Meier Audio Quickstep (also Stepdance and 2Stepdance) Discussion and Impressions Thread
Oct 3, 2011 at 8:13 PM Post #1,801 of 3,070
does anyone else get a little crackling noise occasionally? Over the last few weeks i have noticed it on quiet passages of music. If I turn the volume knob a few times it seems to go away. The sound is like when you turn the volume up and can hear the steps of the digital gain.

Oct 5, 2011 at 5:11 AM Post #1,802 of 3,070
Yes, I do - on both of my Stepdances, but it's very, very infrequent.  I have no idea what precipitates it, but it seems to go away as fast as it happens without any action on my part.  If it weren't for the fact that it only happens maybe once every 10 hours of listening, I'd be troubled by it.  As it is, I'm just curious as to why it happens.

Oct 5, 2011 at 9:22 AM Post #1,803 of 3,070
that's great... Well you know what I mean Mike!

MIne is infrequent as well and usually a few back and forth turns of the volume knob makes it go away. Funny, i know static can happen in analog pots but I did not know it could happen in digital ones!

Oct 5, 2011 at 2:31 PM Post #1,804 of 3,070
Quote:
Yes, I do - on both of my Stepdances, but it's very, very infrequent.  I have no idea what precipitates it, but it seems to go away as fast as it happens without any action on my part.  If it weren't for the fact that it only happens maybe once every 10 hours of listening, I'd be troubled by it.  As it is, I'm just curious as to why it happens.

x3. It happened for the first time in ages last week. Then promptly went away. No biggie.

Oct 5, 2011 at 2:39 PM Post #1,805 of 3,070

Quote:
does anyone else get a little crackling noise occasionally? Over the last few weeks i have noticed it on quiet passages of music. If I turn the volume knob a few times it seems to go away. The sound is like when you turn the volume up and can hear the steps of the digital gain.

I have it too and after writing with Jan; I ve got the answer that it is due to the electronic switches of the digital volume control..

Oct 5, 2011 at 2:45 PM Post #1,806 of 3,070
Paul and Mono, thanks so much for your replies. So it seems it is just one of the little foibles of the amp. As I say, like everyone else it goes away when the knob is turned back and forth a couple of times.

Actually, with the warmth and vinyl feeling the CLAS brings to the music the crackles remind me of listening to vinyl!

Oct 5, 2011 at 2:52 PM Post #1,807 of 3,070
Like I do right now :) even though the CLAS is a DUAL player :)

Oct 6, 2011 at 10:49 PM Post #1,808 of 3,070
I'm somewhat inexperienced and finally purchased one of these babies (the first Stepdance) from somebody on here, been having some problems: 

I'm currently using the line out of my iPhone 3GS into it as I have no application from my MacBook or a DAC (yet). Previously, I could listen to my HD595's for endless hours without fatigue, sometimes for stretches of background music for 10-12 hours whilst studying or doing papers, etc. Since I got the Stepdance, my ears seem to get fatigued regardless of volume level much, much faster, and with some seemingly random materiel, in as little as 20-30 minutes. 

I have 9v battery, but I rarely use them and typically just have it plugged into an outlet, and additionally, there seems to be a.. I don't know some 'noise' and a subtle sort of ringing as well, and I wonder if that could be the cause of my fatigue/if that's normal. 

In the past few days, even when plugged in, the blue light will waver and occasionally go out, until it went out completely, and only comes back on randomly. I'm concerned. 

Any thoughts to what's going on/what should I do? 

Lastly, I was wondering if anyone has a simple 'how to' for the easiest 15v battery to purchase and setup with this, I understand it's a tad complicated.

Best,

-Vader

Oct 7, 2011 at 4:06 PM Post #1,809 of 3,070
Hi Vader,

Two questions:  

Do these problems go away when you use a fresh 9V battery internally?

When you say you normally have it plugged into an outlet, what are you using as a PSU?  
   Make and model?
   How many Volts DC?  
   How many amps or milliamps?
   Switched or Linear?  
   Regulated or non-regulated?

I don't know of any truly easy way to come up with a 15V battery, but we can pursue that later...

Mike

Oct 15, 2011 at 4:45 PM Post #1,810 of 3,070
I tried searching through this thread to find out more about the gain switches on the original Stepdance, but besides them being inside the battery door compartment I found nothing else. 

Looking in the battery compartment I saw 3 switches which I assume are for gain.  So do I have to switch all 3 to the left in order to operate using low gain? 

Also, could anyone explain to me why are there 3 switches?  When I tried mixing them I get distortion, so I assume it should be set at either all left or all right, correct?

Nvm, just found the anwer: http://www.head-fi.org/t/507835/meier-audio-stepdance-and-2stepdance-discussion-and-impressions-thread/60#post_6899133

Oct 15, 2011 at 10:15 PM Post #1,811 of 3,070
Is it normal for my Stepdance to start sounding slightly distorted after 3-4 hours of play using Powerex 9.6v 250mah rechargables @ high current + low gain mode?  Also, I have read that low resistance iems should use high current mode, but how does the sound change when using low or high current?  I tried flipping the current switch back and forth on the Stepdance while listening to the same song without noticing any change, is it because I need to wait a while or does the current change take effect right away?

Oct 15, 2011 at 11:46 PM Post #1,812 of 3,070
Jan stated high current mode gives the absolute best sound quality and i have found that to be the case.. Of course running the external 15V it automatically switches to that mode anyway. I found when using 9v batteries the sound quality dropped slightly just before they ran out. I would imagine the batteries are not supplying the full power so it would effect sound.

The sound change, like that of the CLAS is for me one of those things that is noticed more after extended listening and then going back to the former. It is then I noticed the difference more and it was not so much detail but feeling and emotion of the music.

If you don't mind adding another brick to the stack I really strongly recommend doing the external 15v mod, it really adds a great deal to the amps capability!

Oct 16, 2011 at 10:42 AM Post #1,814 of 3,070

Quote:
Is it normal for my Stepdance to start sounding slightly distorted after 3-4 hours of play using Powerex 9.6v 250mah rechargables @ high current + low gain mode?  Also, I have read that low resistance iems should use high current mode, but how does the sound change when using low or high current?  I tried flipping the current switch back and forth on the Stepdance while listening to the same song without noticing any change, is it because I need to wait a while or does the current change take effect right away?

In general, low resistance headphones need more current whereas high resistance headphones need more voltage. Concerning the rechargeable battery, it is normal that the sound distorts just before there is no more sound :). Like Ianmedium stated is the best sound quality given in high current mode. Nevertheless to hear a difference also depends of the whole chain you are using.. 

Oct 16, 2011 at 11:35 AM Post #1,815 of 3,070
Quote:

for 250mah, I wouldnt suggest using high current, battery life runs out just too fast

try to get at least a 500mah if you want to use high current

Users who are viewing this thread

Back