MDR-Z1000 new Sony flagship headphones
Jan 16, 2011 at 11:31 AM Post #707 of 1,638

Quote:
There's a picture of the Z1000 without the the pads where we can see the drivers, does anyone know if and how they can be removed?

You just pull them off... I sort of pinched the width of the pad, and pushed the pad outward from the inner edge. That gets it started coming off, and from there it just comes the rest of the way off very easily. There's a flat lip basically on the pad which sits in a groove the whole way around the ear cup. It's a little trickier getting it back on. You just have to get the thin lip started in the groove, and pull the pad sort of in place and keep seating the lip back in the groove all the way around. It goes easily once you get the first half back on. 

Jan 16, 2011 at 2:51 PM Post #709 of 1,638

Quote:
Sorry, I didn't understand your explanation, my pads remain firmly attached no matter how I pull them.

Here are some pictures for you:

(Here you can see I'm just pushing with my finger on the inside edge)

(I'm pulling outward on the inner edge of the pad with my middle finger here, while holding on the ear cup with my thumb- this gives a surface to pull against. And you can see the pad starting to come off on the top corner)

(Then it just comes off easily)

(Here you can see the groove that the edge of the pads fit into)

Hope this helps! I couldn't do images of getting it back on because that takes a constant effort with two hands!

Jan 16, 2011 at 5:50 PM Post #710 of 1,638
Very nice pictorial!!!    It appears as though the drivers are angled toward the rear, similar to the SA5000 and F1 and, of course, the HD800.  I tried to locate the service manual so I could get some disassembly info, as I would like to see how feasible it might be to change the cable socket for a 4-connector TRS, just in case I might ever want to balance them. I don't think Sony has made the service info available yet. 

I certainly don't want to cobble up the magnesium housing or try to make a dual-entry.  It is not readily apparent how the wiring is routed to the right earcup. Very neatly done, at any rate.

Jan 16, 2011 at 6:51 PM Post #711 of 1,638
It seems each headphone company dedicates itself on specific strengths and weaknesses, and you're suppose to match it with your transport, source, and headphone amp sound signature. Maybe tubes can melt es10's ice. Solid state against the d5000's warmth. hybrid or tubes to warm up the z1000 and melo out its extreme treble.

Jan 16, 2011 at 7:05 PM Post #712 of 1,638
I wonder if replacement pads from other models or companies could fit these cans.....
cool.gif
maybe a simple mod like that could let us play a bit with frequencies.

Jan 16, 2011 at 7:28 PM Post #713 of 1,638
That would be really cool... I can confirm that they take to cable changes quite well. I picked up a cable from warrior05, and it opened up the soundstage a good deal, as well as making things a little more sparkly and lively. I think since they're so revealing owners will hear the slightest changes in source/cable/pads, etc.... 

Jan 16, 2011 at 8:06 PM Post #714 of 1,638

Quote:
That would be really cool... I can confirm that they take to cable changes quite well. I picked up a cable from warrior05, and it opened up the soundstage a good deal, as well as making things a little more sparkly and lively. I think since they're so revealing owners will hear the slightest changes in source/cable/pads, etc.... 

I'm fairly new to this head-fi hobby
redface.gif
, but I'm reading like crazy all kinds of posts, very informative. I am currently enjoying the Sony sound because its the most easily available in my country (Mexico).
From what I am reading there's seem to be almost universal praise for the Z1000, not so much for the Edition 10 from Ultrasone. Could it be just price/performance or does Sony really have a winner that will reach the status of R-10, Qualia, etc.?

Jan 16, 2011 at 9:00 PM Post #715 of 1,638
Very nice pictorial indeed, thanks a lot.

A little precision, if you consider the black surface a vertical plane, I would say the drivers are angled at 25 degrees, making them parallel to your ears.

And a small gift with a picture showing the innards of the Z1000.

The same with an emphasis on the driver.

Jan 16, 2011 at 9:13 PM Post #716 of 1,638
Sony likes to use the same driver For alot of their phones. But different Material for the diaphragm. 

Jan 16, 2011 at 9:37 PM Post #717 of 1,638
khaos-
Cool... I see you got the ear pad off okay... were you able to get it back on without too much difficulty? Thanks for the pics, yours are a fair bit clearer than mine since I only had my iPhone handy at the time.

Jan 16, 2011 at 10:14 PM Post #718 of 1,638
It's actually quite easy to get the pad back on once you know the right order.

I find it easier if you start with the front bottom part (relative to how the headphone is positioned on your head) of the pad and get the lip back into the groove bit by bit, ending with the top back part.

Jan 17, 2011 at 1:51 AM Post #719 of 1,638
What types of cable were you using from warrior05? If changing the cable will open up the soundstage a little more, I'm might be getting this one. How airy when comparing to HD800 or K701?

Ken

Quote:

Jan 17, 2011 at 10:15 AM Post #720 of 1,638

Quote:
What types of cable were you using from warrior05? If changing the cable will open up the soundstage a little more, I'm might be getting this one. How airy when comparing to HD800 or K701?

Ken

Quote:

The cable I got from him is Litz braided silver plated copper wiring sleeved in multi-filament (cloth-like sleeving). It's 5 1/2 feet, with Neutrik mini plugs at both ends. I can use it with my TMAs, and will be able to on my incoming Ultrasone Pro 900s (I think). 

Unfortunately I don't have experience with either of the other headphones you're asking about, so can't comment on how airy it is in comparison. But I can say that it's a nice increase in soundstage and treble sparkle over stock. If you want to try a cable out, just PM him. Good luck! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back