Monster Turbine Appreciation Thread
Feb 28, 2011 at 3:28 AM Post #976 of 1,122

Quote:
If yours came in that box it SHOULD have a right angle connector. Just go exchange it.

Yeah it really does suck that they mis-represent their product like that. I really hope they release an updated version soon.

The reason of the box is because there was too many fake Turbines out there and Monster needed a way to easily distinguish the fake and the real ones. That's where the new box design comes to play. The reason why it's a straight connector without better cables and strain relief is because Monster is still trying to get rid of their old stock of Turbines. That's also the reason why they have refurbished that look like new Turbines(because they're the 'new' old Turbines). They have been shipping out the new right angle connector Turbines already, however there's no way of knowing if the Turbines in the new box will have either straight or right angle connector. 

Feb 28, 2011 at 3:35 AM Post #977 of 1,122

Quote:
The reason of the box is because there was too many fake Turbines out there and Monster needed a way to easily distinguish the fake and the real ones. That's where the new box design comes to play. The reason why it's a straight connector without better cables and strain relief is because Monster is still trying to get rid of their old stock of Turbines. That's also the reason why they have refurbished that look like new Turbines(because they're the 'new' old Turbines). They have been shipping out the new right angle connector Turbines already, however there's no way of knowing if the Turbines in the new box will have either straight or right angle connector. 

Right...that's my problem.  I don't want to exchange mine, which sound great, for a "chance" that the new ones might have the right angle connector and the newer rigid cable connections.  I'd rather stick with what I've got than deal with that charade.  It would just be nice to get what I was promised on the package.  How is that even legal?  The pic and the description on the box are clearly different headphones!  It jut kind of pisses me off from a moral standpoint.  If they didn't sound so good I'd return them on principle.  :)

Feb 28, 2011 at 6:10 PM Post #978 of 1,122
Just noticed the Turbines went on sale from Amazon.com brand new for 73 bucks.  I'm picking up a pair just to see if I'm lucky enough to get the angle connector.  Will return the Best Buy ones regardless because I paid 60 bucks more for them!  Unless the Amazon ones are defective of course.  Sheesh...all this trouble just to get THE pair of Turbines I want to marry for the next six months, or until I feel the need to try something new.  :)

http://www.amazon.com/Monster-Turbine-High-Performance-In-Ear-Speakers/dp/B001LNO722/ref=pd_bxgy_e_p_b

Feb 28, 2011 at 6:15 PM Post #979 of 1,122

Quote:
If yours came in that box it SHOULD have a right angle connector. Just go exchange it.

Yeah it really does suck that they mis-represent their product like that. I really hope they release an updated version soon.

I notice that you own both the SRH840 and the monster turbines, how do they compare?

Feb 28, 2011 at 6:47 PM Post #980 of 1,122
The turbines are a great solution for portable listenning but I enjoy the 840s much better. While the turbines have a nice boomy bass that's alot of fun to listen to, the 840s bass sound more controlled and refined. The separation and soundstage on the 840s is much better than the turbines and the highs extend farther in addition to more pronounced mids. In terms of isolation both are quite good. With a bit of EQ work the turbines really shine, but they still fall short compared to the 840s IMO. If you have to make a choice between the two and SQ is your only deciding factor go for the 840s. If form factor is a big concern, the turbines are great SQ for the price since they go on sale so often.

Mar 3, 2011 at 7:13 PM Post #981 of 1,122
I just got my Turbines from the Amazon Goldbox sale today and just put them on to find out the right side doesn't work at all!!! What I got excited for nothing!! Judging from just hearing the leftside (while trying to imagine hearing the right too) I am glad I did not buy these for over 100 dollars but the bass is pretty fun sounding they freakin thump for IEMs.

Mar 3, 2011 at 10:39 PM Post #984 of 1,122
The patience will pay off, but people should be wary of older batches of the Turbines. There's always a probability of getting a bad one. 

Mar 3, 2011 at 10:56 PM Post #985 of 1,122
The turbines are prone to driver flex issues. try giving the headphone a flick while its in your ear, it might start working. I've had many pairs of turbines and almost all of them have done this, my new current pair hasn't yet though....

Mar 4, 2011 at 1:53 AM Post #986 of 1,122
Well I got my pair from Amazon today and luckily they've got the right angle plug.  Awww yeah.  Now I get to return my pair from Best Buy and net 60 bucks on the deal.  Can't beat it.

Mar 4, 2011 at 2:03 AM Post #987 of 1,122
got mine from the recent deal as well. theyre an old batch, straight plug, but luckily sound amazing. absolutely no imbalance from left driver to right. they completely blow my M2s out of the water and they sound better overall than the C3. its interesting how some people got the newer batches. im lovin my oldies though

Mar 4, 2011 at 2:18 AM Post #988 of 1,122
Quote:
got mine from the recent deal as well. theyre an old batch, straight plug, but luckily sound amazing. absolutely no imbalance from left driver to right. they completely blow my M2s out of the water and they sound better overall than the C3. its interesting how some people got the newer batches. im lovin my oldies though

Probably because I'm on my third pair now...I was bound to get an angled cable eventually.  :)  Definitely weird tho...I guess it's just the luck of the draw for another few months while Monster and their retailers get through their older stock.

Mar 5, 2011 at 2:36 PM Post #989 of 1,122
Well, finally joined the club.  Received them from Amazon yesterday and I am lovin' the sound indeed.  I had given up on IEMs after the Super.fi5 pro, due to the fit on those and how long it took to get a good seal.  These are awesome....

Cheers

beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back