Mid-High end iem upgrade from re0
Jun 14, 2011 at 1:18 PM Post #31 of 46
Quote:
Well I'm just one person but to me my CK10 have that subtlety and delicacy, only more so than my RE0.

That's good to hear. I may try CK10 some day, although I think that for a dual BA it's a tad too expensive. That quite a feat for a BA driver to match or surpass a good dynamic in delicacy. The only BA I've heard that just might be somewhat comparable to RE0 in this regard is the Shure SE535/535 and I also heard something similar in Westone UM2. Every other BA just sounds too schematic by comparison. Of course, I am just nitpicking here and most people probably won't even understand what I am talking about. Everybody is different. Some can't stand BA treble, while others are OK with it. I seem to be sensitive to other aspects of BA sound.

Jun 14, 2011 at 1:50 PM Post #32 of 46
As a fan of the RE0 I must say I won't still put them on quite the same level as the CK10s - the CK10s sound amazing. I can't even describe it properly. The RE0s are ridiculously good for the price, yes, but I will call the CK10s "better". To my ears, of course. Then again, the signature is very similar so if one is looking for a change from the RE0 sound maybe one should look elsewhere.

Jun 14, 2011 at 3:02 PM Post #33 of 46
I think the main problem with RE0 is that it demands a better source than most people spending $79 on headphones are willing to buy. I remember comparing RE0 with e-Q7 and out of my portables the e-Q7 blew RE0 away. But when I plugged RE0 into my Audigy 2 ZS with kxProject drivers and my MiniBox E+ RE0 beat the e-Q7. I also find the RE0 on par with e-Q5, at least when well burned in. Is CK10 better than e-Q7 and e-Q5? Maybe, but I doubt it.

Jun 14, 2011 at 4:12 PM Post #34 of 46
While you're right, the RE0 require a better source, I don't think the "better" source needs to be expensive.  The simple and cheap FiiO amps work quite well and really help the RE0 shine for the sources I've been using (E3 and E5 + iPhone 4 & Computer). 

It's just a fact of high impedance design.  You need the power to drive them or your sound will be missing something.  The CK10 are the same way, they even use it as a point of marketing.

Quote:
 With its high-impedance design, the ATH-CK10 can also provide truly impactful bass. 

http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/headphones/89d52030e41cb54c/index.html

Contrast that with lower impedance earbuds like the TF10, that can get away with being unamped and sound great.  A lot of people who sample high impedance earbuds unamped will walk away thinking they sound terrible or don't have bass.  Add an amp in and they quickly change their tune.

Panasonic HJE900 Impedance:  26 Ohms     (Known for strong bass & treble, not quite crystal clear)
Ultimate Ears TripleFi 10 Impedance:  32 Ohms    (Known for pretty balanced sound)
Audio Technica CK10 Impedance:  55 Ohms   (Clean and balanced, reputation for weak bass when unamped)
HiFiMan RE0 Impedance: 64 Ohms 
eek.gif
    (Weak bass unamped but crystal clear sound)

If you think the RE0 with enough power beat the e-Q7 and match the e-Q5's, you really should try the CK10's with a good source. 

I'd really like to check out the Ortofon's sometime, I just can't justify spending money on yet another pair of earbuds, especially more Japan imports...

Jun 14, 2011 at 4:28 PM Post #35 of 46
These are very cool posts, and yeah, the ck10 is pretty smooth and delicate, but it does decay too quickly and have a clarity spike at 10~11kHz to be called a true reference IEM, I like the clarity spike because it adds a nice flavour to the ck10, I think the nozzle is made out of titanium and uses a certain filter, so that's why it sounds different than the DBA-02, or the Q-Jays? I never knew the Q-Jays had the same driver, that's very interesting, I wonder what it sounds like? I'm not interested in the DBA-02 after the FR graphs I saw and build quality issues, for me one of the winning points of the CK10 is it's super flat FR with a touch on the high-end (some may like it, some may not).

Anyway I just reviewed the ck10 in full, and now I am listening to the song Pianist linked
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89f9EPq_GtU

I don't think I've heard such a buttery smooth song in my life!  (still using ck10...)

I think I'll go include it in my review, it sounds too good!

Jun 15, 2011 at 12:40 AM Post #36 of 46

Quote:

I went to read up on re262 n e-q5 comparisons, and they seem pretty even. Both seem microphonic tho. Hm, but the re262 seems to like being amped, but is cheaper ($149 vs $248). Have there been reports of e re262 cable dying early? Like my re0s (7 mths)

I've had mine for months and I don't think there's any chance my re-262 will break soon.  the cable is reasonably durable, if a bit stiff, and the cable reinforcements are quite good. 

Quote:

Panasonic HJE900 Impedance:  26 Ohms     (Known for strong bass & treble, not quite crystal clear)
Ultimate Ears TripleFi 10 Impedance:  32 Ohms    (Known for pretty balanced sound)
Audio Technica CK10 Impedance:  55 Ohms   (Clean and balanced, reputation for weak bass when unamped)
HiFiMan RE0 Impedance: 64 Ohms 
eek.gif
    (Weak bass unamped but crystal clear sound)

Let's not forget the re-262 have 150Ω resistance!  They're tolerable unamped, by they really sound much more alive and dynamic amped.  Just overall better. 

Jun 15, 2011 at 6:31 PM Post #38 of 46
Ok, bad news: the new RE0 version doesn't sound as good as the older RE0 I have right now. Not even close. I AB'ed the two directly and the older one sounds much smoother, much more even and dynamic. The only hope is burn in, but the new RE0 must undergo one heck of a change with burn in to compete with the old one. I have a feeling that Hifiman may have ruined the RE0 sound with the last update. That will mean that real RE0 is basically out of production. This new version is significantly inferior sound quality wise so far.
frown.gif

Jun 15, 2011 at 7:21 PM Post #39 of 46
I just bought a pair of RE0 last week from the Amazon reseller.  They've been great so far.  They sound exactly like I was expecting them to from the reviews on here.  

They came in a little clear plastic clamshell box, not the box they have pictured on the head-direct.com website.  I'll take a picture later if you'd like to see what they came in.  What did your packaging look like?

Maybe I lucked out and got the previous revision.  Or perhaps you got a bad set?  Try and send them in for a warranty exchange.

Jun 15, 2011 at 7:27 PM Post #40 of 46
Quote:
I just bought a pair of RE0 last week from the Amazon reseller.  They've been great so far.  They sound exactly like I was expecting them to from the reviews on here.  

They came in a little clear plastic clamshell box, not the box they have pictured on the head-direct.com website.  I'll take a picture later if you'd like to see what they came in.  What did your packaging look like?

Maybe I lucked out and got the previous revision.  Or perhaps you got a bad set?  Try and send them in for a warranty exchange.

But the thing is you haven't heard the older versions, or have you? And the sound is certainly not like that of a defective set. There is no channel imbalance and all frequencies are there. It's just that the sound quality seemingly decreased. Check out my post # 1748 in this thread..

Jun 15, 2011 at 7:41 PM Post #41 of 46
Yeah replied to you there.

No I have not heard the older versions so I can't do an AB test with them.  I can only compare them to the CK10, which they are often compared to for their neutrality.  That's why I say there is the similarity.  And nothing about them screams "these suck" like you're saying, other than the fact that they must be amped to sound acceptable.

But yes, I don't have a pre-V4 set to compare mine to.  All I can say is I am not disappointed in them, they're exactly as I was expecting them to be.

Jun 15, 2011 at 9:12 PM Post #42 of 46
the DBA-02's are an easy choice for an upgrade from the RE0.

i did a side by side comparison today for the heck of it like ive already done before and came to the same conclusions that the Fischers just wipe the floor with the RE0. the highs are more sparkly on the RE0 but that is the only thing that some people would say is better. to me, the highs make the RE0 sound unbalanced and even V shaped like when you use a bass boost because the mids sound distant and thin compared to even my Brainwavz M3's!...let alone the wonderful mids from the DBA-02. like a said, a side by side comparison would reveal this to anyone quite easily.

ive thought about selling the RE0 lately and today ive def decided that i really dont have a use for them anymore.

btw...i use an S:Flo2 paired with a Leckerton UHA-4 for my main listening so my source is legit for any IEM.

Jun 15, 2011 at 9:25 PM Post #43 of 46
Let's not forget the rarely mentioned CK90 Pro here! While I haven't listened to the CK10's, I do know that they are closely related earphones.

Compared to my RE0's, the 90Pros offer an even faster sound (which is pretty startling), with slightly toned down but delicate treble, smooth and much fuller mids and controlled bass that goes down low -apparently lower than the CK10, and even lower than my SM3's. And they are comfortable to boot.

Supposedly, according to joker's review, "For one it is much darker-sounding than both – while the CK10 and CK100 are both somewhat bright, the CK90Pro is just shy of neutral, leaning slightly away from brightness. The CK90Pro also has the most impactful bass of the three, perhaps due to the acoustic horn setup of the sound channel. Its extension is very impressive, offering flatter bass than the CK100 and coming quite close to the linearity of the CK10 without as much of a sacrifice in low end quantity."

Hope that doesn't muddy the waters for ya.

Jun 15, 2011 at 10:29 PM Post #44 of 46
Quote:
the DBA-02's are an easy choice for an upgrade from the RE0.

i did a side by side comparison today for the heck of it like ive already done before and came to the same conclusions that the Fischers just wipe the floor with the RE0. the highs are more sparkly on the RE0 but that is the only thing that some people would say is better. to me, the highs make the RE0 sound unbalanced and even V shaped like when you use a bass boost because the mids sound distant and thin compared to even my Brainwavz M3's!...let alone the wonderful mids from the DBA-02. like a said, a side by side comparison would reveal this to anyone quite easily.

ive thought about selling the RE0 lately and today ive def decided that i really dont have a use for them anymore.

btw...i use an S:Flo2 paired with a Leckerton UHA-4 for my main listening so my source is legit for any IEM.

I disagree. I found DBA-02 highs brighter than those on RE0 and the DBA-02 is the one that can sound unbalanced due to excessive treble energy, while RE0 highs are perfectly neutral and controlled. To each their own.

Jun 15, 2011 at 10:43 PM Post #45 of 46
According to this graph the dba has both low and high-end roll-off http://assets.head-fi.org/b/b8/b84adb7c_fr.png

Then again I haven't heard it, and for all I know that graph could have been drawn in paint, but I think the dba is a bit hyped, if anything - the ck10 has better build quality and titanium resonance vs plastic.
Audio Technica seem to like the sound character of Titanium and have used it in several of their products, FA seem to like sending me an earphone that falls apart before it's arrived.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back