MDR-Z1000 new Sony flagship headphones
Sep 12, 2010 at 11:16 PM Post #151 of 1,638
I'm an industrial designer. The visual semantic is the first impression anyone gets from a product. A pair of dead rats doesn't give out the semantic of good sound. Neither does Star Trek robot headgear.

I look for transparency in semantic as much as transparency in sound.

Sep 12, 2010 at 11:19 PM Post #152 of 1,638
Quote:
All this talk about aesthetics... I don't listen to my headphones with my eyeballs.  Also, all headphones look equally dumb when you're wearing them unless you are particularly attractive 
biggrin.gif
.  There are always those players who comment on the quality of the headphones before they've even listened to them.  *Not subscribing*

To be fair, what else about the Z1000 do we have to talk about right now?

Sep 12, 2010 at 11:49 PM Post #153 of 1,638
These are very intriguing!

They're tossing aside flamboyant design in favor of a sterile and cold stereo look. I think them taking this direction is stating that they're staying away from the current genitalia waving that a lot of companies are doing-- Sennheiser and Beyerdynamic are going the flashy/futuristic, AKG going modern rainbow, Ultrasone with their gold brick that happens to play music, Audio-Technica killing trees and that other company with that thing they do, but Sony cuts a headphone shape out of solid plastic and leather. 

Can't wait to hear them!

Sep 13, 2010 at 1:56 AM Post #154 of 1,638

Quote:

They're tossing aside flamboyant design in favor of a sterile and cold stereo look. I think them taking this direction is stating that they're staying away from the current genitalia waving that a lot of companies are doing-- Sennheiser and Beyerdynamic are going the flashy/futuristic, AKG going modern rainbow, Ultrasone with their gold brick that happens to play music, Audio-Technica killing trees and that other company with that thing they do, but Sony cuts a headphone shape out of solid plastic and leather. 

Can't wait to hear them!

Brilliant post. 
biggrin.gif

Sep 13, 2010 at 4:07 AM Post #155 of 1,638
Quote:
Yes they do appear to be closed.  
But the CD3000's appeared to be as well but are semi closed.
The SA5000's appeared to be open but are semi closed.

With Sony you never know.

They seem to be closed according to this page

And look at how Sony calls them:

Really excited about these, we don't see studio headphones everyday... if they're flatter and faster than the CD900ST they'll probably be mine.

Sep 13, 2010 at 8:35 AM Post #156 of 1,638

I really enjoy the tonal balance of the CD900ST, but I agree a more powerfull and faster version of those headphones would be sooo tempting.

Quote:
They seem to be closed according to this page

And look at how Sony calls them:

Really excited about these, we don't see studio headphones everyday... if they're flatter and faster than the CD900ST they'll probably be mine.

Sep 13, 2010 at 8:54 AM Post #157 of 1,638

I really enjoy the tonal balance of the CD900ST, but I agree a more powerfull and faster version of those headphones would be sooo tempting.

The CD900ST could really use 50mm drivers, its low end bass is really flabby and bloated as well. And also a more supple diaphragm material because the CD900ST really can't do those supersweet trebles.

Sep 13, 2010 at 2:59 PM Post #158 of 1,638
From the Sonyinsider.com

"One of the biggest features of the Z1000 is the 50mm driver unit and the ability to handle frequencies of 5-80,000 Hz. This is very similiar to the previously released MDR-Z900HD, but a major difference is that the Z1000 can handle a maximum input of 4,000mW."

Is 4,000mW a lot for a headphone? I'm not familiar with how many mW headphones usually use.

Sep 13, 2010 at 3:04 PM Post #159 of 1,638

Is 4,000mW a lot for a headphone? I'm not familiar with how many mW headphones usually use.

the cd3k(50mm) can take 1.5W, the cd900st(40mm) 1W, the t40rp 2W and the t50rp 3W...apparently the higher the max input the stronger the magnet, and a stronger magnet allows for a more refined sound FWIU.

Sep 13, 2010 at 3:12 PM Post #160 of 1,638
Can't say I'm a big fan of the esthetics of these... Then again they are growing on me 
wink.gif

Sep 13, 2010 at 3:45 PM Post #162 of 1,638
Lag0a, driver power handling is how much mW or Watts of power you can feed speakers or headphones before they are damaged. They find out the rating by stress-testing the drivers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_handling

4000mW is a lot hehe, I wonder if it might survive being put in speakers.

Sep 13, 2010 at 6:39 PM Post #163 of 1,638
Honestly, to me they are one of the best looking headphones I have seen in quite awhile.  Can not wait to own them.

Quote:

Can't wait to hear them!

Sep 13, 2010 at 6:49 PM Post #164 of 1,638
I'll bite..

I can't wait to try these at the Sony Store!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back