Matrix X-Sabre DAC review and impression thread
Mar 15, 2013 at 10:25 AM Post #302 of 1,273
I'm willing to chalk up a lot of things to meet conditions, but this isn't one of them.  It simply sounded off.  It was grainy, thin, and had a digital stepped sound on shimmers and decay.  Once we swapped the sources, there was an instant improvement that really let the LL2->009 sound much better.  

I was ready for someone to pop it open and reveal that a Odac was inside to see if we all loved it just because it had a PWD logo on it. 

But since it was probably the firmware issue that has already been brought up, we can move on.  It's not a meet issue, it's a PWD that did not sound like it should issue.

Mar 15, 2013 at 10:46 AM Post #304 of 1,273
Quote:
You miss my point I see.  Because of being in a meet you was unable to sit down and play with the PWD's firmwares and filters as one would at home..  To get the proper fit.

Fair enough.  We've gotten off track though, my original point was that we shouldn't be comparing our negative experience with the PWD to the xsabre.  

Mar 15, 2013 at 10:50 AM Post #305 of 1,273
TWIFOSP, make that four of us. PWD's weren't doing it for me either. I also briefly owned the PS NuWave and, it too, had some unusual characteristics which were seconded by others who demoed it at my place.

Needless to say I'm done with the current lineup of PS Audio DAC's for headphone use... but they might be more ideally suited for loudspeakers. I think the NuWave would have worked great with my CX5 monitors... just didn't try it.

Mar 15, 2013 at 11:42 AM Post #306 of 1,273
Quote:
TWIFOSP, make that four of us. PWD's weren't doing it for me either. I also briefly owned the PS NuWave and, it too, had some unusual characteristics which were seconded by others who demoed it at my place.

Needless to say I'm done with the current lineup of PS Audio DAC's for headphone use... but they might be more ideally suited for loudspeakers. I think the NuWave would have worked great with my CX5 monitors... just didn't try it.

It's fiiiiineee :) Geez :) 

Well, you're always more than welcome to try it with your monitors. Just send me a text message and I'll bring it over :) 

Mar 15, 2013 at 1:36 PM Post #308 of 1,273
Quote:
It's fiiiiineee :) Geez :) 

Well, you're always more than welcome to try it with your monitors. Just send me a text message and I'll bring it over :) 

Could be fun. See? I don't have an agenda. 
biggrin.gif
  Just because PS Audio doesn't play nice in my headphone world, doesn't mean it can't sound good on my speakers. I'd be willing to give it a go.

Real world example: My Concero is lovely with my headphone setup, but I don't really like it with my speakers. *GASP* THE HORROR! THE INCONSISTENCY! 
tongue.gif

Yep... "everything matters"!

Can you make it Sunday evening around 7pm? Mini-meet already going on. :)

Mar 15, 2013 at 1:52 PM Post #310 of 1,273
Quote:
Whats this about a mini?
smily_headphones1.gif

Jazz, Hideous, and Landman coming over for a quick listen & tube swap (Brimar 5R4GY and EML 5U4G... also a Bendix 6016). Prolly not worth the six-hour roundtrip for ya. BUT next Dallas meet we should have a Taboo MKIII on hand. Which we could pair with my CSP+ just for fun... muah hah hah.

Mar 15, 2013 at 2:15 PM Post #311 of 1,273
Quote:
You miss my point I see.  Because of being in a meet you was unable to sit down and play with the PWD's firmwares and filters as one would at home..  To get the proper fit.

Maybe its me..but i dont like to mess bout filters and so on..i just need a component that sounds good without any alterations..

.i am now going to let someone make me a custommade dac/amp..only in will be usb..only out will be double 3pin xlr..only thing on frontside will be a volume knob..not even an on-off switch...if we agree on pricing that is..didnt get price yet..
biggrin.gif

so no worries bout anything..just keep it on power and smile because of the music..but hey..i am called crazy..so no need to listen to me

Mar 15, 2013 at 2:15 PM Post #312 of 1,273
Cool, yeah I will wait til the meet. Looking forward to hearing that new Taboo. Always willing to head down for anything as long as it is a Sunday. Don't usually have plans that would interfere.

Mar 15, 2013 at 3:12 PM Post #313 of 1,273
Quote:
Maybe its me..but i dont like to mess bout filters and so on..i just need a component that sounds good without any alterations..

.i am now going to let someone make me a custommade dac/amp..only in will be usb..only out will be double 3pin xlr..only thing on frontside will be a volume knob..not even an on-off switch...if we agree on pricing that is..didnt get price yet..
biggrin.gif

so no worries bout anything..just keep it on power and smile because of the music..but hey..i am called crazy..so no need to listen to me

And what DAC would that be?

Mar 15, 2013 at 4:18 PM Post #314 of 1,273
Quote:

And what DAC would that be?

It will be a custommade Blue Circle (blue circle audio in canada) bc509 dac on my specific demands as mentioned above and in the enclosure of that dac they will include a high quality headphone amp..with external HUGE powersupply.

All their products are handmade and handtested and most of them very expensive.. Mine will be probably one of their more affordable creation...And they are using specs to be able to drive a he500 or even a he6 easily.am anxiously awaiting their price for it..i understand they are one of the few companies who swear on analog sounding components..am really curious...not a lot of people know theirproducts. Maybe i can start a new hype?
biggrin.gif

Mar 15, 2013 at 5:29 PM Post #315 of 1,273
From their product page:

" The power supply a.k.a. fuel tank, is of the latest Blue Circle "IAOE" design. The BC509 has a power supply filtering capacitance over 200,000uF. That is more than most 100 watt stereo power amps. This will ensure a very stable power supply, however for the ultimate goal of a silent running power supply, the BC507BA has a 1,000,000uF (1 million micro Farad) additional battery power supply."

1 million uf. That's A LOT. That's more than what can be found inside of the finest power amps. Does that much even make sense?
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back