Most overrated and most underrated headphones
Aug 28, 2009 at 2:40 AM Post #121 of 197
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nirvana1000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And i remember listening to them and thinking what's so good about these headphones?And who the hell would pay this amount of money for them?!And now i understand why.
wink_face.gif

Lol, love the wall of headphones. My brother, dad and I have spent some money there

I also think the SR60's are a bit overrated but I did listen to them right after my triple.fi's so that could part of it, but either I was not that impressed

Aug 28, 2009 at 11:07 AM Post #122 of 197
Second thoughts, I think the most under-rated on here are possibly Goldring NS1000s.

I'm sure many will be put off by them being Noise Cancelling but that can be turned off, leaving a very capable closed headphone. Superb detail and treble response with noise cancelling on, great mids with lifelike vocals, and deep understated, well controlled bass. With noise cancelling off the bass quintity increases but you lose some of the treble extension. They throw a great 3d headstage for a closed set of cans too, with excellent instrument separation.

I think they never caught on here as the first person to try them wasn't particularly impressed. I think this was partly down to not giving them enough time. Mine took 50 to 70 hours before they really started to blow me away (and I got them second hand with about 20 hours on them).

I got a chance to borrow a set of HD580s from a friend a few months ago and A/B'd them against each other (I know, open vs closed and all that...). I loved the HD580s (Noting that my available headphone amps aren't exactly top of the range) but I wouldn't swap them. The NS1000s are that good.

As for other closed headphones I've only tried them against Creative Aurvana Live! (same OEM model as Denon D1001). They utterly destroyed the CAL!s. Not even in the same league - speaking of which D1001/CAL! is very over-rated IMO.

At only £50 from play.com now, I think they're a bit of a bargain.

By extension their Phitek OEM stablemate the Audio Technica ATH-ANC7s (which I've not heard but have been told are very similar) must also be under-rated, given the lack of attention they get here.

Aug 28, 2009 at 12:45 PM Post #123 of 197
Quote:

Originally Posted by brokensound /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Overrated: HD650
Underrated: HD580

The HD650 may have better extension on both ends, but musically it's difficult to call the 650 better than the 580.

Funny, I owned both 580 and 600. Couldn't live with them--way too forward upper mids making them harsh on strings etc. 650, much smoother and more natural.

Of course, if you don't listen to acoustic music this may never be noticed.

Dec 10, 2009 at 10:00 PM Post #126 of 197
overrated: HD 650
underrated: ED 8 apparently since there is no reason why not everyone would fall in love with this
biggrin.gif

Dec 10, 2009 at 10:06 PM Post #128 of 197
Overrated: Shure SE530
Underrated/Not rated at all xD: Audio Technica AD1000PRM

Dec 10, 2009 at 10:27 PM Post #131 of 197
Quote:

Originally Posted by brooce /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Over-rated:
Sony MDR-V6
Sennheiser HD 595
Sennheiser HD 555
+ no doubt so many others I haven't listened to that are hyped every day here.

The V6 doesnt get a lot of keystroke love on Head-Fi, but I 100% agree with you on the other two.

Dec 10, 2009 at 11:14 PM Post #132 of 197
Quote:

Originally Posted by estreeter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The V6 doesnt get a lot of keystroke love on Head-Fi, but I 100% agree with you on the other two.

I think it's the best possible all around headphone anybody getting into audio can start with. Great bass, plenty of mids, and sharp treble. From there you can figure out what you don't like and go from there.

beerchug.gif

Overrated for me is the HD600/HD650, it didn't particularly mesmerize me. Underrated, SR325i.

Dec 11, 2009 at 2:23 AM Post #133 of 197
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aynjell /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great bass, plenty of mids, and sharp treble. Underrated, SR325i.

Sorry, couldnt resist ! I love my 325s, but ,wow, they really bring out the haters - many of whom own and enjoy Grados of their own ...

Dec 11, 2009 at 3:57 AM Post #134 of 197
Overrated: AKG 701's. I purchased them on a friend's recommendation. Big mistake! Weak bass, and just plain cold sounding. I ran them continuously for 2 weeks straight to break them in but they still didn't float my boat. Luckily I was able to sell them for pretty much what I paid.

Dec 11, 2009 at 4:11 AM Post #135 of 197
Overrated: HD650, K701, SR60/80

The HD650 is my favorite of these, but I simply can't bring myself to like their sound. As for the K701s, I recognize how fantastically detailed and accurate they are, but I prefer fun headphones, not analytical. SR60/80 are just way too overhyped for their price.

Underrated: Denon D series, they are great out of the box and only improve as you modify them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back