Meier Audio Quickstep (also Stepdance and 2Stepdance) Discussion and Impressions Thread
Sep 5, 2010 at 3:22 AM Post #122 of 3,070
Joe, very nice. I love that funky mini LOD that you tuck in around the HP out. I see that you turn the Stepdance upside down to use it; that would work. It couldn't be more compact.

It's remarkable how well the Stepdance is driving my Dt880/600s but It still isn't burned in. Since I don't have a power supply, I am just burning in as I listen, a slow but fun process. It keeps opening up. I am only about 30 hours in.

Sep 5, 2010 at 1:15 PM Post #124 of 3,070
[size=11pt]I am going to eat some crow here. As it turns out, I am not pleased with the SQ of the Classic. It is not a good source for the Stepdance IMHO.  Don't get me wrong: all iPods sound better than anything that we deserve to be able to slip into our pockets and that includes the Classic. However, in comparative terms, the Classic is a material and meaningful step down from the iPhone 3GS, both headphone out as well as line out. It's too bad because I love the ability to carry all of my music with me.  I am taking the Classic back and returning to using my iPhone 3GS as the Stepdance source.[/size]
[size=11pt][/size]
[size=11pt]Joe, I may just take you up on the matter of modding my old iPod 5.5G. 
redface.gif
[/size]

Sep 5, 2010 at 1:31 PM Post #125 of 3,070
Why would you 'eat some crow'? Its long been known that the 3GS was the best ipod released to date and its an iphone!

Quote:
[size=11pt]I am going to eat some crow here. As it turns out, I am not pleased with the SQ of the Classic. It is not a good source for the Stepdance IMHO.  Don't get me wrong: all iPods sound better than anything that we deserve to be able to slip into our pockets and that includes the Classic. However, in comparative terms, the Classic is a material and meaningful step down from the iPhone 3GS, both headphone out as well as line out. It's too bad because I love the ability to carry all of my music with me.  I am taking the Classic back and returning to using my iPhone 3GS as the Stepdance source.[/size]
[size=11pt][/size]
[size=11pt]Joe, I may just take you up on the matter of modding my old iPod 5.5G. 
redface.gif
[/size]

Sep 5, 2010 at 1:38 PM Post #126 of 3,070

Quote:
[size=11pt][/size]
redface.gif
[/size]

bummer...sorry to hear that cooperpwc.
I guess the search goes on...
what was lacking compared to iphone 3GS? 

Sep 5, 2010 at 1:48 PM Post #127 of 3,070
Well, LevA... I was rejecting all the Classic naysayers but it turned out that everything that they were writing some two years ago (with measurements etc.) was and remains pretty much true. The Classic is a bit brittle and fatiguing in the treble and somehow the sound just doesn't fill out. It sounded empty compared to the iPhone - lacking in 3D imaging. And all of this was obvious with just my Triple-fi's. My ES5s aren't back yet. I spent two days going back and forth between the Classic and the iPhone, both with and without the Stepdance. I really realy wanted the Classic just to sound as good as the iPhone but it doesn't.

iPhone 3GS + Stepdance > iPhone 3GS > Classic 7G + Stepdance > Classic 7G.

One caveat: my Stepdance is still not close to being fully burned in. But as they say: the trend is your friend.

Sep 5, 2010 at 1:57 PM Post #129 of 3,070

Quote:
Well, LevA... I was rejecting all the Classic naysayers but it turned out that everything that they were writing some two years ago (with measurements etc.) was and remains pretty much true. The Classic is a bit brittle and fatiguing in the treble and somehow the sound just doesn't fill out. It sounded empty compared to the iPhone - lacking in 3D imaging. And all of this was obvious with just my Triple-fi's. My ES5s aren't back yet. I spent two days going back and forth between the Classic and the iPhone, both with and without the Stepdance. I really realy wanted the Classic just to sound as good as the iPhone but it doesn't.

iPhone 3GS + Stepdance > iPhone 3GS > Classic 7G + Stepdance > Classic 7G.

One caveat: my Stepdance is still not close to being fully burned in. But as they say: the trend is your friend.

I'm actually pretty surprised with the Line out being inferior. I mostly assumed they would have at least similar line out.
oh well, now have to look into itouch 64gb. I assume sound should be similar to the 3GS...
damn, we need a new industry like the imod, only this time to increase capacity by switching flash memory on itouch/iphone to 128gb or more..now that I will be willing to pay...

Sep 5, 2010 at 6:02 PM Post #130 of 3,070

[size=11pt][/size]

redface.gif
[/size]

Cooperpwc, I am in your situation as I like to carry all my apple lossless collection with me. Do you think the cypher Lab's Solo will correct the problem? It suppose to reclock the digital signal and send out a pure and unadulterated signal to your Dac or amp. It should come out in the next two months if you read the ALO thread. Sounds like it can best the imod. If it is true then I don't have to change DAP and I can have the purest signal just like getting it from the desktop or may be even better. This is one bottle neck I am waiting to get pass in my portable persuit.

Sep 5, 2010 at 6:22 PM Post #131 of 3,070

Cooperpwc, I am in your situation as I like to carry all my apple lossless collection with me. Do you think the cypher Lab's Solo will correct the problem? It suppose to reclock the digital signal and send out a pure and unadulterated signal to your Dac or amp. It should come out in the next two months if you read the ALO thread. Sounds like it can best the imod. If it is true then I don't have to change DAP and I can have the purest signal just like getting it from the desktop or may be even better. This is one bottle neck I am waiting to get pass in my portable persuit.

The cypher labs unit is amazing! I heard it at can jam
A huge upgrade from both classic iPod dac and 5.5 gen imod dac

Sep 6, 2010 at 3:29 PM Post #134 of 3,070

Jalo, this is an interesting product but it it is very expensive (almost $600) and it is quite big. Add the Stepdance and an iPod, you have a hefty brick.

I know what you mean, but for $600.00, you are getting line perfect digital signal out of the Ipod/iphone/ipad products with the option of connecting to both Dac and/or Amp. I stil think it's worth the price in pursuit of the best SQ from the Apple platform. God only knows when we spend much more than that for less SQ return. For instance, good LOD or hp recable can easily cost you almost that much and to some people they cannot even hear the difference.

Yes, it would be nicer if the Solo can be a little bit thinner. But it is definitely in the portable domain. It is not that much difference from people that use the Imod/Vcap/amp combo, Hifiman801/amp combo, Ipod/DB1/PB1 combo, and/or any DAP/DAC/amp combo especially w/ the stepdance (it's not that small). But for the sound it produces, I thought it is a worthwhile tradeup. Remember we are talking about bringing serious desktop level sound into portable realm. If I really want to go after size and weight, it will be Ipod nano and Pico slim and you'll be done. But when you are sitting in an airplane across the continent or worst yet across the ocean with 14- to 18 hours while watching movies, concert on the ipad or listening to your favorite ipod classic, it will be a shame if all the while there is a running thought in the back of your mind that tells you it could be better, it could be better, it could be better... and then that $600.00 doesn't seem so bad after a few thousand hours of enjoyment. As for those who just want to use a portable setup for walking around, at the gym etc, these are not critical listening time anyway, so a nano/pico slim will do the job.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back