Meier Audio Quickstep (also Stepdance and 2Stepdance) Discussion and Impressions Thread
Oct 27, 2010 at 1:52 AM Post #331 of 3,070

Quote:
Anybody tried using the Ibasso D4 Line-out into the Stepdance? Dual Wolfson DACs feeding the stepdance is intriguing.
smily_headphones1.gif

Like an Sflo2.

Oct 27, 2010 at 2:21 AM Post #333 of 3,070

Quote:
Anybody tried using the Ibasso D4 Line-out into the Stepdance? Dual Wolfson DACs feeding the stepdance is intriguing.
smily_headphones1.gif

I tried it with the D4 and Stepdance prototype back in March, and the Stepdance was a small but noticeable improvement over the D4's built-in amp.  That's with the HiFlight "topkit" upgraded opamps installed in the D4, which makes it sound like an RSA P-51 clone.  The Stepdance was just a little more refined and a little less aggressive sounding, and maybe more spacious as well if I recall.  The stock D4 (from memory) is a little less rich and vivid in the mids than with the upgraded opamps in the amp section.  Power of the Stepdance prototype was also more than the D4 in 9v mode, but the prototype only ran on 12-15v wall-wart as battery function wasn't implemented yet.  If you have an HD600/800, HE-5 LE, or other demanding phones, the D4 > Stepdance is a better choice than the D4 alone.

Oct 27, 2010 at 2:53 AM Post #334 of 3,070
I have the HD600 and the D4 with upgraded opamps. I found the D4 to power the HD600 using the battery okay, but it feels like that's pushing it for the D4.I sometimes hear the sound to distort, or just lacking a little refinement. I hope the stepdance could correct that. Thanks HPA. I will consider this as well.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 27, 2010 at 10:57 AM Post #335 of 3,070
Well, as soon as Jan is back from his holidays I will be finding out how great this little amp is! I don't think I have ever been more excited in receiving an invoice!

Oct 28, 2010 at 6:11 PM Post #336 of 3,070
I have been searching this thread and found some very useful information on batteries and I like the ipower lithium ones. It would however mean ordering from the US so customs will probably jack up the price ( I am thinking of a couple of batteries and charger)

I know nothing about batteries and am about as technical as a liverwurst!
Would this one that I can get locally do me?
http://www.thesource.ca/estore/Product.aspx?language=en-CA&catalog=Online&category=Rechargable+Batteries&product=2311466

Can someone explain to me the merits of the lithium over the one mentioned in the above link. For context I usually listen for at most 3 hours a day, usually when I am writing at a coffee shop.

Currently (excuse the pun!!) I can get two of these plus a charger for $45

Oct 28, 2010 at 6:22 PM Post #337 of 3,070

Quote:
I have been searching this thread and found some very useful information on batteries and I like the ipower lithium ones. It would however mean ordering from the US so customs will probably jack up the price ( I am thinking of a couple of batteries and charger)

I know nothing about batteries and am about as technical as a liverwurst!
Would this one that I can get locally do me?
http://www.thesource.ca/estore/Product.aspx?language=en-CA&catalog=Online&category=Rechargable+Batteries&product=2311466

Can someone explain to me the merits of the lithium over the one mentioned in the above link. For context I usually listen for at most 3 hours a day, usually when I am writing at a coffee shop.

Currently (excuse the pun!!) I can get two of these plus a charger for $45

You can contact ipowerus and they will give you information of local dealer. I got my battery and charger for CAD85 here in Vancouver.

Oct 28, 2010 at 11:09 PM Post #338 of 3,070

Quote:

You can contact ipowerus and they will give you information of local dealer. I got my battery and charger for CAD85 here in Vancouver.

Thanks so much for that. I pm'd you but I just found a dealer here in Vancouver, Vancouver battery corp!

Oct 29, 2010 at 2:28 AM Post #339 of 3,070
I bought a 12vdc linear regulated power supply from RP electronic( the store in Burnaby ) with a 2,1mm to 1,3 mm adapter totally cost around 16$. I tested it with my Meier Corda 3move and it sounds the same as powered by 9v battery. I assume it would work for the Meier Stepdance.

Oct 29, 2010 at 10:30 AM Post #341 of 3,070
BCVANGUY,
Thanks so much for this info, I will look into that as well!

Oct 29, 2010 at 12:50 PM Post #342 of 3,070
Quote:
I bought a 12vdc linear regulated power supply from RP electronic( the store in Burnaby ) with a 2,1mm to 1,3 mm adapter totally cost around 16$. I tested it with my Meier Corda 3move and it sounds the same as powered by 9v battery. I assume it would work for the Meier Stepdance.

Thanks bcvanguy, i finally find one nearby! But i doubt that the one you got for 16 bucks is wall wart switched type, not linear one. They are selling linear one, the big one for 200ish.

Oct 29, 2010 at 2:23 PM Post #344 of 3,070

Interesting to see that the Stepdance is on sale retail at AV2000 in Hong Kong. Still haven't found a power supply but I try again in Sham Shui Po tomorrow.

Can you give me the address for the AV2000? Is it in Mok Kok?

Oct 29, 2010 at 3:28 PM Post #345 of 3,070

Quote:
Thanks bcvanguy, i finally find one nearby! But i doubt that the one you got for 16 bucks is wall wart switched type, not linear one. They are selling linear one, the big one for 200ish.

I am sure it is linear type, it is cheap because it is only supply 400ma current max, but it is enough for Stepdance since it consume 50ma current. The 200ish big linear one could supply up to 10A or20A or even more current which is not designed for power small appliance. Maybe you can bring you Stepdance to the store to try out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back