MDR-Z1000 new Sony flagship headphones
Jan 31, 2011 at 11:13 AM Post #812 of 1,638
Thanks for the feedback... Now, I am not sure I agree with the CD900ST having mediocre resolution
eek.gif
 However, those new Z1000 are probably not for me either based on your comments... I especially loved the CD900ST for their mids...

Quote:
Quote:
Currently, the CD900ST is not at home but from my memory, the Z1000 is better in every department, way more resolution. Compared to the CD900ST, mids are a little bit recessed and they extend further to both extremes without being overly euphonic. Overall the CD900ST sounds a bit fuller but that's mostly because of the rather mediocre resolution in comparison.

The CD900ST is a nice headphone overall, nothing really wrong with it but the Z1000 plays in another league.

Much appreciated, thanks. Too bad the CD900ST already sounds a bit thin to my ears sometimes :/

Jan 31, 2011 at 4:19 PM Post #813 of 1,638
Quoting an old post.

Quote:
On headphones, most of the time the 20 Hz tone is just distortion - a "doubling" effect it's called, where what you are really hearing is just distortion at 40 Hz, not the 20 Hz fundamental.  You can't really "hear" 20 Hz, per se, you more feel it than hear it, and your ability to feel is is very severely restricted through headphones, versus speakers, although really only the very biggest and best subwoofers even really produce a string 20 Hz fundamental.

Have you got a scientific sheet explaining why this occurs? I don't doubt it, as the second harmonic produces a tone with half the wavelength. I'd just like to see what causes it.

Jan 31, 2011 at 4:39 PM Post #814 of 1,638
Sorry I can't post the whole link now but google "low frequency doubling speakers" and ckeck out the link for The Audio Dictionary".

On topic:  I decided to buy some Z1000 after all, should be here by the weekend.

Jan 31, 2011 at 4:52 PM Post #815 of 1,638

Quote:
Sorry I can't post the whole link now but google "low frequency doubling speakers" and ckeck out the link for The Audio Dictionary".

On topic:  I decided to buy some Z1000 after all, should be here by the weekend.

Where did you order yours?  I may want to pick one up too.

Jan 31, 2011 at 10:26 PM Post #816 of 1,638
I bought them on the FS forums here
wink_face.gif

Feb 1, 2011 at 6:28 AM Post #818 of 1,638
Quote:
mine's still fs btw :D. Been using them for a week now after moving house with my musiland md11 lol... Don't mind them anymore, since MD11 is a bit mellow, so aside from the not quite right fit, the sound is ok. Life has a taste for irony...

Did you break them in on an artificial head or by wearing them? The pads get a lot softer after a while and any pressure by the headband tends to diminish.

Feb 1, 2011 at 6:38 AM Post #819 of 1,638
Quote:
mine's still fs btw :D. Been using them for a week now after moving house with my musiland md11 lol... Don't mind them anymore, since MD11 is a bit mellow, so aside from the not quite right fit, the sound is ok. Life has a taste for irony...

Did you break them in on an artificial head or by wearing them? The pads get a lot softer after a while and any pressure by the headband tends to diminish.

wearing. but yes, comfort seems to have improved a bit too. hence I'm not really actively bumping the FS thread. heh, will be able to compare it with my new t5p tomorrow if all goes well.

Feb 4, 2011 at 10:19 PM Post #823 of 1,638
Has anybody compared it with the DT770/600 ohm? I'm curious how the beyers hold up since to  me they are extremely good for the money. I'm looking for a nice semi-portable and these look like they could fit the bill.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back