MDR-Z1000 new Sony flagship headphones
Feb 5, 2011 at 1:55 AM Post #826 of 1,638
Hopefully within the next 2 or 3 months, I'll be an owner of a pair of these headphones. Maybe a bit earlier if there are still some deals in the FS forum. Finally getting some cashflow, too bad that once it comes in it's already on it's way out, lol.

Feb 5, 2011 at 3:25 AM Post #827 of 1,638
MDR-Z1000 onwers,
Does yours have the " for Studio Use" or "for Digital" sticker on the unit?  I am a big sucker for those stickers.

Feb 5, 2011 at 4:50 AM Post #830 of 1,638
MDR-Z1000 onwers,
Does yours have the " for Studio Use" or "for Digital" sticker on the unit?  I am a big sucker for those stickers.

people (who will see you wear these) have their own perception of the sony brand and people who typically buy it :) a manufacturer sticker saying 'for studio use' IMO does very little to change it for most. (or make them any more studio :D, although we had this discussion a few pages back and some think they're suitable for monitoring. i don't )

same for my pair from wh123. no sticker

Feb 5, 2011 at 7:43 AM Post #831 of 1,638
I would really appreciate if someone who owns both the Z1000 and the Audio Technica W1000X could give a quick characterization with respect to differences in sound signature.

Feb 8, 2011 at 12:33 AM Post #834 of 1,638
I was surprised to find a stand with these on demo in Bic Camera on Sunday, so I hooked them up to my Pico Slim/iPod rig to have a listen.  I was very disappointed.  The only good thing about them is the bass, but the treble was shelved and they seemed to have a peak around 3-4k making them sound downright tinny (like listening to music over the phone).  If someone used these for mastering, I'm sure they'd end up with such a bright, mid-recessed mix it wouldn't be funny.

Feb 8, 2011 at 1:23 AM Post #835 of 1,638
I was surprised to find a stand with these on demo in Bic Camera on Sunday, so I hooked them up to my Pico Slim/iPod rig to have a listen.  I was very disappointed.  The only good thing about them is the bass, but the treble was shelved and they seemed to have a peak around 3-4k making them sound downright tinny (like listening to music over the phone).  If someone used these for mastering, I'm sure they'd end up with such a bright, mid-recessed mix it wouldn't be funny.

haha, yay, someone else's impressions match mine. The only comment is, you could always match them with a bright system, but chances are the peaks and troughs probably wont match.

Feb 15, 2011 at 10:44 PM Post #837 of 1,638
I bought a pair to use as semi-portable headphones, but the isolation was not as good as I had hoped. They also are not as comfortable as I had hoped.  I also still did not really warm to their sound, although I readily admit that with the pair I bought, the overly hot treble that I heard when I auditioned a pair in Yodobashi Camera in Akihabara was not present in the purchased pair.  Still, the sound isn't as transparent as I would have liked, and for some reason they just don't engage me.  So they are being sold.  Pity - I had hoped for more.

Feb 15, 2011 at 11:52 PM Post #838 of 1,638
I bought a pair to use as semi-portable headphones, but the isolation was not as good as I had hoped. They also are not as comfortable as I had hoped.  I also still did not really warm to their sound, although I readily admit that with the pair I bought, the overly hot treble that I heard when I auditioned a pair in Yodobashi Camera in Akihabara was not present in the purchased pair.  Still, the sound isn't as transparent as I would have liked, and for some reason they just don't engage me.  So they are being sold.  Pity - I had hoped for more.

Skylab, I value your opinion. How would you describe the sound? Would you say they're better than any other Sony in the current line? Mainly the MDR-SA5000 and MDR-7509HD?

Feb 16, 2011 at 1:08 AM Post #839 of 1,638

Quote:
Quote:

haha, yay, someone else's impressions match mine. The only comment is, you could always match them with a bright system, but chances are the peaks and troughs probably wont match.

Really? I have one and I think it sounds really balanced to a point that the music seems to sound a bit too flat (a little bit extra on the mid-bass). Albeit, it also has to do with the small soundstage but I think the headphones are good for monitor use as the sticker says. I took off my sticker though as I think it looks tacky.

Feb 16, 2011 at 1:38 AM Post #840 of 1,638

Quote:

Sounds like the MDR V6 it has a nasty 2k spike but sometimes it seems like its 4k as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back