MDR-Z1000 new Sony flagship headphones
Apr 6, 2011 at 3:52 PM Post #886 of 1,638

Quote:
Quote:
ಠ_ಠ

I'd rather say z1000 is very easily colored by amping, and for my case I simply don't like to match it with tube ==
And I remember you said before that it is very dark while I have another audiophile friend who find it to be little too bright! (neutral or slightly on bright side imo)
For comfort wise its simply the best I've ever met.

Haven't tried t5p though but I purchased this after side by side comparison with ed8.

re-read the old posts - p56. (re: dark). there is a dip in the mids. highs are actually somewhat bright on Z1000. As for tubes - not everyone likes the tube coloration. (in particular 12AU7). I didn't, but it did bring up the mids a bit more...
The headband can be uncomfortable - doesn't sit flat on the top of the head for some people (to do with how the joints connect to the cups), the clamping can be quite strong and moisture builds up in the cups in a matter of minutes in warmer temps.

Hmm didn't notice the peak, well maybe I'm not analytic enough..

Quote:
as u can read from my three post, the sound of the z1000 changed from amp to amp...
right now i just plug it directly into the dacport. It is sounding 90% closer to the EF5 amp,
soundstage is warm, wide, tall, agile.,taut, nothing loose.. i like it almost immediately.
(the ef5 just adds alittle extra SHINE to the presentation..i love this ef5 hybrid so much...dammmm, its a super buy!)

The worst matching is with the burson amp( clumsy)...then the bcl(lean n cool)... then dacport alone( likeable)..the best is with the ef5(brilliant).

T5p, at times i find that it is tooo clear...like a lazer..can be alittle fatigueing if u unwittingly tune up a vol a tad louder..
i have that habit. I find the z1000 more soothing, maybe not super clear like the t5p.

(In case i have made the burson to sound so bad, i find tat it synergies the best with the T1 , very absorbing... compared to the t5p, hd800 )

=======================
caveat : my ears, n my own musical adjectives...pardon pardon.

ops I'm using the worst matching ==
have you tried it on the left jack of the burson? I'm using left side for whatever headphones

edit: now I find myself prefering low gain side for z1000, sounds much more natural with huge soundstage, hmm I'm still exploring this amp

Apr 6, 2011 at 4:58 PM Post #887 of 1,638
A dip in the mids?  How much and where?

Apr 6, 2011 at 7:51 PM Post #888 of 1,638
ya, i much prefer the high gain on the burson, adds abit of fire vs the low gain side of things.

=========
i find the cups of the z1000 just fit my ears without much allowance...
and i am not a bigeared guy...ditto the rest of my bodyparts.
So i am wondering how it fits u BIGEARs guys out there? 
tongue.gif

Apr 6, 2011 at 9:02 PM Post #889 of 1,638
in case u are not familiar with the hifiman EF5, this is copied out from 6moon: 
(i am no techqie, i am the.."just put headfone on head, n plug into amp kinda guy 
etysmile.gif
 )

The EF5 is a smartly styled glossy black single-input headphone amplifier with outboard power supply. The main unit with translucent plexi top runs a 12AU7 input stage and OPA275 transistor outputs. This hybrid circuit generates up to 15 volts into 32 ohms. As we'll see, such potency is a good thing. It's by design and necessity. Dimensions are 110 x 50 x 270 mm WxHxD - times two of course since there's two enclosures linked by 2-pin umbilical with integral ferrite clamp.
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/hifiman/system.html

==============================================================================

Neglected my T5p somewhat, just took it out and plugged into the EF5....
the sound is CLARION, Very very good...(sound presentation broader)
if i describe the z1000 as very good...(sound presentation funneled vis a vis T5p)

(gone back the pages in this thread, the varied responses to this fone just shows that matching is quite critical to this can.
if u can hear what i am hearing, u wont say this z1000 is muddy, bloated, not studioquality,..or any adjectives to suggest tat it is mediocre..this z1000 is a superb can...bros. It just need some serious juice.

Apr 7, 2011 at 1:55 AM Post #890 of 1,638

Quote:
T5p, at times i find that it is tooo clear...like a lazer..can be alittle fatigueing if u unwittingly tune up a vol a tad louder..
i have that habit. I find the z1000 more soothing, maybe not super clear like the t5p.

Gotta love the transparency and detail - I realy do not think any portable phone is as good for detail and transparency as T5ps.

Quote:
(In case i have made the burson to sound so bad, i find tat it synergies the best with the T1 , very absorbing... compared to the t5p, hd800 )

Sounds very interesting. I am just about to buy the Burson HA-160D and hoping to get hold of a pair of T1s at some point too, so this sound sverypromising.

Apr 7, 2011 at 12:45 PM Post #891 of 1,638
its late into the nite..
am having an epiphany listening to choral hymns on the z1000..
the big cathedral sound resonating deep down the aisle and soaring up into the spires
i felt my body lifting upwards towards HOME.
wink.gif

all thru the dacport-BCLamp. 
excellante!
http://www.amazon.com/Hymns-Triumphant-1-Lee-Holdridge/dp/B000063T4J

Apr 26, 2011 at 10:44 AM Post #893 of 1,638
Nobody touched on the soundstage at all yet.  How big is the soundstage, can anyone compare it to other models out there.  I was going to buy the Edition 8 but was told the Z1000 is no slouch in the staging area and might be almost or just as good

Apr 26, 2011 at 1:38 PM Post #898 of 1,638
I've never heard the Edition 8, so I can't comment on it, but IMHO, the soundstage is normal for closed headphones .It's not particularly small either, jazz formations or classical are pretty fine in my opinion on the Z1000 as far as soundstage is concerned, the instruments are not walking on each others toes if you see what I mean.

May 18, 2011 at 3:50 AM Post #899 of 1,638
I have owned W1000X previously (not at the same time as Z1000) and off the top of my head I'd say the soundstage on the Z1000 is comparable, but not better. Keep in mind the W1000X has several ports and does not isolate very well for a "closed" can, while the Z1000 has just one small port and isolates very well. For me, that meant that the W1000X still kept an "open" sound while mainly just looking closed, with all the positives and negatives that entails. The Z1000 most certainly is closed, which is the reason I bought them, while I use my LCD-2 as open cans. But for a closed can, I'd say the imaging and soundstage of the Z1000 is rather remarkable!

I use the Z1000 when commuting to work every day, and also at home when my fiancee is studying as not to disturb her. If i'd use the LCD-2 she would have to leave the room and shut the door, so she's very appreciative of the Z1000 :)

I'm still just using an ipod touch 2nd gen. with it on the commute, hoping to get a better amp/dac portable solution someday and try out. Definately noticed an improvement when I plugged the Z1000 into my home amps and the Benchmarch DAC1 (Schiit lyr, Heed Canamp) on all fronts so that'll be my next step. Thinking mostly about the Hifiman-602 at the moment, any recommendations anyone?

May 19, 2011 at 7:08 PM Post #900 of 1,638
I want to know what the appeal of the z1000 is.  I've never heard it, and have been unsuccessful in my research in finding out what this set sounds like.  Is it more colored than neutral?  Whats the soundstage like?  Is it bass heavy? How does it respond to proper amping? I've too many questions to list :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back