Monster Cable Turbine Pro Copper vs. the IE8, CK10, CK90Pro (modded), RE252, triple.fi 10, FX500, WM2 silver, and Some e-Q7
Mar 22, 2010 at 12:04 AM Post #31 of 58
Great Review Joe!

After singing my praises for the Copper different places on this site, reading your review is real confirmation the Copper is worthy of this praise.

The work you do serves all members of this community old and new and your ability is matched only by your sheer tenacity.

Thank you also for inspiring experimentation. Since reading your review I have retipped several IEMs. One in particular is the new Hippo VB. (variable bass) The reason I'm even mentioning this is because your attention to tip choices is fascinating (and enlightening) and frankly, worth every minute of time spent.

But anyway, before I get accused of being a fanboy or your head swells too big I'll just thank you again for the great review and hope you keep up the good work.

Mar 22, 2010 at 2:05 AM Post #32 of 58
Great work @average_joe!

Nice to see the Copper stands up so well against others. No no, my next IEM purchase is a custom, no more universal
tongue.gif

Mar 22, 2010 at 2:12 AM Post #33 of 58
^ I hope my next purchase is a custom as well..2 decent universals should be more than enough hopefully.

Mar 22, 2010 at 2:17 AM Post #34 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by rawrster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ I hope my next purchase is a custom as well..2 decent universals should be more than enough hopefully.

What?! You are calling the e-Q7 "decent."? Rrrrrrrrrrraaawwwrrrr....
mad.gif

Mar 22, 2010 at 2:19 AM Post #35 of 58
lol
smily_headphones1.gif
well i interchange decent with good/great/etc a lot of times. also i only had 3 days or so of trying them out which is hardly enough time to give them a proper judging. also i wont have access to them for 2 weeks so i think that's fine :p

Mar 22, 2010 at 2:28 AM Post #36 of 58
Quote:

lol
smily_headphones1.gif
well i interchange decent with good/great/etc a lot of times. also i only had 3 days or so of trying them out which is hardly enough time to give them a proper judging. also i wont have access to them for 2 weeks so i think that's fine :p

Well, please don't do that. It drives me insane when someone calls a hi-fi piece of audio equipment "decent". I feel like ripping that dude apart.... Rrrraawwwwrrr....
angry_face.gif

Quote:

lol
smily_headphones1.gif

That sucks. I hope you'll like them. Eagerly awaiting your impressions.
icon10.gif

Mar 22, 2010 at 2:35 AM Post #37 of 58
I shall now go and call everything hi-fi decent
smily_headphones1.gif
lol..It's not that big a loss as I am fairly busy next 2 weeks anyway so don't have as much time as I would like for listening and seeing how I have been using my CK10 for a while it's nothing different for me

anyway back on topic..how does the CK90pro change with the foam removed compared to it having it? I briefly remember something about the treble being better?

Mar 22, 2010 at 3:08 AM Post #38 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by a_recording /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great write up Joe! I noticed that you said for some tests you added back the foam for the CK90Pro. I was wondering (I think you mentioned this in another thread) if you added the original foam, or some other less dense kind. (And if you did, where was it from?)

I'm really surprised to hear that in most cases the 90Pro seemed to have more bass (though less reverb) and more clarity than the coppers. (I assumed it would be the other way around.) How similar did the 90Pro sound signature compare to the e-Q7?

I for one think it's definitely the other way around. The Coppers extend significantly lower in the bottom end than the CK90Pro, to my ears of course. For me, it's no contest, as the dynamic drivers of the Coppers simply out perform the BA drivers of the AT's, providing more impact and tactile feel. On all of my music genres, the Coppers simply have a more present low end.

Mar 22, 2010 at 3:20 AM Post #39 of 58
On a blackberry, so I will respond to what I can recall...

Thank you all for your kind words. I am glad that you guys agree and some of you can figure out what the Copper would sound like from my review. And I will be happy to explain anything you want, if it is unclear (or I didn't get my point across adequately).

CK90...removed the foam completely, but the treble was too strong and harsh with some tracks, especially during loud, intense parts of songs. The foam I put back in is ear bud pads, as I didn't want the same density. I could probably have put in a little more, but it is close to being perfect!

The Copper can be a bass head IEM, or a well balanced IEM depending on tips. The PFE tips do give the Copper more low end oomph than the e-Q7.

As far as the IE8 and ticking...what might have been missed in my notes is at a comparable volume, the Copper among others ticks, the IE8 (and CK10) does not. I should have used the Fuze HPO for a standardized volume. The IE8 has better micro-detail than the Copper in the mid region (but it is a little harder to hear, but is there none the less). Of course, on the flip side the Copper has better bass detail.

As far as enough universals and going for customs...I am enjoying having all the different sound sig options, and a custom would limit me to one. I guess you could have multiple customs, though. And I think HPA beat me to that thread.

Mar 22, 2010 at 5:58 AM Post #40 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by cn11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I for one think it's definitely the other way around. The Coppers extend significantly lower in the bottom end than the CK90Pro, to my ears of course. For me, it's no contest, as the dynamic drivers of the Coppers simply out perform the BA drivers of the AT's, providing more impact and tactile feel. On all of my music genres, the Coppers simply have a more present low end.

IMO, this is about tips and fit of the Copper (as well as CK90), as well as the song (frequency and reverb of the bass notes). If you look at the review notes, the CK90 struggled with the bass in rap songs (I used two specifically because of the CK90 bass). But with other songs, the CK90 sounds magnificent.

With the tip configuration I was using, the bass impact of the CK90 was a bigger kick in the head than the Copper, but the duration of the notes was generally shorter. The Copper bass is what I have come to expect from my car/home stereo sound.

Both extend down to 20 Hz for me. I will have to listen to the CK90 with a frequency sweep to really tell what is going on at certain frequencies, but I won't be able to until Thursday at the earliest.

Mar 23, 2010 at 9:43 PM Post #41 of 58
Thanks for the review. Your dedication and help is appreciated.

Someday I would like to know how did Monster pulled this one off?

I would like to know the whole process from idea to testing and manufacturing. I know we will probably never know. But considering they just gotten started with headphones not so long ago is an amazing feat, that, unlike most of their other cable products, all of the claims they make on their site about the Coppers are true.

Mar 24, 2010 at 8:54 AM Post #42 of 58
@ eat2na: Thanks for your compliment. And while we probably won't ever know exactly how they did it, I think they did utilize head-fi to figure out what to shoot for.

What they have done is similar to what Sennheiser did with the IE8, which is R&D to make a great product that should be a top performer for a long time running. I am glad I have the Copper, and am considering the MD...

Mar 24, 2010 at 11:50 AM Post #43 of 58
Looks like Monster's copper is a winner with all the glowing reviews. Initially quite skeptic of monster's products, especially their overpriced HDMI cables. Now should i get the copper or to wait for Shure 535.......hmmm. Thots anyone?

Apr 16, 2010 at 12:26 AM Post #45 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pianist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, please don't do that. It drives me insane when someone calls a hi-fi piece of audio equipment "decent". I feel like ripping that dude apart.... Rrrraawwwwrrr....
angry_face.gif

That sucks. I hope you'll like them. Eagerly awaiting your impressions.
icon10.gif

Rrrrrrrrrrrraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaw-ster?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back