Matrix X-Sabre DAC review and impression thread
May 29, 2013 at 11:38 PM Post #556 of 1,273
Mine arrived here today, been warming it up for a few hours and getting the courage up to have a listen.

May 30, 2013 at 5:54 PM Post #559 of 1,273
May 30, 2013 at 8:49 PM Post #560 of 1,273
I wouldn't use anything like that with the X-Sabre if possible. Direct line from computer to DAC is ideal.

May 30, 2013 at 9:33 PM Post #561 of 1,273
Quote:
I wouldn't use anything like that with the X-Sabre if possible. Direct line from computer to DAC is ideal.

Doesn't it use USB power? Usually USB powered receivers greatly benefit from things like iUSB Power, but if its fully galvanically isolated and don't rely on USB power line, it's fruitless.

May 31, 2013 at 6:20 PM Post #564 of 1,273
What are you talking about? There is one power supply for the whole DAC just like every other DAC out there. Within the X-Sabre there is the circuitry from the X-SPDIF so its USB input is very good.

May 31, 2013 at 6:25 PM Post #565 of 1,273
Quote:
What are you talking about? There is one power supply for the whole DAC just like every other DAC out there. Within the X-Sabre there is the circuitry from the X-SPDIF so its USB input is very good.

The power supply could be for the analog portion of the Dac only. The USB section can either draw 5V from the USB port, or draw power from its own transformer. You'd be surprised to know many Dac cheaps out on the USB part =p.

The Eximus DP1 for example, the analog stage uses its own power supply, but the USB input (also XMOS) draw 5V from the computer usb port.

May 31, 2013 at 9:16 PM Post #566 of 1,273
Quote:
The power supply could be for the analog portion of the Dac only. The USB section can either draw 5V from the USB port, or draw power from its own transformer. You'd be surprised to know many Dac cheaps out on the USB part =p.

The Eximus DP1 for example, the analog stage uses its own power supply, but the USB input (also XMOS) draw 5V from the computer usb port.

Thanks for chiming in, yep, unfortunately that's the problem with most USB DACs today, I really hope X-Sabre is different but pretty sure from what I've read on computer audiophile it's not.
frown.gif

May 31, 2013 at 9:26 PM Post #567 of 1,273
Quote:

Not good...

May 31, 2013 at 9:46 PM Post #568 of 1,273
On the bright side, it allows...  power supplies/battery rolling if the design is not to your liking 
tongue_smile.gif

Most people didn't care where the XMOS get power from before iFi started touting their clean powaaaaa ads for the ifi usb anyway.

May 31, 2013 at 10:26 PM Post #569 of 1,273
Chiming in on the USB power subject - as far as I can tell the X-Sabre gets power from USB, just like most other DACs. Plenty of well-regarded USB to SPDIF converters do as well: Audiophilleo (without PurePower add-on), Stello U3, Resonessence Labs Concero, and others. Yes, some of the more expensive ones like Berkeley Alpha USB and Bel Canto Ref Link use their own power, but then again those cost more than the entire X-Sabre. 

Personally I don't see it as a major problem. It's definitely one of those "last few inches" type of performance areas. The Anedio D2 USB input draws power from the USB line and sounds freakin amazing regardless. I suppose it could be an issue if your system has major noise issues though. Personally I'd say throw in a SOtM USB card or use the Vaunix USB isolator and call it a day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back