12:29 AM Post #79 of 197
Just got back from best buy where I demo'd both the Bose Over-Ears and Beats. I do think the Bose is under-rated (even though they are truly over-priced) here. I expected them to be absolutely horrible, but they sounded pleasant. They weren't too muddy or bassy like I expected. The beats......... they were worse than I thought they would be! First of all the demo was extremely loud - it hurt my ears. And there was a button to make it twice as loud! I can't believe how much the bass frequencies are emphasized on these cans. Any kind of music all I could think about was "wow this is a lot of bass!" They were not transparent at all, certainly not good enough for a $300 headphone. I honestly don't see how anyone can listen to these with music other than rap or techno.

BTW I listened to the Bose home theater systems. They were all totally horrible! Even in carefully set up demo units were clearly terrible. How do people buy these?

Aug 24, 2009 at 11:17 PM Post #80 of 197
Oh!Definitely the Grado RS1 is IMO the most underrated HPs.When i listened to them in a local retail store,i was blown away by their sound quality.Any praise they get they deserve!As soon as i put them on i was immediately immersed in liquid hi-fi perfection.And IMO they are the best value in the Grado line up.And if i were to pony up some big bucks on a set of headphones.The RS1i would be on the top of the list!
smily_headphones1.gif
http://www.gradolabs.com/frameset_main.htm

Aug 24, 2009 at 11:27 PM Post #81 of 197
The overrated award goes to the JVC DX1000 and the HD-800.

I think Koss is underrated sometimes.

Aug 24, 2009 at 11:52 PM Post #82 of 197
Quote:

Originally Posted by clarinetman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The overrated award goes to the JVC DX1000 and the HD-800.

I think Koss is underrated sometimes.

I have to respectfully disagree. I think the JVC DX1000s are underrated. They are outstanding headphones imo. The Beyerdynamic DT880s on the other hand...

Aug 25, 2009 at 12:51 AM Post #84 of 197
Quote:

Originally Posted by Possédé /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have to respectfully disagree. I think the JVC DX1000s are underrated. They are outstanding headphones imo. The Beyerdynamic DT880s on the other hand...

Yeah, I don't really care for the DT880s either.

The DX1000 is just far too laid-laid back for my tastes.

Aug 25, 2009 at 12:52 AM Post #85 of 197
I have to say I find the DX1K overrated. For how I found them in my time with them.

As for underrated. I say nothing. I used to have a nomination for that. But these days you pay FAR more than a Jecklin Float Model 2 is worth in order to get one. At £25 they were lovely. At £30, reasonable and now they're at £65, it's a ****ing joke. Especially since most of them need restoration work done.

Aug 25, 2009 at 12:52 AM Post #86 of 197
Quote:

Originally Posted by ricksome /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Flavor Of The Month is always over rated and usually ends up in the For Sale Forums quickly there after. Go check it out under headphones, amps cables, etc.

What exactly is "The Flavor Of The Month"? New expression to me.

Aug 25, 2009 at 1:37 AM Post #87 of 197
Flavor Of The Month = when a newly released piece of audio gear gets positively talked about on these forums, creates a "buzz" and then fades away leaving a bad taste in one's mouth and wallet.

Aug 25, 2009 at 1:38 AM Post #88 of 197
Quote:

Originally Posted by clarinetman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What exactly is "The Flavor Of The Month"? New expression to me.

Somebody says "look what I bought" and 30 other head-fiers add it to their cart.

It's then discussed in a lengthy thread about how amazing it is... and somehow some way, everybody sells them.

Aug 25, 2009 at 2:04 AM Post #89 of 197
Have to agree about AD700 being overrated. Wow! Despite owning the 650 I bought a pair of these just out of curiousity, and boy, are they horrible. So bright, so coarse! As I've written elsewhere, if I'd been told they were a $50 K-Mart model I'd have believed it. Don't know what people are hearing, but it's not what I'm hearing.

Most Underrated? Definitely the Senn 555, especially with the reflector mod. These are the only "cheap" phone I could live with, the only ones that give a believable facsimile of orchestral music. These "AD700 or 555?" threads where everyone says "Definitely the AD700"...to me that's total weirdsville. They could only be listening to rap and trance to think that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back