Matrix X-Sabre DAC review and impression thread
Jul 16, 2015 at 2:14 AM Post #1,141 of 1,273
Don't want to fall into cable fever and spend kilobucks on it. Will provide an upgrade step by step. As interconnects Kimber cable PBJ is on my radar for now.

Already recieved V200 amp, it's superb :cool: and it's... single ended, but has xlr inputs. So i plan to connect V amp balanced with x sabre to get extra 6.3 voltage, that should be good for driving my HE500s without any gain jumpers.
Did you guys, noticed any sonic difference betwenn XLR and RCA output of x sabre? Or it's all just about the power?

Jul 16, 2015 at 2:36 AM Post #1,142 of 1,273
Good cable Is important. I had Basic kimber tonik balanced and now Harmonic silway. The difference is not like a sky and earth but noticeable micro dynamics and nuances.

Higher voltage means higher current to drive your cans. RCA will sound good but the maximum of resolution and punch you will get using balanced connection.

Power supply is the key also. Good cables (bot gold or silver) but some advanced copper giver more dynamics. Also avoid cheap filters which limits current consumption.

Jul 16, 2015 at 10:18 AM Post #1,143 of 1,273
Don't want to fall into cable fever and spend kilobucks on it. Will provide an upgrade step by step. As interconnects Kimber cable PBJ is on my radar for now.

Already recieved V200 amp, it's superb
cool.gif
and it's... single ended, but has xlr inputs. So i plan to connect V amp balanced with x sabre to get extra 6.3 voltage, that should be good for driving my HE500s without any gain jumpers.
Did you guys, noticed any sonic difference betwenn XLR and RCA output of x sabre? Or it's all just about the power?

The fact that you connect your x-sabre to the v200 with balanced cables has nothing to do  with the ultimate maximum output of the amp.  Either XLR or single ended will drive the amp to its maximum.  And actually if you want to use the upper part of the gain control with the stock gain setting then the single ended lower voltage makes that possible.

Is there a sonic difference between xlr and se cables, yes in my system, but it may have more to do with the cable material than the fact that one is se and one balanced.

Jul 17, 2015 at 3:12 AM Post #1,144 of 1,273
  The fact that you connect your x-sabre to the v200 with balanced cables has nothing to do  with the ultimate maximum output of the amp.  Either XLR or single ended will drive the amp to its maximum.  And actually if you want to use the upper part of the gain control with the stock gain setting then the single ended lower voltage makes that possible.

Is there a sonic difference between xlr and se cables, yes in my system, but it may have more to do with the cable material than the fact that one is se and one balanced.

Oh... Well it's a good news. Cuz rca cables are cheaper. In fact, when i'm running v200 from rca outs of my dvd player. With 6db gain i can't push volume knobe further than half it's way, cuz it turns my cans into sound blast gun.
But with notebook jack i have to use 12db gain jumpers.

Jul 17, 2015 at 3:17 AM Post #1,145 of 1,273

Already recieved V200 amp, it's superb
cool.gif
and it's... single ended, but has xlr inputs. So i plan to connect V amp balanced with x sabre to get extra 6.3 voltage, that should be good for driving my HE500s without any gain jumpers.

From my experience it depends a lot also on the amplifier.
On my Hegel H160 I tried same cable same DAC XLR vs RCA and XLR sounded much better, more dynamic and detailed. 

I would suggest doing the same with the X-Sabre and V200. 

Jul 18, 2015 at 3:22 PM Post #1,146 of 1,273
Gents, can anybody advise a good dac at least with the same sound quality as matrix x-sabre but with preamp (regulated volume). The reason im considering get another dac is upgrading from integrated amp to power amp and now i can manage volume using pc and i beleive its not a good way. Also i need to have optical input as well as AES and balanced outputs.

Contenders are Atoll dac 200, wadia di122, nad m51.. Mb there are another Chinese stars?

Jul 18, 2015 at 5:43 PM Post #1,147 of 1,273
Gents, can anybody advise a good dac at least with the same sound quality as matrix x-sabre but with preamp (regulated volume). The reason im considering get another dac is upgrading from integrated amp to power amp and now i can manage volume using pc and i beleive its not a good way. Also i need to have optical input as well as AES and balanced outputs.

Contenders are Atoll dac 200, wadia di122, nad m51.. Mb there are another Chinese stars?

I had Audio-GD NFB-28 (2014) before getting the Matrix, and they sound close to each other. The Matrix is a bit more refined, good synergy with HD800, and has a better USB implementation (XMOS vs. VIA). The new Audio-GD NFB-28 (2015) now has an option for Amanero USB, which should be a nice step up from VIA. Featurewise, the NFB-28 gives you a preamp with volume control and a headamp.

Jul 21, 2015 at 5:07 PM Post #1,150 of 1,273
Look at its spec's. And you can to ask Yulong guys directly. Those speak English well, and I found them simple to communicate with.
By the way, I'm going to order that DAC tomorrow. I hope it should to arrive within 7-10 days, and I'll be able to tell you how it performing exactly.
Another alternative - ask the current owners. There is a thread  here. http://www.head-fi.org/t/673033/review-yulong-audio-sabre-da8-reference-dac

Jul 22, 2015 at 2:26 PM Post #1,151 of 1,273
I currently have the Matrix mini-i pro. I just love this dac.

Is it worth it to upgrade to the X-sabre?

Last weekend i did borrow an Hegel HD12 from our local hifi shop and to my surprise it was not able to compet with my matrix mini i pro.
We tested the HD12 for hours and then we hooked up the Matrix. We where shocked how much better the Mini sounded.

Has anyone compared the X-sabre vs Matrix Mini-i pro

Jul 22, 2015 at 2:36 PM Post #1,152 of 1,273

Last weekend i did borrow an Hegel HD12 from our local hifi shop and to my surprise it wan not able to compet with my matrix mini i pro.
We tested the the HD12 for hours and then we hooked up the Matrix. We where shocked how much better the Mini sounded.

Maxvla said this in comparison to the mini-i pro

"There is no question the X-Sabre is on another level of performance."

review with comparisons is here: http://www.head-fi.org/products/matrix-mini-i-2014/reviews/10549

Jul 22, 2015 at 2:42 PM Post #1,153 of 1,273

Last weekend i did borrow an Hegel HD12 from our local hifi shop and to my surprise it wan not able to compet with my matrix mini i pro.
We tested the the HD12 for hours and then we hooked up the Matrix. We where shocked how much better the Mini sounded.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back