Meier Audio Quickstep (also Stepdance and 2Stepdance) Discussion and Impressions Thread
Sep 19, 2010 at 2:47 PM Post #196 of 3,070
I'm planning to get the sflo2 but still need alittle more time of saving up . Luckily i could still wait until Oct 15 .
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:
Which one would you get ....

A Stepdance and sflo2/t51 (total cost of about 350+140=$490 with shipping ) or a HM-602 plus re262 ( total cost $390).

Sep 19, 2010 at 5:18 PM Post #197 of 3,070

Quote:

A Stepdance and sflo2/t51 (total cost of about 350+140=$490 with shipping ) or a HM-602 plus re262 ( total cost $390).

YES    No but seriously, It all depends on what your needs are.  Which headphone(s) will you be using?

Also, I see the Head Direct price right now for the HM602 is $439

Sep 19, 2010 at 5:43 PM Post #198 of 3,070
I already ordered the HM-602 and have pair of DBA-02 that i would use instead of the re262. I was wondering if a stepdance and sflo2 would be a better combo with the DBA-02 or is that more for cans.

Sep 20, 2010 at 1:15 AM Post #199 of 3,070

I've ordered both, stepdance and the 602. I figured stepdance should outplay 602's amp section. Plus I've ordered beyer t5p and having some uncertainty about their amp reqs I'll have a little bit of different portable amps to try - maybe one will work out better than the other.

Quote:

Sep 20, 2010 at 10:47 AM Post #200 of 3,070
Wow you went all out.....i am curious to hear if the stepdance makes that much of difference with the HM-602.If your driving cans i could see how you would go that route especially the t5p. I would just be doing IEMs. I would love to hear this review when it comes out.

Sep 20, 2010 at 12:01 PM Post #201 of 3,070

StepDance is better than the amp section of Hifiman. I am using HM-801 with StepDance for listening in office and love the sound output from this combination. 

Quote:
Wow you went all out.....i am curious to hear if the stepdance makes that much of difference with the HM-602.If your driving cans i could see how you would go that route especially the t5p. I would just be doing IEMs. I would love to hear this review when it comes out.

Sep 20, 2010 at 1:09 PM Post #202 of 3,070

Quote:
I already ordered the HM-602 and have pair of DBA-02 that i would use instead of the re262. I was wondering if a stepdance and sflo2 would be a better combo with the DBA-02 or is that more for cans.

I would guess that the Stepdance would be killer for the DBAs.  AJ loves it w/ his IEMs and as we know the DBAs scale incredibly well.

Sep 20, 2010 at 1:18 PM Post #203 of 3,070

Quote:
I would guess that the Stepdance would be killer for the DBAs.  AJ loves it w/ his IEMs and as we know the DBAs scale incredibly well.

Now you've got me wanting the DBA's.  Truth be told, the vendor told me about a week ago he would shoot me an email when they are back in stock. Not like I need another pair of IEMs, it's just that this stuff is an addiction of sorts.

Sep 21, 2010 at 1:17 AM Post #204 of 3,070
Been listening to my Stepdance with some Shure SE535 for about 4 hrs today and I'm absolutely loving the sound.  The StepDance has improved the bass and soundstage and the volume control is great.  This is one special amp!

Sep 21, 2010 at 3:36 PM Post #205 of 3,070
Yay my Step Dance arrived! I've had it since yesterday evening and I've been putting it through it's paces with my iphone 4 as the source and pairing it with my UM3X.

I'm very pleased with the resulting sound. Based on my initial exposure, if I were to use one word to describe its performance, it would be 'refined'. The amp has a very neutral sound and provides a noticeable improvement in clarity, detail, instrument separation and space. It's a very clean and well controlled sound.

The UM3X are also new to me and initially I was disappointed by how warm they sound when compared to my HD 25-1, I felt they sounded overly warm. As such I'm glad the STEPDANCE is neutral as I certainly don't feel the UM3X need any extra warmth. After using the UM3X exclusively over the last day I've gotten used to their sound signature and I'm now very happy with them. When working with the STEPDANCE they provide all the great aforementioned technical improvements, such as increased detail, but with a great smoothness. They're very relaxing to listen to, with very solid bass and a precise treble which isn't harsh at all.

The STEPDANCE certainly has a quality feel to it. Almost all components, such as the battery door latch and volume knob, are made from aluminium. It has a feeling to it, perhaps imparted by it's design, which make it seem different to other - mass produced - electronics. I want to say "home made" but this isn't correct; there's a quality about it which confirms that it's the product of one man. It's quite a chunk when paired with the iphone and is barely pocket-able. It still seems like a great portable solution though, especially when you consider the quality of sound. I was expecting the volume control to be notched, given that it's described as 'stepped', but it's totally smooth. This goes for the way the volume increases when turning the volume up too, there's no hint the volume is increasing in set increments.

The only niggles I have with the STEPDANCE, and I would be grateful for other owners input here, is that even on low gain - with the STEPDANCE hooked up to the iphone line out - the lowest volume setting is surprisingly loud. When listening late at night I suspect I may want the volume a little lower than it's possible go with the STEPDANCE and the UM3X. I was expecting the lowest volume setting to be silent. It also eats through batteries. I was expecting this, based comments in this thread and Jan's stated design objectives, but still I was surprised to get less than approx. 6 hours out of it on low gain (but with the current switch set to high) with a Duracell Plus 9V Alkaline battery. I'll be investing in some rechargeables and a regulated DC power adapter for sure. With no music playing the amp is silent all the way up to about 2 o'clock, after which I can detect hiss which gets quite loud at full volume (again on low gain setting). Noise or interference, like a clicking, can also be heard while turning the volume control up past 2 o'clock. The amp is very sensitive to mobile phone interference, which is a problem when your DAP is also a phone!

I had a brief listen to my HD 25-1 with the STEPDANCE, and while it wasn't long enough to form any solid impressions, I was very impressed, and the lowest volume setting was more acceptable (but still not silent). The biggest proof of how good the STEPDANCE sounds was when I plugged the UM3X back into the headphone out of the iphone 4 - when the battery died on the STEPDANCE. It sounded a touch warmer, but also almost fuzzy by comparison, such was the loss in definition and control that I had become used to in my short listening time with the STEPDANCE.

A few photos of the STEPDANCE in situ. I hope you can forgive the impromptu and make-shift use of cable ties and Velcro to construct a portable rig!

Sep 21, 2010 at 9:42 PM Post #207 of 3,070
I like the velcro strap you use to hold it all together! Never thought about doing it that way. Was just going to wack some velcro on back of my iTouch and the stepdance instead.

Sep 21, 2010 at 9:43 PM Post #208 of 3,070
Great pics indeed. The Stepdance volume will not go down to silent. Rather the maximum volume for either gain setting is reduced downwards by 30 steps of approximately 1.5 db each. In other words, the minimum gain (for either gain setting) is about 45 db lower than the maximum.

Talk to Jan if you have sensitive ears and IEMs. The low gain can be reduced a bit further by exchanging a resistor.

Sep 21, 2010 at 11:13 PM Post #209 of 3,070
Quote:
I like the velcro strap you use to hold it all together! Never thought about doing it that way. Was just going to wack some velcro on back of my iTouch and the stepdance instead.

Doesn't that strap cover up the display on an Phone or Touch? I can't see how that would be ideal. Your idea makes more sense to me.

Of course, with a Photo, Video or Classic, a rubber band (like that types that Whiplash and iQube provide) is perfect, tucked between the wheel and display. I posted this picture before. (I no longer have the Classic but an iMod is on the way.)

Sep 22, 2010 at 7:32 AM Post #210 of 3,070
At 2010/09/18 ,I bring my souce and headphone to go the headphone's shop at Taipei city in Taiwan.

I hear the corda stepdance and test many song of the source.I feel corda stepdance is good mini AMP for my beyer's T50p.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back