Meier Audio Quickstep (also Stepdance and 2Stepdance) Discussion and Impressions Thread
Sep 2, 2010 at 2:02 PM Post #77 of 3,070
Anyone experience imbalance sound volume when plugged in with external power without inserting 9v battery ? I just experienced that and my current settings was set to high feeding it with 12v DC .

Sep 2, 2010 at 2:09 PM Post #78 of 3,070

Quote:
Anyone experience imbalance sound volume when plugged in with external power without inserting 9v battery ? I just experienced that and my current settings was set to high feeding it with 12v DC .

If it is anything like the other meier amps with the recessed headphone jacks, what you are experiencing may be caused by not inserting the 9V battery, as the battery is most likely keeping the headphone jacks in a position where the plug can be fully inserted.  It's happened to me before on my HeadSix, and was fixed by putting a battery back in.

--Eric

Sep 2, 2010 at 2:09 PM Post #79 of 3,070
I don;t have a suitable AC adapter, so I haven't tried it.  Are you using a regulated power supply?  I know that is required...

Sep 2, 2010 at 3:15 PM Post #80 of 3,070

Quote:

I have no battery in right now, a 12V DC 1.25A adapter from an old scanner with a changed out plug and there is no imbalance.  Did you accidentally change one of the channel gain settings?  I did that...I thought I changed the current setting, but it was the gain setting for one channel.

Sep 2, 2010 at 4:42 PM Post #81 of 3,070

Hi friends,I really interested in this little amp to pair with my dt880,but recently I purchased the AT ath-esw9,so if any can listen the Stepdance with the Esw9 and share their impressions,I really appreciated.

Sep 2, 2010 at 10:27 PM Post #82 of 3,070
Okay thanks . Will try it out with the battery inserted when i get it tonight and see if the problem still persists . 
Quote:
If it is anything like the other meier amps with the recessed headphone jacks, what you are experiencing may be caused by not inserting the 9V battery, as the battery is most likely keeping the headphone jacks in a position where the plug can be fully inserted.  It's happened to me before on my HeadSix, and was fixed by putting a battery back in.

--Eric

Sep 2, 2010 at 10:28 PM Post #83 of 3,070
I never changed anything inside . Mine's also a 12V DC adapter which was bought at a hardwareshop a few years back . 
Quote:

I have no battery in right now, a 12V DC 1.25A adapter from an old scanner with a changed out plug and there is no imbalance.  Did you accidentally change one of the channel gain settings?  I did that...I thought I changed the current setting, but it was the gain setting for one channel.

Sep 2, 2010 at 11:01 PM Post #84 of 3,070
@ x3dnd3x - which channel sounds quieter?  Does it follow when you swap channels?  if you use a different amp, is the problem gone?

Oh, and I think the Stepdance drives the LCD-2 quite well
biggrin.gif
- high gain, high current, 9V battery from my DIY iPod!  Great purchase IMO!

Sep 3, 2010 at 8:58 AM Post #86 of 3,070

Quote:
Quote:

Explicitely stated as regulated, I hope. Otherwise you could be wrecking the Stepdance.

average_joe, I also briefly had the gain switches offset. You can't miss it.  :)

I hope the REGULATED bit was understood!!!!!  That is critical.

Sep 3, 2010 at 9:57 AM Post #87 of 3,070
Indeed! I was surprised to learn that the power supply that came with USB Monica is not regulated. I was going to use it for burn-in of the Stepdance but I can't. Still using batteries.

Sep 3, 2010 at 10:06 AM Post #88 of 3,070
This is definitely an exciting little amp. As a 3MOVE owner, I am already very impressed with Jan's amps. Can't wait to get my hands on a Stepdance :)

Sep 3, 2010 at 11:52 AM Post #89 of 3,070
It's like 1 sec the mids are " in your face " type then another sec it goes back to original imaging . I just bought my Maha 9v battery . Currently it's charging , will try it out tml and hopefully the problem doesn't persist . 

Quote:
@ x3dnd3x - which channel sounds quieter?  Does it follow when you swap channels?  if you use a different amp, is the problem gone?

biggrin.gif

Sep 3, 2010 at 12:43 PM Post #90 of 3,070

I absolutely agree with the great purchase comment. The Stepdance is much more "bang for the buck" than I'm used to getting these days. And as far as your first comment, I'll be getting my LCD-2 any second now so I'll give it a try. Even though your RPX is a far more capable I'd think,  it's impressive to hear that the Stepdance pushes the LCD-2 and the combination sounds good to you. Very very impressive indeed.
Quote:

biggrin.gif

UPDATE: Joe, you are right once again. The Stepdance does an admirable job with the LCD-2. At least I'm not running for my home setup.......... yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back