MDR-Z1000 new Sony flagship headphones
Jan 23, 2011 at 5:52 AM Post #796 of 1,638

Quote:
These are MONITOR headphones remeber.... Can't see how they 'fail' if they aren't reminding enough a D7000 or a CD300.

The fact that Sony saw fit to call them monitor's means nothing,the whole idea of a new (as some have been calling it Flagship) phone is to enhance the SQ of previous models.

It appears that they have failed which is a great shame considering some of their pevious models.

Maybe it was just to hard a job to better the CD3000 so they tried to pass it of as a monitor.

Jan 23, 2011 at 6:32 AM Post #797 of 1,638
IMHO, they do succeed at their monitoring role, it's easy to pick up micro details and also to hear the flaws in the mastering of the tracks.
Nearly all my reference tracks stayed "reference" while defaults were revealed in those I was unsure of the quality.

Jan 23, 2011 at 10:12 AM Post #799 of 1,638
I bought the Z1000 from jherbert and I'm quite happy with the purchase as I like a rather laid back sound. The bass can be a bit too strong on some recordings but that's something I can get accustomed to. Way better than having a headphone that's seriously lacking bass like the DT48 e.g.

For me, it's maybe the best closed headphone I ever heard. In order to be really neutral, the mids should be a bit louder and the bass needs to be tamed. But in the end, it aways comes down to your personal preference.

Jan 23, 2011 at 2:30 PM Post #800 of 1,638
Quote:

Quote:
These are MONITOR headphones remeber.... Can't see how they 'fail' if they aren't reminding enough a D7000 or a CD300.

The fact that Sony saw fit to call them monitor's means nothing,the whole idea of a new (as some have been calling it Flagship) phone is to enhance the SQ of previous models.

It appears that they have failed which is a great shame considering some of their pevious models.

Maybe it was just to hard a job to better the CD3000 so they tried to pass it of as a monitor.

You assumption also means little to nothing if you or anyone else didn't A/B them to conclude which is 'better'. Also, Soundstage certainly isn't the most improtant apect in SQ... And, it appears that the Z1000 is the more accurate headphone.

I agree that it's somewhat odd that currently (correct me if i'm wrong) the most expansive headphones of Sony are marketed for monitoring as sudio headphones are usually cheaper but it's cetainly isn't designed as audiophile product both in looks and the reportedly modest soundstage size.  

Jan 23, 2011 at 3:51 PM Post #801 of 1,638
In order to be really neutral, the mids should be a bit louder and the bass needs to be tamed. But in the end, it aways comes down to your personal preference.

+1 I have a pair of very old Pioneer Monitor 10 and they sound like Z1000 + extra mids and - extra bass :) . DT48 would've been even less bassy and with a prominent mids sections relatively rolled off highs

Jan 23, 2011 at 6:06 PM Post #802 of 1,638
While I don't wish to try to rank my stable of phones or pick apart their respective strengths and shortcomings, I do find the Z1000 to be a very comfortable phone that I can wear for extended periods without either physical discomfort or listener fatigue.  The sound is, IMO, well-balanced and is able to present detail and low-level musical information very accurately.  I do not consider the soundstage to be narrow or wide.  I soon become involved in my choice of music and quickly become unaware that I am listening to headphones.   I also find the fit and finish  to be commensurate with their pricing.  I have seen much worse on phones costing hundreds of dollars more. 

I also consider the Z1000 to be an extremely useful tool when evaluating new potential Topkit opamp combinations, as I find them able to reproduce instrument timbres and tonalities quite accurately. 

I have owned a number of Sony headphones and consider the engineering and overall performance of the Z1000 to rank right up there with some of their better efforts. 

Jan 23, 2011 at 7:04 PM Post #803 of 1,638
Very well put Ron, most of my points on this headphone. 

I have the CD3000 and I can say that I prefer the Z1000 over the CD3000 because I only find the CD3000 worth listening to when I have it hooked up to my NAD 3020 speaker taps.  Most everything else it just sound ok while the Z1000 sound good on almost anything I plug it to.

Jan 23, 2011 at 9:37 PM Post #804 of 1,638
Anyone figure out if these can be balanced or recabled with 4 conductors easily?

What I want to know is if anyone notices an audible difference separating the left and right ground until it reaches a 3 pin stereo or mini stereo plug, as opposed to merging at the earcup. I experimented with my pro 900, ground merged at the earcup vs at the plug and thought the latter sounded better, moderately improved sense of separation of left and right. Is this even possible or is just in my ears? :p

Jan 23, 2011 at 10:16 PM Post #805 of 1,638
I experimented with my pro 900, ground merged at the earcup vs at the plug and thought the latter sounded better, moderately improved sense of separation of left and right.Is this even possible or is just in my ears? :p

if you saw/knew which one was what it's entirely possible - your brain was playing tricks on you :wink:

Jan 24, 2011 at 8:13 AM Post #806 of 1,638
Quote:
I bought the Z1000 from jherbert and I'm quite happy with the purchase as I like a rather laid back sound. The bass can be a bit too strong on some recordings but that's something I can get accustomed to. Way better than having a headphone that's seriously lacking bass like the DT48 e.g.

For me, it's maybe the best closed headphone I ever heard. In order to be really neutral, the mids should be a bit louder and the bass needs to be tamed. But in the end, it aways comes down to your personal preference.

Can you provide some comparison with the CD900ST? :) In terms of bass/mids/treble and detail.

Jan 24, 2011 at 10:51 AM Post #807 of 1,638
Currently, the CD900ST is not at home but from my memory, the Z1000 is better in every department, way more resolution. Compared to the CD900ST, mids are a little bit recessed and they extend further to both extremes without being overly euphonic. Overall the CD900ST sounds a bit fuller but that's mostly because of the rather mediocre resolution in comparison.

The CD900ST is a nice headphone overall, nothing really wrong with it but the Z1000 plays in another league.

Jan 24, 2011 at 1:55 PM Post #808 of 1,638
Quote:
Currently, the CD900ST is not at home but from my memory, the Z1000 is better in every department, way more resolution. Compared to the CD900ST, mids are a little bit recessed and they extend further to both extremes without being overly euphonic. Overall the CD900ST sounds a bit fuller but that's mostly because of the rather mediocre resolution in comparison.

The CD900ST is a nice headphone overall, nothing really wrong with it but the Z1000 plays in another league.

Much appreciated, thanks. Too bad the CD900ST already sounds a bit thin to my ears sometimes :/

Jan 26, 2011 at 5:44 PM Post #809 of 1,638
My Z1000's arrived today and my first impressions are that they are light weight, compact, well built and look great.  I listened briefly with my Zen MP3 player and they sound very nice.  More impressions to follow. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back