Meier Audio Quickstep (also Stepdance and 2Stepdance) Discussion and Impressions Thread
Sep 17, 2011 at 4:43 PM Post #1,771 of 3,070
Having said that I am also victim to upgradeitis so will be getting an L3 at some point soon just to see if there is any improvement ( I toyed with the continental but fine amp that I am sure it is after reading a number of reviews I think it might not quite be what I am looking for)

Have you considered the SR71B in balanced mode? Skylab compared it with the L3 and he says it does alot better, and that was without a balanced input.

I was VERY close to getting the LCD2 and sr71b this last week, but decided to widen up and stick with the JH3A

I must admit I have given it thought, though I think the differences in single ended mode would not be great enough to justify the extra expense and from what I read the L3's sound signature in single ended mode appeals to me on the upgrade path.

I did toy with the idea of the SR71B in balanced mode but then I would have the added expense of Balanced cabling for my Etymotic ER4S's and LCD's which is considerable, A shame as I really like Ray's philosophy and when I emailed him about various amp options a year ago he was so helpful and kind. I would love to pass some business his way at some point as he is a top fellow. Hmm, you have me thinking now though. Perhaps start off single ended then over the next year upgrade my cabling!!

Sorry I forgot to respond to your PM, it has been hectic on the work and travel front again so I have been in Europe and on set a lot!

The offer is still there to listen to my rig with the LCD's. Must admit JH will not get one red cent out of me with the way they handled the 3A debacle, I know they make good products but it has really put me off them, good luck in your quest though.

Sep 17, 2011 at 4:48 PM Post #1,772 of 3,070
I must admit I have given it thought, though I think the differences in single ended mode would not be great enough to justify the extra expense and from what I read the L3's sound signature in single ended mode appeals to me on the upgrade path.

I did toy with the idea of the SR71B in balanced mode but then I would have the added expense of Balanced cabling for my Etymotic ER4S's and LCD's which is considerable, A shame as I really like Ray's philosophy and when I emailed him about various amp options a year ago he was so helpful and kind. I would love to pass some business his way at some point as he is a top fellow. Hmm, you have me thinking now though. Perhaps start off single ended then over the next year upgrade my cabling!!

Sorry I forgot to respond to your PM, it has been hectic on the work and travel front again so I have been in Europe and on set a lot!

The offer is still there to listen to my rig with the LCD's. Must admit JH will not get one red cent out of me with the way they handled the 3A debacle, I know they make good products but it has really put me off them, good luck in your quest though.

Have you read his comparisons of the three amps? sr71b, l3, and stepdance?

Sep 17, 2011 at 4:53 PM Post #1,773 of 3,070

Have you read his comparisons of the three amps? sr71b, l3, and stepdance?

It's like a bible to me!!

Sep 17, 2011 at 4:54 PM Post #1,774 of 3,070
Skylab claims balanced really beats the other two in all aspects. :| I think it's well worth it to upgrade ^-^ and I'm sure you'll get pretty good deals on the cables too; may I suggest Peter (scootermafia) @ Double Helix Cables. He's a very nice fellow to deal with, and has a good sense of humor as well. Excellent customer service. :) It's all up to you though, if you're willing to fork out 720 dollars for the SR71B, unless you're willing to wait for Br777 to sell his SR71B once he gets his JH3A. :p

Sep 17, 2011 at 5:08 PM Post #1,775 of 3,070
It has got me thinking though there is something about the L3 that still keeps me moving towards that. Unexpected extra travelling prevented me ordering it sooner. I will ponder it all this weekend, thanks for the info on cables. I am committed at some point to Qusp though as he has been so helpful with advice on upgrading cables.

Sep 17, 2011 at 5:39 PM Post #1,776 of 3,070
Qusp is wonderful to deal with as well, as he had helped me alot too! :)
Don't forget the drawbacks to the L3, wood case, plugs not fitting, and not coming with a charger... But it still holds its own against the SR71B.

The reason why I opted for the SR71B is, if I got the L3... or any other SE amp, it would've left me thinking to myself, "what if I went balanced?" The fact that it does yield better sound according to Skylab himself, who underestimated balanced before he went ahead and tried and was surprised, made me go for the SR71B. I also have a problem with "what if's" which is why I went for the JH3A instead of something like the UERM... I need to lock myself out of my wallet.

Sep 17, 2011 at 5:57 PM Post #1,777 of 3,070
Why do people care about having the latest technology and specs in town rather than the actual sound that they love??

JH and UE have very different type of sound and someone who loves the sound of UERM could never use JH16+J3A as a replacement even though they are 'technically superior'.

Also, the three amps (2SD, SR71B and L3) have different sound sigs so even with all the added improvements brought about by going balanced, if one doesn't like the sound of SR71B, he will just not like the sound and not enjoy SR71B.

Sep 17, 2011 at 6:00 PM Post #1,778 of 3,070
Why do people care about having the latest technology and specs in town rather than the actual sound that they love??

JH and UE have very different type of sound and someone who loves the sound of UERM could never use JH16+J3A as a replacement even though they are 'technically superior'.

Also, the three amps (2SD, SR71B and L3) have different sound sigs so even with all the added improvements brought about by going balanced, if one doesn't like the sound of SR71B, he will just not like the sound and not enjoy SR71B.

I say UERM because I would say its sound is most similar to the JH3A compared to anything else. Have you any knowledge about the JH3A? If so, you would've known that it provides superior clarity and detail retrieval, as well as soundstage, not to mention adjustable bass (when at 0 almost neutral). UERM provides superior clarity and detail as well, more so than some of the other neutral customs out there.

Realistically, most of us compare amps with other amps, or with the one we currently own, because we look to upgrade/build on our rig. We buy the amp, we don't like it, we can sell it, no big deal. In this particular case, we're basing everything off of this: http://www.head-fi.org/t/214588/review-portable-amp-roundup-56-portable-amps-reviewed-and-compared-final-update-12-20-10-added-rsa-sr-71b/3090#post_7214061 .

Also, at the top end of portables, amps do not provide that much of a different sound signature, where one would be totallay disgusted by one amp, but in love with another. They all sound very similar, transparent, detailed, etc. and where the differences are is when one amp sounds more recessed than another, bass extension/impact, and a few other points.

You're making lots of assumptions in your post, and I do not see your point in it either. If it isn't constructive, I would advise against arguing.

Sep 17, 2011 at 6:39 PM Post #1,779 of 3,070
The point I am making is - better technicalities do not necessary translate to the sound that one will like better. Not amp is perfect and strictly colorless.
I like what I am reading on J3H+JH16 since long ago but since I do not like the sound of JH16, I went the other way.

Of course, you can believe that way. It is not a crime and you won't get thrown into jail for that
regular_smile%20.gif

Sep 17, 2011 at 6:48 PM Post #1,780 of 3,070
I agree with you on that point. However, in this situation, upgrading was carefully thought out. My decision on the JH3A was carefully thought out as well, since it is $1800... I listen to many different genres, some requiring colorless representation, some requiring more, making the adjustable bass vital. Since I'm a bit freaky with detail, clarity, and soundstage, JH3A was a given. But the reason for the IEMs in the first place was because of my need for [semi]portability, isolation, and low-profile. The only thing I gave up was cans that had smooth, lush mids, like the LCD2...

I have to admit though, I was quite attracted to the idea of it being the latest greatest technology. :p

I like what I am reading on J3H+JH16 since long ago but since I do not like the sound of JH16, I went the other way.

I was told the bass could be adjusted to sound like a JH13, which convinced me further.

Sep 17, 2011 at 7:05 PM Post #1,781 of 3,070

Quote:
I listen to many different genres, some requiring colorless representation, some requiring more, making the adjustable bass vital. Since I'm a bit freaky with detail, clarity, and soundstage, JH3A was a given. But the reason for the IEMs in the first place was because of my need for [semi]portability, isolation, and low-profile. The only thing I gave up was cans that had smooth, lush mids, like the LCD2...

Good IEMs are actually very good and I don't really foresee anyone else carrying a LCD2 around like how ianmedium does it.
normal_smile%20.gif

For me, I like to hear what the mixing engineers want me to hear so I will just try to get the reproduction as close to the intended mix as possible. If I have the raw mix then I may fiddle around but nah, EQ-ing the overall mix is just not for me.

I have rotated between many portable rigs (Whipmod/CLAS/iQube/SD/Pico Slim/Sony dap) before sticking to my trusty mobile phone. Can't stand carrying a brick to everywhere and J3A is considerably big as well when paired with CLAS. Many people wouldn't mind but I would. Whipmod with 2SD represents the furthest I will go.
Strangely, during the course of my 'downgrading', I have just accidentally busted the prevailing belief that 'Mobile phones have really bad SQ compared to audiophile portable rig'.
wink_face.gif

Sep 17, 2011 at 7:22 PM Post #1,782 of 3,070
For me, I like to hear what the mixing engineers want me to hear so I will just try to get the reproduction as close to the intended mix as possible.

This screams UERM... Maybe JH3A when bass dial is at 0.

Yeah, I can afford to carry around the brick because I have my bag with me at all times... :p

Sep 17, 2011 at 7:46 PM Post #1,784 of 3,070
After JH3A my second choice was ES5 :) and thatbwas after intense research.

Yeah, Meier SD was my first amp ever. I loved it, got the 15v package for it, but I wanted to IEMs after experiencing the W1000X and the fullsizedness...

I'm still considering the LCD2 rig but only after my tax return :D

Sep 17, 2011 at 8:01 PM Post #1,785 of 3,070
Hmm The SD doesn't really work well with W1000X. Had it. Tried it. Didn't like it at all. That is not to say that either of them is bad just that their synergy is not good.

Hahah get the same bag and setup as ianmedium!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back