Meier Audio Quickstep (also Stepdance and 2Stepdance) Discussion and Impressions Thread
Jan 19, 2011 at 1:12 AM Post #781 of 3,070
well, my burn in period has ended. the battery charger i got with my 2X hoba 500 mahs went boom today.. only a week or so after i got it. sparks flew, some smell of smoke and my charger is now kaput, which means no more burn in until my DC charger arrives :/

Anouk, I'm not sure, but I think that no matter what voltage you use, the unit will only create a +/- 9V swing or something like that(?). I'm sure someone will correct me here. I do remember reading earlier in this thread that someone had their power source running at 15V and there was some noice but when it was turned down to 12V, it was a lot better.

Jan 19, 2011 at 1:26 AM Post #782 of 3,070

Hey Anouk!
Quote:
Hi, I need a new amp for iem use at home (I cant connect them directly to my home rig).
Has anyone used this amp with a 15v external power supply in high current mode? I would like to know if it sounds as good this way as with a 9v battery because I intend it for home use. I was also wondering if anyone has ocmpared it with the arrow amp (which is also from Germany)?

I've scoured this thread, and to my knowledge, no one has powered the Stepdance with a 15-Volt external power supply.  Given that 15-Volts is the absolute maximum voltage the Stepdance can safely handle, I'm personally not willing to come much closer than perhaps 14.5 Volts in a linear regulated power supply.  Most regulated supplies claim their voltage will vary no more than +/- 0.5 Volts  (if we can trust those specs).

I haven't seen any 14.5-Volt fixed-voltage linear regulated power supplies, but there are several continuously variable benchtest supplies out there that would allow us to fine tune the voltage to 14.5.  Aside from being bulky and expensive, I could see myself accidentally spinning the voltage control knob and frying my Stepdance, so I'm not interested in a variable-voltage supply.

I might be losing you about now, but your curiosity regarding the impact that a higher voltage external power supply could have on SQ is on target, given this quote from a January 11th e-mail I received from Jan Meier in response to similar questions I had asked him:

Jan Meier wrote:
"Yes, a good powersupply [for the Stepdance] will definitely improve on sound quality, especially when it's supply voltage is so much higher than your battery voltage."

I've not yet powered my Stepdance with anything other than 8.4-Volt iPowerUs 520-mAH batteries, but if Jan Meier says a higher voltage will improve sound quality, I'm not going to waste any more time finding out what he's talking about.

That said, I've discovered that perhaps the best quality linear regulated power supplies for the money, that will get us close to that 15-Volt maximum without getting too close, are several 13.8-Volt power supplies designed to operate as substitutes for 12-Volt lead acid automotive batteries (which put out 13.8-Volts at full charge). 

Even the lowest amp ratings for power supplies of this type start at about 2.5 or 3-Amps continous - a current handling capacity that far exceeds the 100-milliamp maximum load imposed by a Stepdance, but that's OK - it just means we can use these supplies for other purposes if the need arises. 

The Pyramid PS3KX seems to be a favorite for owners of the Musical Fidelity V-DAC (among those who aren't willing to spend $249.00 for Musical Fidelity's V-PSU.)  Another option would be the Pyle PSL42X, but I've ordered the Tripp-Lite PR3/UL - a United Laboratories tested and approved 3-Amp continuous linear regulated power supply that I believe offers a lot more features for the money than the Pyramid or Pyle power supplies.  At the moment, the lowest price I can find for the Tripp-Lite PR3/UL is at Amazon.

Jan Meier also wrote that the Stepdance doubles the internal battery's voltage when the Current Mode is set to High, just as it does with external power. 

So, (these are my words, not his) a 13.8-Volt external supply with power the Stepdance at 27.6 Volts - a 63.4% improvement over the 16.8-Volts had when doubling the 8.4-Volts of a fully charged iPowerUs 520-mAh LiPo battery (and a 212% improvement over the 13.0 volts had when doubling the 6.5 volts delivered by that same battery just before it quits working.)

Lastly, for those who might be curious, Jan Meier wrote than the Stepdance's 7500 uF capacitor that buffers battery power is still in the circuit when using an external power supply.

While I seem to be writing a book on the subject, let me just add that, if anyone concludes that they really like the difference in sound quality offered by the Stepdance when operating at higher voltages, this is about the best (lightweight, affordable, and safe) portable solution I've found to date for operating near the 15-volt limit:  The Blue LiPo 4-Cell 1000mAh 4S1P 14.8v 20C LiPoly Battery and a proper charger to go with it.  These 14.8-Volt 1000-mAh LiPo batteries cost only $9.70 each (less than half the price of the 8.4-Volt iPowerUs internal batteries I'm currently using) and they're small enough (at 74x35x23mm) to fit into a small camera case along with the Stepdance and your DAP of choice. They will have none of the regulation and potential AC line noise problems associated with the PSU's discussed above, and they contain a chip that prevents them from being charged to voltages higher than 14.8 Volts - perfect for pushing the Stepdance to its limits.  And if you're willing to carry larger, heavier, 14.8V LipP packs that work with the same charger, consider this 1800 mAh pack, or this 5000 mAh pack.

As with the Tripp-Lite PSU, if I eventually splurge for a 14.8-volt LiPo rig, I'll share my findings.

Edit applied on 15 February 2011 - Warning:  Don't purchase any of the 14.8-Volt LiPo batteries I recommended, above - Get the 11.1-Volt LiPo batteries offered by the same retailer, instead.  I've only today learned that the voltage specs for RC hobbiest batteries such as the  Blue LiPo 4-Cell 1000mAh 4S1P 14.8v 20C LiPoly Battery  are NOMINAL voltages!  This means that a 14.8-Volt battery is READY TO BE CHARGED when it gets DOWN to 14.8-Volts!  When fully charged, add 0.5 Volts per cell - which for these 4-cell batteries, equals another 2.0 Volts.  So...  when this 14.8-Volt battery is fully charged, it's at 16.8-Volts - FAR in excess of the 15-Volt limit for the Stepdance.   If you're still interested in an external LiPo pack for the Stepdance, get the 11.1-Volt 3-cell LiPo batteries from the same retailer as linked above, or for less hassle but more bulk and weight, get the Energizer XP8000, which provides a 12.0-Volt output jack that can be used with the Stepdance.  Search this thread for more info on the XP8000.   Mike

Mike

Jan 19, 2011 at 2:11 AM Post #783 of 3,070

Quote:
Hey Anouk!
Quote:
Hi, I need a new amp for iem use at home (I cant connect them directly to my home rig).
Has anyone used this amp with a 15v external power supply in high current mode? I would like to know if it sounds as good this way as with a 9v battery because I intend it for home use. I was also wondering if anyone has ocmpared it with the arrow amp (which is also from Germany)?

I've scoured this thread, and to my knowledge, no one has powered the Stepdance with a 15-Volt external power supply.  Given that 15-Volts is the absolute maximum voltage the Stepdance can safely handle, I'm personally not willing to come much closer than perhaps 14.5 Volts in a linear regulated power supply.  Most regulated supplies claim their voltage will vary no more than +/- 0.5 Volts  (if we can trust those specs).

I haven't seen any 14.5-Volt fixed-voltage linear regulated power supplies, but there are several continuously variable benchtest supplies out there that would allow us to fine tune the voltage to 14.5.  Aside from being bulky and expensive, I could see myself accidentally spinning the voltage control knob and frying my Stepdance, so I'm not interested in a variable-voltage supply.

I might be losing you about now, but your curiosity regarding the impact that a higher voltage external power supply could have on SQ is on target, given this quote from a January 11th e-mail I received from Jan Meier in response to similar questions I had asked him:

I believe that I did post that when I had a loaner from Jan that I ran it from a 15v regulated linear power supply from Radio Shack that was intended for laptops and such.  The Stepdance was a late prototype that had the final sound, but didn't run on battery power yet.  My PSU could go as low as 12v and as high as 24v, and most of the time I did not hear a big difference between 12v and 15v.  However, using a 12v regulated switching wallwart did sound grainer and not as smooth and refined.

Jan 19, 2011 at 2:20 AM Post #784 of 3,070

That's valuable feedback HeadphoneAddict - I hadn't recalled anyone running at 15-Volts.  I especially appreciate your comment about a wall-wart supply not sounding as good as your larger supply. 

When you consider the size and weight of power supplies built into some desktop headphone amps, I feel like the Stepdance deserves better than a wall-wart (that offers no isolation, AC noise filtering, surge protection, etc.)

Thanks,

Mike

Jan 19, 2011 at 3:47 AM Post #785 of 3,070
Quote:

While I seem to be writing a book on the subject, let me just add that, if anyone concludes that they really like the difference in sound quality offered by the Stepdance when operating at higher voltages, this is about the best (lightweight, affordable, and safe) portable solution I've found to date for operating near the 15-volt limit:  The Blue LiPo 4-Cell 1000mAh 4S1P 14.8v 20C LiPoly Battery and a proper charger to go with it.  These 14.8-Volt 1000-mAh LiPo batteries cost only $9.70 each (less than half the price of the 8.4-Volt iPowerUs internal batteries I'm currently using) and they're small enough (at 74x35x23mm) to fit into a small camera case along with the Stepdance and your DAP of choice. They will have none of the regulation and potential AC line noise problems associated with the PSU's discussed above, and they contain a chip that prevents them from being charged to voltages higher than 14.8 Volts - perfect for pushing the Stepdance to its limits.  And if you're willing to carry larger, heavier, 14.8V LipP packs that work with the same charger, consider this 1800 mAh pack, or this 5000 mAh pack.

As with the Tripp-Lite PSU, if I eventually splurge for a 14.8-volt LiPo rig, I'll share my findings.

Mike

The 5000 mAh pack looks like a great charge and use home solution. Battery power is generally an optimal SQ choice if the voltage is right.

zilch0md, any thoughts on how easily this can be plugged into the Stepdance? I guess that one would have to rig/weld a homemade adaptor?

Jan 19, 2011 at 3:55 AM Post #786 of 3,070
I would still like to see someone run a s11 or s25 power supply from amb into a Stepdance.

Jan 19, 2011 at 7:18 AM Post #787 of 3,070
I wonder how much power you need to drive IEMs.. if you're driving oversized cans or something, then yeah i can see that having as close to 15V as possible wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing.. but generally IEMs are pretty easy to drive as is my understanding. Also, by my calculation, based on the fact that I am running low current on a 500mAh 9V and getting ~12hrs play time, I would suspect that the 1000 mAh 14.8V would last about the same on high current, given that the manual gives double the play time in low current mode. I guess that's ok for some to have for home use, but I for one like to know that when I go to switch it on to enjoy my music, it'll have juice. As for carrying around, It's already big enough as it is i think!

As per my comment above, I am in the unfortunate circumstance where I have no power for my stepdance since I blew my charger - which will be replaced as soon as it arrives :/ bugger. another reason I would prefer to have a plug in power source (which should be arriving soon).

Jan 19, 2011 at 8:04 AM Post #789 of 3,070
Quote:
Also, by my calculation, based on the fact that I am running low current on a 500mAh 9V and getting ~12hrs play time, I would suspect that the 1000 mAh 14.8V would last about the same on high current, given that the manual gives double the play time in low current mode. I guess that's ok for some to have for home use, but I for one like to know that when I go to switch it on to enjoy my music, it'll have juice.

So 5000 mAh would give about 60 hours. That works for me at home.

Jan 19, 2011 at 8:14 AM Post #790 of 3,070
My battery saga finally reaches its end. Here are the last two battery I picked up from eBay: Great Power Li-ion 9V 500mAH rechargeable ( two pieces, from this eBay seller for $27 w/ free shipping)

P1030873_resize.jpg

These are the latest generation of Li-ion 9V and they don't require a special charger (and I also confirmed it with the manufacturer). They have a smart circuit build-in to protect over-charging and over-discharging, but you will do well to have a decent charger as well. I already test charging them once on my Energizer NiMH charger and they did cut off when they are full.

P1030870_resize.jpg

The benefit of this battery is that it maintains a fairly stable voltage (around 8.4V as I tested) during most of the discharging. Once it drops to around 6~7V or so, it will auto cut off.

P1030876_resize.jpg

Size wise, they are only slightly longer than Habo and still fit Stepdance well. Another benefit of this battery is its is very light (26g vs. Habo's 55g and Energizer's 47g). I also have the Marsell 9V 350mAH Li-ion from Great Power (the blue/white one on the top left)

SQ wise, I actually find Habo to be slightly fuller in comparison while these Great Power Li-ion 9V is faster and a little more transparent. Not really sure what cause the difference but it really isn't something major, just a very subtle difference I pick up when A/B them.

Jan 19, 2011 at 8:21 AM Post #792 of 3,070
Thank you zilch for all the great information and links and ClieOS for his battery research and pictures. Probably one of the most informative pages so far in this thread. Great work guys. 

Jan 19, 2011 at 10:53 AM Post #793 of 3,070

Quote:
I wonder how much power you need to drive IEMs.. if you're driving oversized cans or something, then yeah i can see that having as close to 15V as possible wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing.. but generally IEMs are pretty easy to drive as is my understanding. Also, by my calculation, based on the fact that I am running low current on a 500mAh 9V and getting ~12hrs play time, I would suspect that the 1000 mAh 14.8V would last about the same on high current, given that the manual gives double the play time in low current mode. I guess that's ok for some to have for home use, but I for one like to know that when I go to switch it on to enjoy my music, it'll have juice. As for carrying around, It's already big enough as it is i think!

As per my comment above, I am in the unfortunate circumstance where I have no power for my stepdance since I blew my charger - which will be replaced as soon as it arrives :/ bugger. another reason I would prefer to have a plug in power source (which should be arriving soon).

I run both the denons(full size) and selection of iems from the amp, the ER4s's take quite a bit of power to get them on song but both the triple fi 10's and IE8s much less I find the volume at around 11.30 is more than enough on normal CD'S, some of my Jazz recordings seem to be recorded at lower volume and those are better around 12.30 on the volume pot. Mind I run continually in high current, high gain as I don't mind the volume not going completely silent. I have now sold the 701's but they sounded lovely with this amp.

I mentioned before a little fact with batteries, I use powerex 8.4v 300mah ones but had occasion to use a 9v alkaline and noticed a small improvement in sound. I guess the best way I can described it having tried it again is that the sound became slightly smoother and a sense of more space (this is small but noticeable) I have on order the 9.6v powerex batteries as my local store was out when I went to get them. I will report back when they get here!

Not much is written about this amp I notice and as has been mentioned before I think that is due to it being so well designed, so simple and so sublimely  capable as am amp both portable and for some home applications that I think most of us are just so engrossed in enjoying the music we don't have time to make comments. After all, how many, my Gosh this is a supurb amp comments can we make!!

I had the opportunity to do an experiment a few days ago and with the appropriate cable ran my friends Musical fidelity A3.2 CD player through it. It sounded outstanding and more than held it's weight with his tube pre-amp and class A power amp.

The sound was  smooth and involving, treble really shimmered and mids were intimate and inviting, bass really took us by suprise with it's added depth and detail as well! We were both thinking what a truly great little amp this is!

We were trying to think of a way to battery power the CD player for a completely off the grid listen but both of us not being technical could not. However he does use a mains cleaner and high quality power cord for the CD player.(all listening of course was done through my Denon's)

Jan 19, 2011 at 11:30 AM Post #794 of 3,070

Quote:
My battery saga finally reaches its end. Here are the last two battery I picked up from eBay: Great Power Li-ion 9V 500mAH rechargeable ( two pieces, from this eBay seller for $27 w/ free shipping)

P1030873_resize.jpg

These are the latest generation of Li-ion 9V and they don't require a special charger (and I also confirmed it with the manufacturer). They have a smart circuit build-in to protect over-charging and over-discharging, but you will do well to have a decent charger as well. I already test charging them once on my Energizer NiMH charger and they did cut off when they are full.

P1030870_resize.jpg

The benefit of this battery is that it maintains a fairly stable voltage (around 8.4V as I tested) during most of the discharging. Once it drops to around 6~7V or so, it will auto cut off.

P1030876_resize.jpg

Size wise, they are only slightly longer than Habo and still fit Stepdance well. Another benefit of this battery is its is very light (26g vs. Habo's 55g and Energizer's 47g). I also have the Marsell 9V 350mAH Li-ion from Great Power (the blue/white one on the top left)

SQ wise, I actually find Habo to be slightly fuller in comparison while these Great Power Li-ion 9V is faster and a little more transparent. Not really sure what cause the difference but it really isn't something major, just a very subtle difference I pick up when A/B them.

hi ClieOS,

i juz gotten my stepdance recently and looking for good quality rechargeable 9v batts that will fit well effortlessly wif the batt door, juz so you know what im talking about
i used a disposable energizer alkaline batt and i can juz popped the door down and lock it, while now im using a pisen rechargeable and its around ~1mm longer, and i got problems closing the door, even when i pressed the door very hard, its very difficult to turn the knob, probably due to the pressure

currently looking at this 2 500mah options which you are using, the habo nimh and the greatpower li-ion, whats the est. batt life for both of them on high current? are they reliable?
I have the maha c490f 9v 4bank charger, will it be able to charge the li-ion batt wifout any hiccups since u mentioned a decent charger is needed?? im personally leaning towards the habo since its cheaper, slightly shorter than the greatpower li-ion and its nimh which means i can pop into my charger wifout any worries..

whats your take?
sorry if i seem long-winded...

cheers
redface.gif

Jan 19, 2011 at 12:07 PM Post #795 of 3,070
Quote:
hi ClieOS,

i juz gotten my stepdance recently and looking for good quality rechargeable 9v batts that will fit well effortlessly wif the batt door, juz so you know what im talking about
i used a disposable energizer alkaline batt and i can juz popped the door down and lock it, while now im using a pisen rechargeable and its around ~1mm longer, and i got problems closing the door, even when i pressed the door very hard, its very difficult to turn the knob, probably due to the pressure

currently looking at this 2 500mah options which you are using, the habo nimh and the greatpower li-ion, whats the est. batt life for both of them on high current? are they reliable?
I have the maha c490f 9v 4bank charger, will it be able to charge the li-ion batt wifout any hiccups since u mentioned a decent charger is needed?? im personally leaning towards the habo since its cheaper, slightly shorter than the greatpower li-ion and its nimh which means i can pop into my charger wifout any worries..

whats your take?
sorry if i seem long-winded...

cheers
redface.gif

I think someone quoted Habo to be around 12 hours of battery life running in low current mode a few pages earlier. I can't be sure since I have yet to run it down. Personally, I think squeezing out near to 10 hours in high current mode is still possible.

If you have concern, my advice is to stick to the Habo. A few members in the forum already got them after my first post about them and it seems to work fine for all of us. At least I can say I have no problem whatsoever with the Habo and Marsell, and I am going to test the Great Power out on the next round.

p/s: My idea of a decent charger is something brand name and well built, not the slim one from eBay. I am using an old Energizer charger myself. The Maha charger is the quick charging type, which I won't recommend for Li-ion battery because Li-ion battery needs much longer charging time than the quick charger usually will do. The Habo battery should work fine with the Maha but the regular slow charger is what I will stick to if Li-ion is used.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back