Most overrated and most underrated headphones
Aug 25, 2009 at 2:17 AM Post #91 of 197
Most overrated headphone is K701 because at least one person thinks it is the best current production headphone, or that it cannot be beat for the price.

Most Underrated? Can't really says because it seems every headphone has its following.

Aug 25, 2009 at 2:30 AM Post #92 of 197
Quote:

Originally Posted by pp312 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
These "AD700 or 555?" threads where everyone says "Definitely the AD700"...to me that's total weirdsville. They could only be listening to rap and trance to think that.

Granted I haven't heard the 555, but they would need to have no bass at all to be worse for rap and trance than the AD700. IMO those are two of the worst genres for the AD700, which I must agree are definitely an overrated set of cans.

Aug 25, 2009 at 3:03 AM Post #93 of 197
Quote:

Have to agree about AD700 being overrated. Wow! Despite owning the 650 I bought a pair of these just out of curiousity, and boy, are they horrible. So bright, so coarse! As I've written elsewhere, if I'd been told they were a $50 K-Mart model I'd have believed it. Don't know what people are hearing, but it's not what I'm hearing.

Most Underrated? Definitely the Senn 555, especially with the reflector mod. These are the only "cheap" phone I could live with, the only ones that give a believable facsimile of orchestral music. These "AD700 or 555?" threads where everyone says "Definitely the AD700"...to me that's total weirdsville. They could only be listening to rap and trance to think that.

Funny, that's a good chucnk of what I listen to. BUT, I also appreciate their sound for stuff like Billy Joel, and just bout any live music I've heard.

I'm not saying they're better than the 555, as I've never heard the 555, but I like them for their brightness. I lean more towards enjoyability then "hi fi" though...

I want the high end enjoyability granted, but the definition of hi-fi isn't what I'm after.

With that being said, my 100$ setup amazes me every time it touches my ears. CMOY + ATH-AD700 is just plain enjoyable for me.
atsmile.gif

I did notice the course-ness you spoke of, prior to the CMOY. It now is much smoother and is exactly what I'm after... unfortunately not enough of it so i'll be upgrading. Right now my sights are set on ordering parts (on my next paycheck) for a souped up cmoy, my second iteration. Wall Power, high precision resistors, and about 40$ worth of op amps that I can roll through so I can find the perfect one.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm on the ghetto-fab side of head-fi things though, so I can't really be taken too seriously. Ghetto-Fi.
biggrin.gif

Aug 25, 2009 at 6:53 AM Post #94 of 197
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cankin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
somewhat overrated: AD2000, DT880
overrated and I have no idea why others would like them: D2000

Well, I bought a used 880 to try it out and thought it sounded very much like my 650 with the amp treble control on full. The potential was there, but whoa! so bright! Even the Grado SR80 I heard once wasn't that bright

Sold them a week later.

Aug 25, 2009 at 11:12 AM Post #95 of 197
Quote:

Have to agree about AD700 being overrated. Wow! Despite owning the 650 I bought a pair of these just out of curiousity, and boy, are they horrible. So bright, so coarse! As I've written elsewhere, if I'd been told they were a $50 K-Mart model I'd have believed it. Don't know what people are hearing, but it's not what I'm hearing.

Most Underrated? Definitely the Senn 555, especially with the reflector mod. These are the only "cheap" phone I could live with, the only ones that give a believable facsimile of orchestral music. These "AD700 or 555?" threads where everyone says "Definitely the AD700"...to me that's total weirdsville. They could only be listening to rap and trance to think that.

I agree, the Senn 555 are too cheap to be appreciated.

The design is not the best but the most important thing is the sound.

Aug 25, 2009 at 11:19 AM Post #96 of 197
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As for underrated. I say nothing. I used to have a nomination for that. But these days you pay FAR more than a Jecklin Float Model 2 is worth in order to get one. At £25 they were lovely. At £30, reasonable and now they're at £65, it's a ****ing joke. Especially since most of them need restoration work done.

Same thing with the K240 Sextett. I remember when the big topics started to crop up where people were saying how good they were, yet then they may have been as I recall people saying they paid money like $60 for ones in good condition. Though to be fair I'm still waiting on pads and elastics to say (mine is beaten up so was cheaper anyway), but these days you have to pay $150-$200 for one in "like new" condition with a re-cable, which means you're approaching mid-fi price range anyway so they no longer become a bargain.

It happens with so many headphones here. One person says "oh these headphones beat those headphones" and everyone goes crazy. Then everyone either works out they are crap and they all get sold off (where the buyers can actually make a bargain sometimes), or so many people get them and rave about them even more (as someone else said, perhaps in a different topic, it may even be simply to "justify" the purchase) that they become overrated. In the case they are "vintage" headphones being raved about, the price starts to rise because everyone thinks they are so good that they'll buy them for more, and if the seller can sell at that price, they will. The headphones then either end up become okay for the price compared to "well priced" current production headphones, or even too expensive for what they're really worth.

Then there are some like the K601, which actually take a long time to pick up. However, they are currently very popular, and although I don't really notice people saying "oh these are so much better than that headphone at the same price range", they're popular enough now I'd say they may have passed through the "underrated" category, as people recommend them often at their price range, whereas before everyone would say "oh, save up a bit more and get the K701".

Aug 25, 2009 at 3:18 PM Post #97 of 197
Of the headphones i've tried in the past:

Slightly Overrated:

grado sr60:it sounded ok to me but expected to be better/more refined after all the comments here)

koss ksc75:good value for money,but i've read in a thread that some people would give much more money for them....No,i don't think i would give more than the 30 euros i spent.

Underrated:

k701/702,k601,hd650:i'm thinking to get a k601 for myself,i liked it's sound quality.K701 is seriously underrated in my opinion(although i've never heard it with a good home setup,only out of a profesional audio equipment)
hd650 is very good headphone,and is not boring if driven properly.

Most overrated & most underrated at the same time:

hd800/hd600

I think the hd800 sibilance is not a real problem but is a problem that was created by some members who had the bad luck to experience sibilance with their setup,and then other hd800 owners were affected and thought that their hd 800 is sibilant(but i'm not sure because skylab seems to be very experienced and he tried it with different set-ups,and there may be differences between different hd 800's).On the other hand,i don't think that it is sooooooo good,the best headphone ever etc(although i don't have experience with other very expensive cans)
But i can't understand why almost nobody complained for sibilance with the hd600.My hd 600 were sibilant out of many setups i've tried them in the past.
The hd 600 can be sibilant,especially if you drive it out of some integrated amplifiers and consumer av recievers.

Aug 25, 2009 at 3:24 PM Post #98 of 197
Senn HD555, HD595 and all things Bose and Skullcandy:

Underrated on Head-Fi. Overrated pretty much everywhere else.

Aug 25, 2009 at 3:41 PM Post #99 of 197
Quote:

Originally Posted by john53 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Of the headphones i've tried in the past:

Slightly Overrated:

grado sr60:it sounded ok to me but expected to be better/more refined after all the comments here)

koss ksc75:good value for money,but i've read in a thread that some people would give much more money for them....No,i don't think i would give more than the 30 euros i spent.

Underrated:

k701/702,k601,hd650:i'm thinking to get a k601 for myself,i liked it's sound quality.K701 is seriously underrated in my opinion(although i've never heard it with a good home setup,only out of a profesional audio equipment)
hd650 is very good headphone,and is not boring if driven properly.

Most overrated & most underrated at the same time:

hd800/hd600

I think the hd800 sibilance is not a real problem but is a problem that was created by some members who had the bad luck to experience sibilance with their setup,and then other hd800 owners were affected and thought that their hd 800 is sibilant(but i'm not sure because skylab seems to be very experienced and he tried it with different set-ups,and there may be differences between different hd 800's).On the other hand,i don't think that it is sooooooo good,the best headphone ever etc(although i don't have experience with other very expensive cans)
But i can't understand why almost nobody complained for sibilance with the hd600.My hd 600 were sibilant out of many setups i've tried them in the past.
The hd 600 can be sibilant,especially if you drive it out of some integrated amplifiers and consumer av recievers.

hd600 sibilant????
confused.gif
Out of my setup , absolutely no sibilant at all. Its an unusual complaint on the hd600 but our ears are different I guess.

Aug 25, 2009 at 4:04 PM Post #100 of 197
Quote:

Originally Posted by hentai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hd600 sibilant????
confused.gif
Out of my setup , absolutely no sibilant at all. Its an unusual complaint on the hd600 but our ears are different I guess.

Out of my sony str db 840 av reciever,my hd 600(650 cable) was so sibilant,i had to eq -3db to make them listenable.The same out of a nad integrated amp(don't remember model),a yamaha av reciever(don't remember model),ergo amp 1,creek obh 11(only a bit sibilant,not too much),project headbox 1(a bit sibilant)and symphonic line integrated amp(klarheit if i remember correctly)paired with a symphonic line cd player and expensive interconnects.

Out of my current amp,they are ok though.

Aug 25, 2009 at 4:16 PM Post #101 of 197
HD600 might be a bit more sibilant than HD650, but to be honest I don't think that HD600 qualifies as really sibilant can. Out of the phones that I have owned D2000 was the most sibilant one.

Aug 25, 2009 at 4:41 PM Post #102 of 197
I think the HD595 is overrated. Sure it's not really mentioned that much and it's still an excellent can to own but it's basically the same as the HD555 - one of the most underrated phones I can think of.

Aug 25, 2009 at 5:45 PM Post #103 of 197
Quote:

Originally Posted by john53 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I complained about the HD580 (almost same as HD600) sibilance. And that one was driven by a Musical Fidelity X-can V3. I sold them because of it.
But it was not as bad as the D2000.

Aug 25, 2009 at 8:24 PM Post #105 of 197
To me, the D2000 is overrated, the GS1000 underrated..

I didnt like the Denon's, total lack of balance IMO, bad isolation in and out, comfy though

I really like the detail of the Grado's who can pull you right on stage if the recording is decent.. Not very neutral, but I like
biggrin.gif

I think I would like a cross-breed GS1000-K501

Users who are viewing this thread

Back