Most overrated and most underrated headphones
Jul 26, 2009 at 10:48 PM Post #16 of 197
Most overrated is the AD700 hands down.

For underrated.. well, I don't think the MS1 is underrated, so I'd have to go with perhaps the JVC RX series? Not sure, they are kinda underrated but have a big thread here.

Jul 26, 2009 at 11:00 PM Post #17 of 197
Overrated:

Bose Triports - well, it's comfy and....??

Ultrasone ED9 - shocked by the price vs. performance difference.

SR60/225/325i - probably the headphones I hate the most....bass is overwhelming with little, if any, soundstage. SR60 simply sounds like static noise around my head.

Audio Technica ATH-A1000X, W5000 - they look very pretty and I wanted to like them, but the coloration really put me off. W5000's midrange is just weird to listen to...not bad for jazz though.

Sony SA3000/5000 - way too bright and colored for my liking.

Underrated:

K601s - in my opinion, they offer a lot for the money....neutral, good stage, and has tight bass.

Stax SR-404 - has flaws with the midrange, but bass is very nice and tight....I think it's a good value relative to the electrostat big boys.

Jul 26, 2009 at 11:41 PM Post #19 of 197
I haven't the experience to provide a lot of insight, but I have no reservations on having a pair of Triports. They are way overpriced but they are some sturdy little buggers. Were they viewed as 60-75USD phones, I think their sq would have a little more credence. I got the Senn Pro 900's in part because I thought they'd travel as well as the Triports. Having gotten used to them I don't think they will, but I'll probably take them anyway, risk be damned.

Fidel - what's the coloration issue with the AT W5000's?

Jul 27, 2009 at 12:24 AM Post #20 of 197
The K601 is actually picking up a lot of interest here lately, and many members are expressing a liking over the K701. But yes, in previous years especially no one would recommend current line AKG except for K701 a handful of the lower priced portables.

Jul 27, 2009 at 12:35 AM Post #21 of 197
Tsc Hdpro7 - Won't win any hi fi contests on detail and such. But if you put a little foam in underneath the pads the clamp is less. Makes em more comfy. If you like techno, hiphop and other bass-heavy genres then these things will rattle your teeth. Definitely underrated.

Jul 27, 2009 at 12:54 AM Post #22 of 197
My turn! In the category of Most Overrated...
popcorn.gif

3rd place goes to the JVC Marshmallows. They tend to get far too many recommendations in the cheap earbud-replacement category. At least for me, they're painfully uncomfortable, and take some coaxing and patience to get a seal with, and even when I get a seal they really have mediocre sound at best. Maybe I simply had a bad pair, but I just couldn't bring myself to like them. And if I did have a bad pair, then that tells me that there's an issue with quality control (no surprise, I suppose). IMO, Marshmallows are outclassed by the Sansa Clip's stock earbuds.
Second most overrated is... drumroll please... Bose. (You had to know they'd be on the list somewhere.)
deadhorse.gif

Which brings us to the absolute most overrated: Skullcandy. Skullcandy is like a parody of Bose, minus the illusion of class. And boy are they horrible! From the two models I've had the displeasure of listening to, they have incredibly bloated, muddy, one-dimensional bass, and recessed treble, plus essentially no detail anywhere in the audio spectrum! If you haven't heard them (lucky you!), to give you an idea, it sounds a little like someone customized their car with an overly expensive sound system and spent most of the money on a set of overpowered subwoofers---and you're listening to whatever leaks out through the car's metal chassis, from across the street. It takes as much EQ as most MP3 players can handle just to suppress the bass enough so that you can start to hear a little detail. And even then, only a little. And to top it all off, they can be pretty overpriced. BTW, it doesn't help that you'd have to pay me to wear them in public, what with the garish skull logo and flashy, obnoxious casings. My one piece of praise, if I had to give one, would be that Skullcandy tends to make fairly comfy 'phones. But who cares, when you can't stand to wear them anyway, for any number of reasons!

As for underrated, I'd say...
Bose. ...And you're thinking, "WHAT?! You can't have it both ways!!!
mad.gif
How can they be overrated and underrated at the same time?!"
Well, let me explain!
tongue_smile.gif
They're overrated by reviewers and consumers at large. [Now you're furiously nodding agreement.] At the same time though, they get a lot of undue hate around here. They're not as bad as they're often made out to be. In fact, they're not bad at all... at least, not for most people. The problem of course, is that they're so overpriced, it's almost impossible not to look at it as them versus the more refined, more respected competition in their price range, in which case they often lose, sometimes pitifully. That doesn't make them bad products, it just makes them grossly overpriced.
bigsmile_face.gif

Jul 27, 2009 at 4:33 AM Post #26 of 197
I have to concur that Grado SR 125's are highly under rated and some Denons over rated.

Jul 27, 2009 at 4:37 AM Post #27 of 197
Quote:

Originally Posted by charliex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have to concur that Grado SR 125's are highly under rated and some Denons over rated.

I was going to put the 225s in the overrated category, but a few people have said that I need to spend more time on them, so I'll give them another try if I ever get over to one of my friend's place.

Denon's are overrated? I've had my eyes on the D2000s for a while now.

Jul 27, 2009 at 4:47 AM Post #28 of 197
Of the ones I've owned....

Most overrated: Grado RS1. And way over-priced.

Most over-priced: Grado GS1000. It's actually a very good headphone. Quite possibly the best performing headphone I currently own, but it's only worth more along the lines of about $500-600 tops.

Jul 27, 2009 at 6:20 AM Post #29 of 197
Quote:

Originally Posted by roker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was going to put the 225s in the overrated category, but a few people have said that I need to spend more time on them, so I'll give them another try if I ever get over to one of my friend's place.

Denon's are overrated? I've had my eyes on the D2000s for a while now.

I don't find the denons overrated at all.

I do think the Stax Omegas are a bit overrated, but that's mostly an issue of preference.

AD2000's may be a little underrated because they're imports and a bit overpriced, although those who own them tend to speak well of them.

Jul 27, 2009 at 7:06 AM Post #30 of 197
I'd have to agree with the K601
smily_headphones1.gif
I loved my pair when i had them, but of course i wanted to try the next and so on. I'd have to disagree with Fidel on the SA5k though
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back