Matrix X-Sabre DAC review and impression thread
Apr 21, 2016 at 9:25 AM Post #1,186 of 1,273
Still loving mine, it's far down the list of eventual upgrade/replacements for me.

Apr 22, 2016 at 7:35 PM Post #1,187 of 1,273
I'm still using mine and loving it. No desire to change anytime soon as there's nothing the X-Sabre can't do at a great level. The only thing I'd let go of the X-Sabre for would be to try a multi-bit Schiit DAC

Thank you. I too am loving mine. It's smooth yet very well separated. Like professional audio yet still musical enough to enjoy.

I too wish to try the Schiit Yggdrasil. First I was looking into the Audio-GD NFB-7 as a step up ES9018 Sabre upgrade but now rereading Yggdrasil, it sounds like a no brain-er. I wonder how it compares to the X-Sabre. Have you or anyone you know demo'd it?

X-Sabre is still a very viable and solid design. No reason to upgrade for many users as it does everything they want it to do, and sounds great in the process.

There's a new version in the works but I don't know how long it will take or if there will be key improvements enough to justify a switch for current owners. We will see.

Thank you. It really is a well compact performer indeed. Very excited to hear. Definitely can't wait for new products from Matrix Audio.

On a last note, have you given the Schiit Yggdrasil a listen?
I'm slightly scared of my recent idea of changing my X-Sabre/AMB Beta 22 Balanced into a Yggdrasil/Ragnarok stack.
It's hard to make such a jump especially when the gear is exceedingly expensive which is why I asked the previous question.

May 2, 2016 at 11:22 AM Post #1,188 of 1,273
I've tweaked my USB cable as per the instructions above and can confirm it works fine with the X-SABRE. I have also tried to disconnect the shielding / braid of the cable at the computer end (i.e. at the USB-A connector) and found that it can be done and things work as normal apart from one thing - in order for the "handshake" between the computer (MacbookPro) and the X-Sabre to happen the braid must be connected, after that it can be disconnected (to prevent potential ground loops).

The cable I have modified was a decent quality (£30-ish) 1.5m long USB 2 cable. Using a stanley knife I cut through the connector shell at the USB-A side at the computer side and got rid of it completely. Then I took the innards apart, broke off the two outer pins (pin 1 and 4), reassembled it making sure that the outer conductive case is gripping the braid. The connector was fairly rigid on its own without the outer plastic shell so I only used black electrical insulating tape to hold it secured. Another option would be using a shrink wrap or perhaps encasing the connector in a resin putty. 

Could you explain more about the "handshake"? I removed 2 pins and the cable worked well. After that I cut the part of shield braid that contacts the metal shell of the usb port to avoid possible ground loops. Then no sound came out at all.

May 2, 2016 at 5:17 PM Post #1,189 of 1,273
When you first connect a USB device to a computer, there is a process (handshake) where the communication is tested to confirm compatibility. This process uses the shield as well as the conductors in the cable so you would need to manually connect the shields at both ends during he initial power up of your DAC until the computer recognises it.

That said, disconnecting the shielding is a really bad idea. USB cables are susceptible to all sorts of noise and the shield is there to prevent that from getting to the signal cables. Removing / disconnecting it will just increase the chances of getting jitter.

May 11, 2016 at 3:15 PM Post #1,192 of 1,273
  Has anyone use Intona USB Isolator with X Sabre (i.e AudioPC - USB Cable - Intona - USB cable - X Sabre)? Do you find Intona improve something?
http://intona.eu/en/products

You shouldn't need it!  The X-Sabre's USB input is already galvanically isolated.

May 12, 2016 at 2:19 AM Post #1,193 of 1,273
Hi all, has anyone heard the Meridian Prime acting as a DAC? I'm contemplating selling some gear (including the X-Sabre) to simplify my system, but I would only do it if the Prime is as good or better than the X-Sabre. Given the price, you'd hope it's even better, but that's not always a safe assumption...

Aug 12, 2016 at 5:43 AM Post #1,197 of 1,273
  X-Sabre is still a very viable and solid design. No reason to upgrade for many users as it does everything they want it to do, and sounds great in the process.

There's a new version in the works but I don't know how long it will take or if there will be key improvements enough to justify a switch for current owners. We will see.

X-Sabre is almost the best for Value. only few DACs that i would count as a real upgrade (regardless the value) one of them is the Hugo TT. its a huge upgrade in every department. but ofc the price, this is why i said the X-Sabre is the best for value.

Audio GD have a good dac and cheaper than Hugo TT that would make a good upgrade for value from X-Sabre. 

the bass texture, musicality and Treble and details all get to a next level when paired with one of those, coming from X-Sabre. 

still if anyone is happy and don't want to upgrade (in this hobby a lot seek the small-medium upgrades) then no need to upgrade. its about preference or needs and hobby enthusiasm that decide what we want :p  

i really had a good time with this DAC ^^ 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back