Matrix X-Sabre DAC review and impression thread
Mar 9, 2013 at 1:15 PM Post #226 of 1,273
Quote:
How much has this thing got resemblance to the Benchmark DAC2, aren't they using a similar chip and quad stereo configuration? The CNC machined enclosure looks lovely.

Haven't heard the DAC2 yet but there are definitely similarities and also some differences. For example, the DAC2 uses ASRC for the SPDIF inputs but not USB. So that may cause a difference, especially if using a high end USB to SPDIF converter. 

Mar 11, 2013 at 4:04 AM Post #227 of 1,273
Anybody know if both the balanced and SE outputs are active all the time? I would like to be able to feed the signal to my speakers and headphones at the same time. Doesn't seem like you can select the output, only input. 

Thanks

Mar 11, 2013 at 4:13 AM Post #228 of 1,273
Should both be active. I didn't try it. Perhaps project86 can try it since mine is not with me at present.

Mar 11, 2013 at 1:07 PM Post #230 of 1,273
Quote:
I believe both are active at all times. I'll double check when I get a chance and update if that's not the case, but I seem to remember that it is. 

Thanks. I was so close to getting the w4s dac2. but at this price, it'd be a no brainer for me assuming I'm able to feed the X-Sabre to my headphone and speakers at the same time

Mar 11, 2013 at 6:25 PM Post #232 of 1,273
Go to the Matrix USA site and contact Arthur about both questions.

Mar 11, 2013 at 6:41 PM Post #233 of 1,273
I pre-ordered last week. When I emailed Arthur last Thursday or so, he said the unit would likely be shipped in "about one week" -- so hopefully by the end of this week.

I've already been billed before the unit has shipped, so that answers your second question.

Mar 11, 2013 at 8:30 PM Post #235 of 1,273
Mike should receive it tomorrow so hopefully some comments by this weekend.

Mar 12, 2013 at 1:13 AM Post #236 of 1,273
The fit and finish on this looks remarkable.

Mar 12, 2013 at 1:16 AM Post #237 of 1,273
Waiting with bated breath to hear comparisons. I'm willing to ditch the TEAC and keep this at home and the DAC2 at work.

Mar 12, 2013 at 6:59 AM Post #238 of 1,273
Quote:
Might pull the trigger on these when Marv gets Max's unit in for some impressions. :)

+1
popcorn.gif

Mar 12, 2013 at 12:22 PM Post #239 of 1,273
I only wanna know 1 thing..is it musical or anatical?and i dont mean digital sounding...i already know its not harsch sounding...i want a more analog sound..am considering a blue circle 509 dac..or even a headphone amp inside that enclosure..all their products are handmade and from what i know they have one of the most natural sounding components around..so.....
is the matrix natural/analog sounding?i know its excellent in geting al the details out..and i know its a wonderfull dac..

Mar 12, 2013 at 12:33 PM Post #240 of 1,273
Quote:
I only wanna know 1 thing..is it musical or anatical?and i dont mean digital sounding...i already know its not harsch sounding...i want a more analog sound..am considering a blue circle 509 dac..or even a headphone amp inside that enclosure..all their products are handmade and from what i know they have one of the most natural sounding components around..so.....
is the matrix natural/analog sounding?i know its excellent in geting al the details out..and i know its a wonderfull dac..

Unquantifiable terms that don't mean anything in the context of D/A conversion. If by analytical you mean accurate (correct) D/A conversion, then I guess yes, it's mostly very analytical. Musical is the third word in "High School Musical".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back