MDR-Z1000 new Sony flagship headphones
Jan 14, 2011 at 8:19 AM Post #676 of 1,638
MDR-7510 doesn't have the LCD driver. Only Z1000 and EX1000. I wonder how expensive it is to manufacture this material... and if it is viable as speaker driver :p. The sound signature seems to be getting very good reception, would like to see sony make new speakers with these drivers.

edit: my bad, didn't know the newer mdr-7520 had LCD.

Jan 14, 2011 at 8:50 AM Post #678 of 1,638

Quote:
MDR-7510 doesn't have the LCD driver. Only Z1000 and EX1000. I wonder how expensive it is to manufacture this material... and if it is viable as speaker driver :p. The sound signature seems to be getting very good reception, would like to see sony make new speakers with these drivers.

Yes, but the MDR-7520 has the same driver as the Z1000, at least according to the Sony Pro website.

From what I understand the driver materials for headphones might not be directly suitable for speakers. Headphones generally need to produce less sound pressure than speakers, so the membrane materials don't need to be as rigid, and the headphone drivers can be made of lighter materials and easily be made a lot more efficient.

It might be a suitable material for a treble driver, though other materials might handle the pressure levels better.

I suppose there is always some compromising between weight and stiffness (and price) in driver materials.

Jan 14, 2011 at 11:09 AM Post #680 of 1,638
Despite the fact that they name the Z1000 as studio headphones, I think they are clearly targetted more for the audiophile/music lover market, with their looks. The 7520 looks much more like what I'd expect from a Sony studio headphone, sticker and all.

Jan 14, 2011 at 11:36 AM Post #682 of 1,638
The Z1000 cannot be used with the Virtue or any other Tripath-based amp, as the common negative of the headphones would represent a direct short to the independent actively-driven negatives of the Virtue.  Only balanced phones with independent ground returns can be used with this type of amplifier.

Quote:
Quote:
These phones are very easy to drive, more like an IEM. My Android phone drives them very easily without the use of an external amp. I haven't yet had an opportunity to determine how well they scale with my modded portables, but given a decent DAP, they do sound very acceptable when driven directly from the player. I briefly tried it for compatibility with my HiFiMan Hm-602 and was pleased to find that pairing to be excellent.

Ron, have you tried running them from your Virtue amp yet and do they scale well driven this way?

Jan 14, 2011 at 11:44 AM Post #683 of 1,638
Without also replacing the socket with a matching 4-connector TRS, the phones would still have a common return path between left and right channels, even if the 4-pin plug managed to make contact with the stock socket ground.   Just looking at the construction, IMO it would be very easy to ruin an expensive set of phones.  I have tackled a lot of DIY projects, but this is one that I will forego!

Quote:
I think Sony has a four connector 1/8 TRS that might work with the Z1000. With it I think you can run balance and SE. This would be my first mod if I didn't want to try the HE6 and LCD2 so badly.

Jan 14, 2011 at 11:54 AM Post #684 of 1,638

Quote:
I looked again and 7520 does have LCD, my bad. I'll fix my other post. Are the drivers identical? Why the difference in frequency response?

Actually both the Z1000 and 7520 have the same 5 - 80 000 Hz range, though the tolerance is not quoted anywhere, as usual with Sony.

Some times the frequency responses might be reported differently for the "pro" models though, as the response is measured with tighter tolerances.
I think this is the case with V6 vs. 7506, though I could not find the driver part numbers to verify.

For instance a headphone might achieve a 5-30 000 Hz range with +/- 6dB, but only 20-20 000 Hz range with a more agreeable +/-3dB tolerance.

Quote:
IMHO, except the black paint on the branches they look exactly the same, after all stickers can be taken out.

Yes, but if you remove the stickers, then it won't look like you're a pro anymore, and you'll lose the extra credibility points :wink:

Jan 14, 2011 at 2:35 PM Post #685 of 1,638

Quote:
Without also replacing the socket with a matching 4-connector TRS, the phones would still have a common return path between left and right channels, even if the 4-pin plug managed to make contact with the stock socket ground.   Just looking at the construction, IMO it would be very easy to ruin an expensive set of phones.  I have tackled a lot of DIY projects, but this is one that I will forego!

Quote:
I think Sony has a four connector 1/8 TRS that might work with the Z1000. With it I think you can run balance and SE. This would be my first mod if I didn't want to try the HE6 and LCD2 so badly.

That is what I meant, replacing the jack on the headphone.  Sony uses 3 and 4 connector mini TRS connectors on some of their wireless microphone transmitter packs that has screw locks. It even looks like the plug from the Z1000 is the exact same plug Sony has been using on their wireless mics.  I am just speculating that the 4 conductor mini TRS jack can be a direct fit without modding if the jack on the Z1000 is the same one on the mic transmitters.

Jan 15, 2011 at 12:40 AM Post #686 of 1,638
Quote:
From the specs and the link...they appear to be the same thing. Even used the LCD Diaphragm!

so what's the next step, edge lit led diaphragms? are plasma versions less blurry on transients?
tongue.gif

Jan 15, 2011 at 2:12 AM Post #688 of 1,638
I still prefer tubes in my amps and displays.

Jan 15, 2011 at 6:18 AM Post #690 of 1,638
Just noticed something.

1. Power handling capacity: 4,000 mW (IEC) ~ 2^12
  2. Sensitivity: 108 dB/mW

Considering that doubling the power (assuming a linear response) means getting 3 dB higher, we now have 108+12*3=144 dB max volume, I will finally be able to hear my 24 bit recordings in their full glory
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back