MDR-Z1000 new Sony flagship headphones
Oct 22, 2018 at 11:35 AM Post #1,636 of 1,638
That’s sad news. I don’t know anything about rewiring and if it can be done they may charge an arm or a leg.
Now I just use it through Z1070 & PHA1. One of Sony first combo that’s probably outdated for some.
Just like most old Sony headphones (including the famous MDR-R10), those cannot run balanced unless you rewire them entirely.

Dec 16, 2020 at 5:57 PM Post #1,637 of 1,638
Hey, it's been 3 days now I've been listening to these bought second-hand mdr-Z1000 headphones. Heavily used it seems but with rather new velour earpads. Burned-in obviously, considering their age... I would definitly call them analytical, and really I feel their sound signature to be very close to the one of the Studio Monitor Sony mdr-7506 IMHO. Out of my cheapo smartphone's jack plug the music comes precise and with lots of details. No great isolation with non-stock velour pads... They specially shine while being used at a very low volume level. Certainly a keeper for the 105$ only I spent on them!!!
P_20201214_090912_1.jpg

Unfortunately these did not come with neither of the two original cables...
I am planning to mod them but not regarding balanced rewiring at all.

I have to say these have nothing to do with Mdr-CD900st in terms of SS(40mm driver diameter+special resonating chamber with 4 holes and heavy damping material at the back of driver). Nothing. I do love their real sober design and I confirm they really are comfortable, clamping force being just great to use them while walking in the street.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2023 at 3:46 PM Post #1,638 of 1,638
Quote:

Ohms don't matter really. Higher doesn't always mean better. Frequency range is just a set of values. You can't tell how it'll sound like just look at the FR. Audible range for a majority of humans is 20Hz-20KHz. How'd you make these more sturdy? They look pretty sturdy to me. If you've seen the pics posted compared to other circum-aurals, they're fine. They don't look small at all. Idk how these seriously look like on-ears. T50P, dt 1350, HD25 1-II, amperior, etc, would be on ear.

The branches/extenders look mighty fine, along with the magnesium cups. Just because it has a low impedance and such looks, you can't judge the phones. Have you heard these? Low impedance just means that there's a lot less resistance, and it's much easier to draw power from the source. As for looks I think they're really fine: simple, cut, clean. Not too simple, but not too much for the eye.

Sorry if it seems like I'm bashing you, but you just can't judge a phone just by looks and specs.
I finally found this post after years and holy cow I sound stupid, much apologies. This was also when I was starting out in the audio world.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back