Monster Turbine Appreciation Thread
Feb 24, 2011 at 9:37 AM Post #961 of 1,122
Got my refurbished Turbines from Monster yesterday, only one set of tips. I let them play for about 15 hr's before I put them in my ears, first impressions are decent. Highs were a little muddy but I'm a fan of bright speakers, my 2 channel setup speakers are planar mids and highs. I mainly got these for metro use on the train and for $50 I can't complain too much. Since my main source is a gen6 ipod classic which has a crummy DAC anyway I ended up with it set on treble boost to balance out the sound. Tips are the next big issue I'm going to try some sony hybrids or t/tx 400s .. I just hope these hold up, I've already heard the driver flex issue on the way in and out, I suspect some good tips will take care of that though, plus there is always best buy haha

Feb 27, 2011 at 5:01 AM Post #962 of 1,122
I'm another one of the lucky few who purchased these recently at Best Buy and I see on the side of the box it has the angled plug and the chin slider thing...but what was in the box was the straight plug and no slider.  Anyone know a UPC or anything that can distinguish a box with the correct headset inside?  BB had like 5 or 6 boxes of turbines so I'd really like to just swap mine out and get the newer design if possible.  I miss both features that I had on my previous Senn ie6s.  :frowning2:

Feb 27, 2011 at 12:09 PM Post #963 of 1,122
If you bought it in-store then you ccan just say that you have driver flex or something and ask for a replacement. Shouldn't cost you a thing and you shouldn't ned any special exteneded warranty.

Feb 27, 2011 at 12:56 PM Post #964 of 1,122

Quote:
If you bought it in-store then you ccan just say that you have driver flex or something and ask for a replacement. Shouldn't cost you a thing and you shouldn't ned any special exteneded warranty.

I know I can swap them...I just want to be sure I get the new model with the angle plug and the chin slider...I don't want to keep swapping them just hoping to get the newer model.  I'm trying to figure out what would differentiate the box so I don't have to open all of them.

Feb 27, 2011 at 7:16 PM Post #965 of 1,122
Futureshop gave me free 1 year replacement warranty since the first ones they sold me had been opened and someone stole the gold plated jack, and it was the last pair they had -.-. How common are the angle plugs, and what should I say if I want to use my warranty? Is there a way to test driver flex or am I safe, since I never had that problem. I'm more afraid that the cable will break near the jack since it seems to a bit worn out from use.

Feb 27, 2011 at 8:08 PM Post #966 of 1,122
PROTIP: the turbines have a 3 year warranty so don't buy the warranty from futureshop. I just got mine replaced an hour ago infact (5th pair) and I learned that the turbines with the right angle connector come in a different box than they used to.

Old headphones with straight connector
http://www.geardiary.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/outside.jpg

the new ones should look like this but with a blue background and grey headphones
http://media.photobucket.com/image/turbine%20box%20monster/Locustfist58/Copper%20Review/DSC_0109.jpg

The headphones are identical except for the connector. The area where the cable connects to the headphones is the same and neither havev the cable management slider.

Feb 28, 2011 at 12:17 AM Post #967 of 1,122
Thanks Monterto...not sure what the hell is up with mine because they are different than both the boxes you posted (yes I know one is a "pro" model)...so I still don't know which ones actually have the right angle plug and the slider.  Here is my box that I got yesterday at BB that has the straight plug and no slider:

http://img715.imageshack.us/i/img20110227201622.jpg/

And here is the side of it that states it's HAS a right angle plug and has the slider.

http://img232.imageshack.us/i/img20110227201635.jpg/

It's funny...now that I look at the pic on the box, my headphones don't even look like the ones in the picture!  The place where the wire connects to the earbud is smooth, not rigid with grooves like the one in the picture.  Also, the Monster logo on the box has little headphones on where mine just have the logo and that's it.  My headphones look exactly like the ones in the picture that you posted Monterto.  What the heck is going on?  Best Buy selling bunk stuff, or did Monster change their box and artwork before they completely ran out of the "new" turbines with the angle plug?  So lost.

Feb 28, 2011 at 1:12 AM Post #969 of 1,122
Where do you get these 'refurbished Monster Turbines'?
I checked the Monster site, and couldn't find them selling any refurbished pairs..

Also, how are the microphonics on these?
This is my biggest issue because the only IEM I own is the CX300II and I can't stand the cable noise ._.

Feb 28, 2011 at 1:29 AM Post #970 of 1,122

Quote:
Where do you get these 'refurbished Monster Turbines'?
I checked the Monster site, and couldn't find them selling any refurbished pairs..

Also, how are the microphonics on these?
This is my biggest issue because the only IEM I own is the CX300II and I can't stand the cable noise ._.

There is quite some microphonics when worn straight down.
See also review here: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/478568/multi-iem-review-150-iems-compared-jvc-ha-fx700-fad-fi-ba-ss-1964-t-added-02-27#post_6492055

Here's the outlet:
http://www.monstercable.com/outletstore/linelist.asp
Don't know if coupon still works: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/518656/the-iem-portable-headphones-deal-alerts-thread-post-them-all-here/660#post_7276595

Feb 28, 2011 at 1:33 AM Post #971 of 1,122
My box is exactly the same as yours, I was going to upload a photo but I lost my camera cable, haha! Those should be legit turbines, mine look exactly the same  as my old pair with the exception of the connector. Only the gold and copper models have the cable management slider and the fancy connecting junctions. This is simply a case of monster re-colouring the packaging for their other turbine models to save money.

Feb 28, 2011 at 1:39 AM Post #972 of 1,122

Quote:
My box is exactly the same as yours, I was going to upload a photo but I lost my camera cable, haha! Those should be legit turbines, mine look exactly the same  as my old pair with the exception of the connector. Only the gold and copper models have the cable management slider and the fancy connecting junctions. This is simply a case of monster re-colouring the packaging for their other turbine models to save money.

Wow, talk about false advertisement.
The strain relief would've been a great improvement on the standard Turbine.
Maybe they will be rolling in this change, just like how the right-angle connector started showing up on the Turbine late last year.  Here's hoping...

Actually, come to think of it, maybe that's the reason why Amazon and Monster outlet are constantly clearing out the old Turbines at discounted prices.

Feb 28, 2011 at 2:09 AM Post #973 of 1,122

Quote:

Well that doesn't make me any happier!  I want the Turbines with the new stress relief and the angle connector like I thought i was getting!  I guess there is no other way unless I have BB open each and every one.  I wonder if there are new ones coming out or if they just decided to photoshop the heck out of it.  I know some people here said they got some with the angle connector, but I haven't heard of the new stress reliefs.  Hmmm...maybe I'll call Monster and complain.  I love the headphones tho...so the only reason I'd go through this trouble is that I want them to last.

Feb 28, 2011 at 2:15 AM Post #974 of 1,122
And damn...now that I see those refurbs going for 55 bucks after shipping and tax...I think I may just order them and return the ones to Best Buy...sheesh.  Or at least have a nice pair for the gym and one for home.  Hmmm.

Feb 28, 2011 at 2:52 AM Post #975 of 1,122
If yours came in that box it SHOULD have a right angle connector. Just go exchange it.

Yeah it really does suck that they mis-represent their product like that. I really hope they release an updated version soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back