MDR-Z1000 new Sony flagship headphones
Mar 28, 2011 at 4:08 AM Post #871 of 1,638

Quote:
I thought they had the same drivers.

They're almost completely different thing except the looks, even the similar-looking housings are made of different materials.

Mar 28, 2011 at 2:58 PM Post #872 of 1,638
I thought the housings and earpads were the only difference.  Oh well.

Apr 4, 2011 at 9:29 PM Post #873 of 1,638
sorry, but can someone tell me what is the correct way to remove the earpad? twist it? 
or just pull it off? 
confused.gif

Apr 4, 2011 at 10:30 PM Post #874 of 1,638

Quote:
sorry, but can someone tell me what is the correct way to remove the earpad? twist it? 
or just pull it off? 
confused.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/510768/mdr-z1000-new-sony-flagship-headphones/705
here you go

Apr 4, 2011 at 10:56 PM Post #875 of 1,638
thanks pal !! much appreciate this...i see a middle finger in the pictorials..hehe.
i was wondering if i could cut out the thin cloth between the drivers and my ears.

================================

Ok...between the DT770/600 and the z1000...here's wat my ears tell me, and my limited ability to describe.

DT770 is harder to drive given its 600 ohm, volume dial doubled up to get same vol as z1000.
sounds leaner, clearer, flatwider... but z1000 seems taller more FUNNEL-out space-y sounding.
DT770's vocals stands further back, all instruments laid out left to right,
z1000's vocal is more forward sounding..with the other instruments funnelling out.
Basswise the DT770 is tauter, tighter, hits harder, though not too heavy as in a bassheadBASS.
The z1000 on mine hasnt quite tighten up, if it ever will...it might have clocked 50-100hours..?

U know the difference between a sonus faber piano and a harbeth...think along those lines.
the z1000 is non fatigueing.. v easy on the ears once u get accustomed to its signature..
abit like the bowers P5.. okkk dun throw stones at me, i love the P5, its very enjoyable.

IF i want to listen to complex orchestra pieces, snazzy guitarworks i would use the DT770.
if i want to chill out with more intimate vocals n cool jazz i would pick the z1000...
like right now, the z1000 has disappeared into my head..nice.

ps: actually the z1000 's sound sig reminds me SO MUCH of the FISCHER 003...a tad less intimate..003 is alittle warmer.
if i have to choose between these two, my money is on the 003. 
tongue.gif

edit: my setup for this session ...macbook/ dacport/ lehmann BCL.. the BCL is a lean fast amp with good microdetailing abilities.IMHO
songs i ran thru quickly..MJ beat it, TRAINCHA, YoYoMA ennio morricone..FYGI...

Apr 5, 2011 at 12:08 AM Post #876 of 1,638
quick note...just switched to the Burson ha160 amp...which is beefier fuller kind of amp compared to the lean BCL
It enriched/bloated the z1000, more spacey, muddier..dreamier..whichever word u wanna choose.
quite scintilating if u just wanna focus on a main voice, or sax.. n dun mind the backup jumble.

The burson liven up the DT770 across the board instead, full-up the lean clean beyer presentation otherwise, NICE.

ps: one feature on the burson amp is the Lo gain, and Hi gain outlet...which is v useful here for A/B
i can plug in both headphones and both sounded the same volume,
i dun hv to tune up n down the vol ..vs the lehman bcl.

Apr 6, 2011 at 6:28 AM Post #877 of 1,638
With some time on hand, i fixed up my EF5 hybrid amp thru a dacport..
and plugged in the Z1000, and wahlaaaa, this bird really SINGss on this combo.
It is finally living up to its billing as a top of the line headfone, whew.
The bloat, spaceyness adjectives can be dropped from the z1000.
It is very in your face, warm...like u are in a small pub stage..
bossa nova is superb on this can, let me try some orchestra musak..
see what happens.

Eiji Oue is on the rostrum now...BOLERO...
getting off onto a HOT FIERY start..wow.. its keeping pace with a gusto..
this z1000 is ON FIRE!!!

i dun hear any weakness ...very very good indeed. rivaling T5p...
need more time on this..but for now..
its money well spent. chowww!!

Apr 6, 2011 at 7:38 AM Post #878 of 1,638

Quote:
see what happens.

this z1000 is ON FIRE!!!

Thanks for all the impressions so far! I've been using the Z1000s with my DACport for a while now and was wondering if you've tried that combo and if you have, what do you think of it compared to the other AMP combos you've tried?

Apr 6, 2011 at 8:02 AM Post #879 of 1,638
see what happens.

this z1000 is ON FIRE!!!

had both T5p and Z1000. From the same source they're completely different HP, and I (personally) strongly prefer T5p. Tubes will do Z1000 good by bumping the mids a bit, Z1000 sounded better from my small tube bravo amp. That said, it's still not on par with T5p by any means. Sound-stage, FR resembling uncolored sound, detail, comfort are all better on T5p. Only isolation and the deeper and more prominent lower end are better on Z1000 (fixable with EQ for T5p). Z1000 even with a tube amp is less than remarkable for classical music (whether voice, violin, piano, chamber strings or orchestra + soloist). For rock or metal, Z1000 is quite pleasant though, while I can't say quite the same for T5p (although arguably I'm under-amping T5p, so YMMV for bass, brightness and T5p)

Apr 6, 2011 at 8:11 AM Post #880 of 1,638

Quote:
had both T5p and Z1000. From the same source they're completely different HP, and I (personally) strongly prefer T5p. Tubes will do Z1000 good by bumping the mids a bit, Z1000 sounded better from my small tube bravo amp. That said, it's still not on par with T5p by any means. Sound-stage, FR resembling uncolored sound, detail, comfort are all better on T5p. Only isolation and the deeper and more prominent lower end are better on Z1000 (fixable with EQ for T5p). Z1000 even with a tube amp is less than remarkable for classical music (whether voice, violin, piano, chamber strings or orchestra + soloist). For rock or metal, Z1000 is quite pleasant though, while I can't say quite the same for T5p (although arguably I'm under-amping T5p, so YMMV for bass, brightness and T5p)

Thank you, thank you, thank you! You just cured me from Z1000! I feel relief and hope it will take some time before I find another can I want to try (FA-011, ESW10, ES10 on their way to me ATM).

Apr 6, 2011 at 10:31 AM Post #881 of 1,638
Quote:
Quote:
see what happens.

this z1000 is ON FIRE!!!

ಠ_ಠ

I'd rather say z1000 is very easily colored by amping, and for my case I simply don't like to match it with tube ==
And I remember you said before that it is very dark while I have another audiophile friend who find it to be little too bright! (neutral or slightly on bright side imo)
For comfort wise its simply the best I've ever met.

Haven't tried t5p though but I purchased this after side by side comparison with ed8.

Apr 6, 2011 at 11:13 AM Post #883 of 1,638
ಠ_ಠ

I'd rather say z1000 is very easily colored by amping, and for my case I simply don't like to match it with tube ==
And I remember you said before that it is very dark while I have another audiophile friend who find it to be little too bright! (neutral or slightly on bright side imo)
For comfort wise its simply the best I've ever met.

Haven't tried t5p though but I purchased this after side by side comparison with ed8.

re-read the old posts - p56. (re: dark). there is a dip in the mids. highs are actually somewhat bright on Z1000. As for tubes - not everyone likes the tube coloration. (in particular 12AU7). I didn't, but it did bring up the mids a bit more...
The headband can be uncomfortable - doesn't sit flat on the top of the head for some people (to do with how the joints connect to the cups), the clamping can be quite strong and moisture builds up in the cups in a matter of minutes in warmer temps.

Apr 6, 2011 at 11:18 AM Post #884 of 1,638
as u can read from my three post, the sound of the z1000 changed from amp to amp...
right now i just plug it directly into the dacport. It is sounding 90% closer to the EF5 amp,
soundstage is warm, wide, tall, agile.,taut, nothing loose.. i like it almost immediately.
(the ef5 just adds alittle extra SHINE to the presentation..i love this ef5 hybrid so much...dammmm, its a super buy!)

The worst matching is with the burson amp( clumsy)...then the bcl(lean n cool)... then dacport alone( likeable)..the best is with the ef5(brilliant).

T5p, at times i find that it is tooo clear...like a lazer..can be alittle fatigueing if u unwittingly tune up a vol a tad louder..
i have that habit. I find the z1000 more soothing, maybe not super clear like the t5p.

(In case i have made the burson to sound so bad, i find tat it synergies the best with the T1 , very absorbing... compared to the t5p, hd800 )

=======================
caveat : my ears, n my own musical adjectives...pardon pardon.

Apr 6, 2011 at 11:28 AM Post #885 of 1,638
i dun own a full tube amp...i suspect it will tilt the z1000 towards the bloated WARM side of things..
judging from a few comments here in that line of tot.
(much as i find the burson tilts it the other way, solid state bloatedness.) 

the EF5 is a hybrid, speed , power  n warm..it hits a sweet sweet spot to my ears.
i shant  say what it did to the hd800..
tongue.gif

=======

just plugged the EF5 amp back thru the dacport...oh myyy...the music comes ALIVE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back