MDR-Z1000 new Sony flagship headphones
Jan 13, 2011 at 11:40 PM Post #661 of 1,638
I think Sony has a four connector 1/8 TRS that might work with the Z1000.  With it I think you can run balance and SE.  This would be my first mod if I didn't want to try the HE6 and LCD2 so badly.

Jan 14, 2011 at 3:23 AM Post #662 of 1,638
So, I went out and bought a pair of MDR-Z1000.
beerchug.gif

Jan 14, 2011 at 3:45 AM Post #663 of 1,638
Hi.

There seems to be a broadcast version of the Z1000.

I ran into this on the Sony Professional website:
http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/cat-audio/cat-headphones/product-MDR7520/

General Specifications Detail:
Headphone Type Dynamic. Closed
Magnet Type Neodymium
Driver Size 50.0mm
Frequency Response 5-80kHz
Impedance 24 Ohms
Sensitivity 108 dB/mW
Power Handling 4,000mW
Plug Type Gold, Stereo Unimatch plug 1/4" and 1/8"
Cord Length 9.8 ft
Weight 9.5 oz

Seems to be the MDR-Z1000 with a slightly different colouring.

There also appears to be an MDR-7510, with the same looks but different specs.

Headphone Type Dynamic, Closed
Magnet Type Neodymium
Driver Size 50.0mm
Frequency Response 5-40kHz
Impedance 24 Ohms
Sensitivity 108 dB/mW
Power Handling 2,000mW
Plug Type Gold, Stereo Unimatch plug 1/4" and 1/8""
Cord Length 9.8 ft
Weight 9.2 oz

Unfortunately no pricing details yet...

Jan 14, 2011 at 3:49 AM Post #664 of 1,638
Quote:
These phones are very easy to drive, more like an IEM. My Android phone drives them very easily without the use of an external amp. I haven't yet had an opportunity to determine how well they scale with my modded portables, but given a decent DAP, they do sound very acceptable when driven directly from the player. I briefly tried it for compatibility with my HiFiMan Hm-602 and was pleased to find that pairing to be excellent.

Ron, have you tried running them from your Virtue amp yet and do they scale well driven this way?

Jan 14, 2011 at 4:33 AM Post #666 of 1,638
From the specs and the link...they appear to be the same thing. Even used the LCD Diaphragm! 

Quote:
Hi.

There seems to be a broadcast version of the Z1000.

I ran into this on the Sony Professional website:
http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/cat-audio/cat-headphones/product-MDR7520/

Headphone Type Dynamic. Closed
Magnet Type Neodymium
Driver Size 50.0mm
Frequency Response 5-80kHz
Impedance 24 Ohms
Sensitivity 108 dB/mW
Power Handling 4,000mW
Plug Type Gold, Stereo Unimatch plug 1/4" and 1/8"
Cord Length 9.8 ft
Weight 9.5 oz

Seems to be the MDR-Z1000 with a slightly different colouring.

There also appears to be an MDR-7510, with the same looks but different specs.

Headphone Type Dynamic, Closed
Magnet Type Neodymium
Driver Size 50.0mm
Frequency Response 5-40kHz
Impedance 24 Ohms
Sensitivity 108 dB/mW
Power Handling 2,000mW
Plug Type Gold, Stereo Unimatch plug 1/4" and 1/8""
Cord Length 9.8 ft
Weight 9.2 oz

Unfortunately no pricing details yet...

Jan 14, 2011 at 4:43 AM Post #667 of 1,638
Well, for potential buyers, I'll give a shot at giving a physical description of those headphones.

They come in a fairly good package, nothing luxurious like a pair of HD800, but a normal cardboard box, but there's a satin piece of material where the headphones rest to give you the impression.
Inside there's the usual manual and a booklet praising how revolutionary the Z1000 is :D

A leather/pleather carrying pouch,  fairly unremarkable but well made enough, there's a secondary pouch inside to allow to to separate the cables and the headphones.

There's a 1.2 m cable with a nice angled jack and a 3 m one with a straight one, both are 3.5 mm and the converter provided only fits the 3 m cable. The cables are very nice in a functional way, very flexible and solid looking. They are somewhat microphonic though and tend to pick up sounds at the junction between the cable and the headphones. Imagine a decently made USB cable and you have an idea of how the main bod of the cables is.

Concerning the headphones themselves, they feel pretty mice in general. some precisions below
  1. False or real leather?  IMHO, false leather, but actually there are 2 kinds of leather, one that feels pretty nice (if a little thin), which is on the headband and the external part of the earpads, on the internal part, another one is used, it's both thinner and looks less resistant, only time will tell how it will fare. The pads smell like leather, I wouldn't bet against chemists having developed a leather smelling false leather.
  2. They are pretty small as far as circumaural headphones go, the inner back of my ear touches the pads no matter how I position the headphones, nothing like a pair of K701 or HD600. Pads are fairly shallow, a little more than 1 cm, the exterior of my ear barely to the material covering the driver.
  3. They are hot, well not really but my ear are in a small confined shell which doesn't allow them to breath much, maybe it's due to my not being used to close headphones, but they are hotter that the SH 840 for example. Some microphonics issues since your ear is touching the pads.
  4. They feel sturdy, really solid, the shell is magnesium (an alloy I presume) and I'd guess they'd survive a few bumps without scratch. I wouldn't be sure of being able to preserve their good looks (the leather) but it would be difficult to break them, the structural strength looks good.
  5. They would fit without difficulty on a big head, no excessive pressure (I'm told my head is fairly large) and the branches can still be stretched more.
  6. Despite their rugged look, they feel polished, as if everything was designed with a purpose in mind. The different articulations feel as is they were oiled before as they rotate so smoothly.
  7. No flashy looks, not big MDR-Z1000 written to attract attention, there are 2 "Sony" on the side though, still I think that I could use them outside without attracting unwanted attention. A big reason for that is also the matte finish.
  8. Sensitive, at 108 dB/mW, at 5/100 directly from the headphone out of an Macbook Pro is a high enough volume for a long listening session.
  9. Fairly isolating compared to open headphones but nowhere close to a good pair of Etymotics with tri-flanges on. They leak very little sound, about the same as a pair of IEM on a table plaing at moderate volume I suppose.
  10. Weareable with glasses as long as your glasses are adapted to headphone wearing.

That's all for now, pretty satisfied of the sound for the moment. Oh, I know I spoke a lot about the defaults, but to avoid confusion, I'd precise I can live with them.

When I speak of the internal leather part, it's the par colored in yellow, by the way, can someone tell me what the purpose of the holes circled in red is?

Jan 14, 2011 at 5:16 AM Post #669 of 1,638
As long as you use the provided pouch, there's no problem, to be more accurate, I doubt you'll break the headphones by throwing them in a bag, but any piercing/cutting object would be quite bad for the leather which is quite thin. So yes, I'd use them as portable cans as long as there's not object applying  pressure on a single point in my bag.

Jan 14, 2011 at 6:55 AM Post #671 of 1,638
Well, for potential buyers, I'll give a shot at giving a physical description of those headphones.

They come in a fairly good package, nothing luxurious like a pair of HD800, but a normal cardboard box, but there's a satin piece of material where the headphones rest to give you the impression.
Inside there's the usual manual and a booklet praising how revolutionary the Z1000 is :D

A leather/pleather carrying pouch,  fairly unremarkable but well made enough, there's a secondary pouch inside to allow to to separate the cables and the headphones.

There's a 1.2 m cable with a nice angled jack and a 3 m one with a straight one, both are 3.5 mm and the converter provided only fits the 3 m cable. The cables are very nice in a functional way, very flexible and solid looking. They are somewhat microphonic though and tend to pick up sounds if the junction between the cable and the headphones. Imagine a decently made USB cable and you have an idea of how the main bod of the cables is.

Concerning the headphones themselves, they feel pretty mice in general. some precisions below
  1. False or real leather?  IMHO, false leather, but actually there are 2 kinds of leather, one that feels pretty nice (if a little thin), which is on the headband and the external part of the earpads, on the internal part, another one is used, it's both thinner and looks less resistant, only time will tell how it will fare. The pads smell like leather, I wouldn't bet against chemists having developed a leather smelling false leather.
  2. They are pretty small as far as circumaural headphones go, the inner back of my ear touches the pads no matter how I position the headphones, nothing like a pair of K701 or HD600.
  3. They are hot, well not really but my ear are in a small confined shell which doesn't allow them to breath much, maybe it's due to my not being used to close headphones, but they are hotter that the SH 840 for example. Some microphonics issues since your ear is touching the pads.
  4. They feel sturdy, really solid, the shell is magnesium (an alloy I presume) and I'd guess they'd survive a few bumps without scratch. I wouldn't be sure of being able to preserve their good looks (the leather) but it would be difficult to break them, the structural strength looks good.
  5. They would fit without difficulty on a big head, no excessive pressure (I'm told my head is fairly large) and the branches can still be stretched more.
  6. Despite their rugged look, they feel polished, as if everything was designed with a purpose in mind. The different articulations feel as is they were oiled before as they rotate so smoothly.
  7. No flashy looks, not big MDR-Z1000 written to attract attention, there are 2 "Sony" on the side though, still I think that I could use them outside without attracting unwanted attention. A big reason for that is also the matte finish.
  8. Sensitive, at 108 dB/mW, at 5/100 directly from the headphone out of an Macbook Pro is a high enough volume for a long listening session.
  9. Fairly isolating compared to open headphones but nowhere close to a good pair of Etymotics with tri-flanges on.
  10. Weareable with glasses as long as your glasses are adapted to headphone wearing.

That's all for now, pretty satisfied of the sound for the moment. Oh, I know I spoke a lot about the defaults, but to avoid confusion, I'd precise I can live with them.

When I speak of the internal leather part, it's the par colored in yellow, by the way, can someone tell me what the purpose of the holes circled in red is?

big thanks for that.

the red bits might be bass vents, idk. Sort of interested if wearing outside might get water to the drivers through the hole...

>There's a 1.2 m cable with a nice angled jack and a 3 m one with a straight one, both are 3.5 mm and the converter provided only fits the 3 m cable. The cables are very nice in a functional way, very flexible and solid looking. They are somewhat microphonic though and tend to pick up sounds if the junction between the cable and the headphones. Imagine a decently made USB cable and you have an idea of how the main bod of the cables is.

I found, generally, the non-silicon/non-nylon sleeve tends to be microphonic. Does the cable-cup socket feel solid? (if I clip it on something while walking with them?)

Also, we might get coiled cables from the pro model above <3. I doubt sony can be bothered with different jacks.

>They are pretty small as far as circumaural headphones go, the inner back of my ear touches the pads no matter how I position the headphones, nothing like a pair of K701 or HD600.

=(. How much sound do they leak? How deep are the pads?

>Weareable with glasses as long as your glasses are adapted to headphone wearing.

errrm?

Jan 14, 2011 at 7:37 AM Post #672 of 1,638
  1. I found, generally, the non-silicon/non-nylon sleeve tends to be microphonic. Does the cable-cup socket feel solid? (if I clip it on something while walking with them?)

I meant AT the junction between the pads and the cable, not IF (initial post edited), Yes the cable-cup socket is solid, I just had a accident with it, I forgot it was the 1.2 m cable and not the 3 m one that was plugged in and stood up, my laptop moved by about 10 cm, not consequences ont he headphones.

1. How much sound do they leak? How deep are the pads?

Pads are fairly shallow, 1.2 cm? Outer part of my ears just touch the material covering the drivers, one fellow headfier reported that the headphone were uncomfortable because his ears touched the protection grid covering the driver. It's material > grid > driver, I don't feel my ears touching the grid. They leak very little sound, imagine a pair of IEM playing at moderate volume sitting on a table.

1. Wearable with glasses as long as your glasses are adapted to headphone wearing. errrm?

If the branches of your glasses are touching your head near your ears and not to thick, there won't be a problem, if they form an arc and are not sticking close to your head, it could become painful as the headphone have a bigger pressure than a K701 for example.

By arc, it means this shape:

Jan 14, 2011 at 7:56 AM Post #674 of 1,638
Considering that the cable is actually a male mini jack to male mini jack, it's probably easy to find a replacement, or simply just by the cable of the 7520 once the part is sold.

Quote:
The coiled cable is the main reason I got interested in the MDR-7520 instead of the Z1000, but if there is a huge price difference (like V6 vs. 7506) then the Z1000 starts to look a lot more appealing of the two :)

Jan 14, 2011 at 8:01 AM Post #675 of 1,638
  1. I found, generally, the non-silicon/non-nylon sleeve tends to be microphonic. Does the cable-cup socket feel solid? (if I clip it on something while walking with them?)

I meant AT the junction between the pads and the cable, not IF (initial post edited), Yes the cable-cup socket is solid, I just had a accident with it, I forgot it was the 1.2 m cable and not the 3 m one that was plugged in and stood up, my laptop moved by about 10 cm, not consequences ont he headphones.

1. How much sound do they leak? How deep are the pads?

Pads are fairly shallow, 1.2 cm? Outer part of my ears just touch the material covering the drivers, one fellow headfier reported that the headphone were uncomfortable because his ears touched the protection grid covering the driver. It's material > grid > driver, I don't feel my ears touching the grid. They leak very little sound, imagine a pair of IEM playing at moderate volume sitting on a table.

1. Wearable with glasses as long as your glasses are adapted to headphone wearing. errrm?

If the branches of your glasses are touching your head near your ears and not to thick, there won't be a problem, if they form an arc and are not sticking close to your head, it could become painful as the headphone have a bigger pressure than a K701 for example.

By arc, it means this shape:

Thanks very much! Got a pair from wh123.

You can also get a discount it seems (on a price lower than pricejp)

http://www.warehouse123.com/tech/2010/12/06/sony-mdr-z1000-professional-headphone-review/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back