MDR-Z1000 new Sony flagship headphones
Sep 5, 2010 at 7:56 PM Post #66 of 1,638
HOLY LAWWWD.

Time to bust out my SA5000 and see if I really want to sell them. Damn, were they ever a good headphone... really makes me interested in this new sony model... despite how unoriginal it looks. Hopefully all the money is in the technology, though.

FWIW the D7000 is 24 ohms and sounds amazing so this ohm talk is useless.

Sep 5, 2010 at 8:47 PM Post #67 of 1,638

Quote:
Will this only be sold in Japan? I guess my dream of a 010 type headphone for 1,000-1,2000 will never happen.. If the street price is under 400 & betters the SA5000 technically, I'm sure I'd bite.. Ohms means nothing in regards to headphone wuality & sound.. All my headphones have a ohm rating of 5-120.. I am a big supporter of Sony, & glad they have comre out with their new flagship model.. I just hope it can compete with the likes of the LCD2/HD800 for less price..

That, my friend is a very tall order for this new headphone.. but if it is the case, I will certainly buy one too.

I am listening to my SA5K now and there is so much to love about it... the light weight, the speed, the look, the sound signature... truly a great headphone -one of the best. The overall design merits are insane, too... especially considering what passes as "state of the art" for lots of recent headphones. 

My LCD-2 are better than it in most ways, though. However, some songs sound better on the SA5K, but I don't think it is true detail. The LCD-2 pulls tons of details, especially in the low frequencies, that I never new where there in songs I have listened to for 75% of my life.

If they pulled the bass up to par, and kept it a little brighter than the LCD-2 with increased micro and macro dynamics(compared to the SA5K) it would definitely compete, for 250$ less.

However, it doesn't seem to have much going for it with the closed back design. I love closed headphones, don't get me wrong my ultrasones were great, and my D7000 is superb, but they will never sound as quick or transparent as the open ones.

Plus, people are going to have to get some decent amps to power those thirsty 24 ohm headphones. They will drink your amps current dry!

Sep 5, 2010 at 8:50 PM Post #68 of 1,638
Looks ugly, cheap, uncomfortable... and just for 735!

+ info:
http://en.akihabaranews.com/59572/

Yeah, but the proof is in the pudding.  What about the drivers?  What about the way the drivers are supported?  If it sounds good, everything else is secondary.  I think it's interesting that Sony put a $735 price tag onto these headphones.  That's a very interesting figure.  These are not hanging-hook headphones but they're also marketed well below the cool grand that has become the new standard price for somebody's newest, bestest headphone.

I look forward to reading the reviews in November.

Sep 5, 2010 at 8:57 PM Post #69 of 1,638
Yeah... I am very happy I now have some new headphone to look forward too. Since I got my LCD-2 I seem to have lost my headphone boner.

Maybe the MDR-Z1000 can get it back up :wink:

Sep 5, 2010 at 9:31 PM Post #73 of 1,638

Quote:
I wouldn't necessarily call that a bad thing.  :D

Not at all. And FWIW, my only "problem" with Sony products is that they never breakdown, so it's always hard to go back to my wife and ask for an upgrade.
smile.gif

Sep 5, 2010 at 9:31 PM Post #74 of 1,638

Quote:
I wouldn't necessarily call that a bad thing.  :D

Yeah I would rather have Ugly Betties with Megan Fox inside, than Megan fox on the outside with Ugly Betty on the inside... you get my point.

Transducer over all else I guess. Looks are always a welcomed second though... but for the edition 8/9/10 a fair amount of your coin is going for the looks, not that they don't sound good.. but they could be like 500$ cheaper.

Sep 5, 2010 at 9:55 PM Post #75 of 1,638
A lot of cans could be $500 cheaper. And they are Ugly Betties outside. I rather they at least look the price tag. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back