Matrix X-Sabre DAC review and impression thread
Jun 10, 2015 at 2:48 AM Post #1,127 of 1,273
No trades with audiogd anymore.

Now i'm ripping between matrix and yulong. Seems, that they have similar sound signature, so i decidet to chose one, which will be more stable in use, without driver issues, BSOD's, device reboots or else. Heard that DA8 can be very haemorrhoids in this aspect. And what about X Sabre? I need Indestructible tank

Jun 10, 2015 at 9:54 AM Post #1,128 of 1,273
Seems, that they have similar sound signature.

i don't know were did you read that but allow me to correct you based on the fact that i had both products before, Yulong MK II or something and the X-Sabre

the X-Sabre is more detailed and not on the warm side like thee yulong, i won't ever say or call them same sig at all, people can still say both are neutral , but if you don't mind the hint of warmth then go  with the yulong,  the warmth on the X-Sabre is the kind of dry warmth, if you don't mind that then go with the X-Sabre ,

i still think the X-Sabre is more detailed than most of the dacs with in the same price tag. 

Jun 10, 2015 at 11:04 AM Post #1,129 of 1,273
No trades with audiogd anymore.

Now i'm ripping between matrix and yulong. Seems, that they have similar sound signature, so i decidet to chose one, which will be more stable in use, without driver issues, BSOD's, device reboots or else. Heard that DA8 can be very haemorrhoids in this aspect. And what about X Sabre? I need Indestructible tank

the Matrix is rock solid, but I am using with a Mac, and most dacs are rock solid when no special drivers are needed.

Jun 10, 2015 at 2:49 PM Post #1,130 of 1,273
i don't know were did you read that but allow me to correct you based on the fact that i had both products before, Yulong MK II or something and the X-Sabre

the X-Sabre is more detailed and not on the warm side like thee yulong, i won't ever say or call them same sig at all, people can still say both are neutral , but if you don't mind the hint of warmth then go  with the yulong,  the warmth on the X-Sabre is the kind of dry warmth, if you don't mind that then go with the X-Sabre ,

i still think the X-Sabre is more detailed than most of the dacs with in the same price tag. 

Hear the oposite view on another forum. That x sabre is alomst surupy, yulong- more revealing. And booth are kinda forgiving to poor material, relatively to other sabres.

the Matrix is rock solid, but I am using with a Mac, and most dacs are rock solid when no special drivers are needed.

I'm windows user. So already used for dances with holly bible, while instaling new device, but year to year it became more and more annoying.

Jun 14, 2015 at 9:03 PM Post #1,131 of 1,273
I'm having a hard time figuring this out.  Has the X-Sabre ever had a hardware upgrade, like a gen 1 and gen 2?  I've read here that after an update, Apple devices could connect.  Was that hardware or firmware?

This DAC is a few years old so I wouldn't be shocked one way or the other...

Jun 14, 2015 at 9:17 PM Post #1,132 of 1,273
I think it's only had firmware updates, but that can make a huge difference, I tried to get one for about 4 months but could not get my hands on a unit, I guess the manufacturer was having a hard time with the chassis maker which caused delays for nearly 5 months. I gave up on the x sabre and went for the puredac instead very glad I do..

Jun 14, 2015 at 10:12 PM Post #1,133 of 1,273
  I'm having a hard time figuring this out.  Has the X-Sabre ever had a hardware upgrade, like a gen 1 and gen 2?  I've read here that after an update, Apple devices could connect.  Was that hardware or firmware?

This DAC is a few years old so I wouldn't be shocked one way or the other...

NO hardware upgrade has ever been made to my knowledge, and apple computers could always connect, they need no special drivers.  What you and other people may be confused about is a driver update for windows since Windows needs drivers to support higher resolution file playback. And a firmware update was made (no hardware change) to enable the following:

Updates
1. Support iphone and ipad,can play the PCM and DSD signal via the
apple Camera kit.
2. upgrade the response speed when play music via USBinterface.
3. Eliminate the popping sound when playing the high sample rate files.

Their version of syntax, not mine

Jun 15, 2015 at 10:32 AM Post #1,134 of 1,273
I wonder if Matrix has plans for an amp to aesthetically and sonically complement the X-Sabre.

Jun 19, 2015 at 6:15 PM Post #1,135 of 1,273
  I wonder if Matrix has plans for an amp to aesthetically and sonically complement the X-Sabre.

Get Gustard H10. Its  a huge value for the money. Against Matrix Quattro a big step forward. 

Jul 9, 2015 at 2:42 AM Post #1,136 of 1,273
No more yulong, only matrix left in my wishlist :)

So guys, did someone heard xSabre+ violectric v200 combo? In my thoughts, violectric can tame that bit of glare on a treble, and solve most annoying problem, which all (almost all?) sabre based dacs have.

I'm in several days of getting V amp, and seriously thinking of X dac as an end game.

Thanks

Jul 9, 2015 at 3:24 AM Post #1,137 of 1,273
Im using x-sabre with gustard h10 which is known to be a brother of v200. I think that you will like it as an ultimate moderately priced and value for money solution. Just be sure to buy good cables to power and interconnect to use it full potential.

Jul 9, 2015 at 11:47 AM Post #1,138 of 1,273
No more yulong, only matrix left in my wishlist
smily_headphones1.gif

So guys, did someone heard xSabre+ violectric v200 combo? In my thoughts, violectric can tame that bit of glare on a treble, and solve most annoying problem, which all (almost all?) sabre based dacs have.

I'm in several days of getting V amp, and seriously thinking of X dac as an end game.

Thanks

I use the Lake People G109S with the x-Sabre.  While I do not feel the 109S is as rich as the V200, it works very well with the Matrix.  No noticeable glare at all.  In fact when I put the Schiit Gungnir into my system, I ultimately preferred the Matrix.

Im using x-sabre with gustard h10 which is known to be a brother of v200. I think that you will like it as an ultimate moderately priced and value for money solution. Just be sure to buy good cables to power and interconnect to use it full potential.

Good suggestions from Gibalok on the dac.   Also I use a bespoke USB cable that has no power leg.  Very good results with black background, smooth articulate highs and tremendous space.

Jul 9, 2015 at 3:49 PM Post #1,139 of 1,273
Gibalok
bixby

Thank you. There's left no doubts about the dac now .
Power cords and interconnects will be another horror story for my wallet. At least i have Tellurium q blue usb- it's a good start.

Jul 10, 2015 at 8:24 AM Post #1,140 of 1,273
Gibalok
bixby

Thank you. There's left no doubts about the dac now .
Power cords and interconnects will be another horror story for my wallet. At least i have Tellurium q blue usb- it's a good start.

I have Oyaide Tunami GPX both for DAC and AMP and very good Harmonic Technology Pro Silway MkIII+ balanced interconnect (balanced is the key for matrix and H10) and Acrotec AES/EBU 200$ cable (from U12 converter). Feeding with fast and enough power is crytical for AMP and DAC...  The sound seems came from the paradise :) So Rich, Smooth and Punchy.

And another enhancer (just fo free):  Now it is a at least 1 week a dont turn my system off. And it is always warm. And I must say that it is a least 30% to 50% performance up comparing to what if you give your DAC/AMP to warm standard 30 min. Thats just incredible!!! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back