Monster Turbine Appreciation Thread
Jan 2, 2011 at 4:52 AM Post #931 of 1,122

Quote:
Great thanks! I asked a seller the dimensions of his box of Monster Turbines and they were much shorter than the measurements of yours buffalowings, so they must be fake. Thanks for taking the time to measure them for me!

I think the first version of Turbines Monster produced had a different box.

Jan 2, 2011 at 6:12 PM Post #932 of 1,122

Quote:
Quote:
Great thanks! I asked a seller the dimensions of his box of Monster Turbines and they were much shorter than the measurements of yours buffalowings, so they must be fake. Thanks for taking the time to measure them for me!

I think the first version of Turbines Monster produced had a different box.

I always thought the size of the packaging was constant except for the stuff inside

Jan 2, 2011 at 8:33 PM Post #934 of 1,122

Quote:
Quote:
Was wondering if I should go for the Turbine Pro instead of the Turbine if I can get one for around $140.  Would the improvement be worth it?

anyone?  thanks.

I would go for the gold (unintended pun, anywho, $140 for a genuine gold is a good deal, if you can afford it, go for it, if not, i can safely say the standard turbines can get you to 70/80% of golds)

Jan 4, 2011 at 2:39 AM Post #935 of 1,122
K, I'm curious.  How are you guys breaking the strain reliefs?  Are you guys pulling on them or the cables to remove the phones from you ears?  I've had the Golds, Coppers and MDs and with the exception of the typical Copper housing separation from the early batches not one other issue.  Especially the strain reliefs.  Maybe some of you should invest in over the ear guides if you are chewing up the strain reliefs somehow.  

Jan 4, 2011 at 3:54 AM Post #936 of 1,122

Quote:
K, I'm curious.  How are you guys breaking the strain reliefs?  Are you guys pulling on them or the cables to remove the phones from you ears?  I've had the Golds, Coppers and MDs and with the exception of the typical Copper housing separation from the early batches not one other issue.  Especially the strain reliefs.  Maybe some of you should invest in over the ear guides if you are chewing up the strain reliefs somehow.  

...I don't see how they'll break. The wires are not the regular IEM wire and they feel really durable.

Jan 4, 2011 at 9:42 PM Post #937 of 1,122
I have only used my pair a few times and I'm always careful with every set of IEM's I use, no matter the price. I have always grabbed by the housing itself and gently twisted 30-40 degrees until they pop out of my ears.

Jan 4, 2011 at 9:44 PM Post #938 of 1,122

Quote:

anaxilus, as much as I loved the sound of the MD's, I had to return them to bestbuy...eleven days and the right driver already blew out..and no, I didn't do any of that really aggressive burning in crud..I just removed it from my ear to make a reseal and when i inserted the phone back in, the driver was dead 

Jan 5, 2011 at 2:26 AM Post #939 of 1,122

Quote:
Quote:

anaxilus, as much as I loved the sound of the MD's, I had to return them to bestbuy...eleven days and the right driver already blew out..and no, I didn't do any of that really aggressive burning in crud..I just removed it from my ear to make a reseal and when i inserted the phone back in, the driver was dead 

I agree on the driver flex issue.  It's quite precarious and potentially damaging I imagine.  I've had to use the vacuum of my ear seal once to pop the driver back to rest position once before, not a reassuring feeling.  It's the strain relief issue that puzzles me.

Jan 5, 2011 at 7:21 PM Post #940 of 1,122

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I agree on the driver flex issue.  It's quite precarious and potentially damaging I imagine.  I've had to use the vacuum of my ear seal once to pop the driver back to rest position once before, not a reassuring feeling.  It's the strain relief issue that puzzles me.

what exactly is driver flex? I've heard it from reviews but I've never seen the actual definition 

Jan 6, 2011 at 1:09 AM Post #941 of 1,122

Quote:
what exactly is driver flex? I've heard it from reviews but I've never seen the actual definition 

I'm pretty sure they mean where the IEM's driver is being distorted by the pressure of insertion or whatever. When you insert/remove the Turbines you'll hear it as a little crackle sound, if you distort it with enough pressure it could potentially permanently damage the IEM. The stock single flange tips are the worst for this, switching to the triple-flange ones helps and so does using something like the Sony Hybrid (which is a lot more comfortable to me).

Jan 6, 2011 at 1:34 AM Post #942 of 1,122
Haywood is spot on, but I think it differs a lot from ear to ear. I get very little if any driver flex from so called mild perpetrators of this issue. The only dynamic that made this issue very noticeable were the Thinksounds TS02s while others only found it mild. 

Jan 6, 2011 at 9:56 AM Post #943 of 1,122

Quote:
Quote:

I'm pretty sure they mean where the IEM's driver is being distorted by the pressure of insertion or whatever. When you insert/remove the Turbines you'll hear it as a little crackle sound, if you distort it with enough pressure it could potentially permanently damage the IEM. The stock single flange tips are the worst for this, switching to the triple-flange ones helps and so does using something like the Sony Hybrid (which is a lot more comfortable to me).

wow, so i killed my driver by accident when I simply inserted the phones into my ears... >__>

Jan 7, 2011 at 7:53 PM Post #944 of 1,122
Hey guys. Enjoying my turbines so far, but I'm having a bit of a problem. I feel like I'm getting good isolation with the stock tips, but I think they're too small. They won't stay in. It's weird, they're constantly 'inching' out, not slipping out. I'm thinking it's probably because of the weight. Anyone have any tip suggestions?

Jan 7, 2011 at 8:27 PM Post #945 of 1,122
Today I played around with my MTPG, I poped out the grill on both the ear pieces and removed the foam in both of them and now the trrebles are more open and clearer, as if it was been coverd, but I am worried about wex build up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back