Matrix X-Sabre DAC review and impression thread
Mar 7, 2015 at 9:28 PM Post #1,111 of 1,273
Ya I'll likely jump on it for that price 
smile.gif

I just finished reading this review http://digitalaudiodirections.blogspot.com/2014/06/matrixx-sabre-dac-review-stunning-gem.html

He mentions that the power to the usb port is fed directly from the x-sabre instead of pulling the 5v from the computer, he then tried a usb cable that has data transfer only and was met with wonderful results.

Has anyone else tried this ??

"As good as the X-Sabre sounds with its USB input, the biggest surprise for me was when I confirmed with Arthur Power that the Matrix X-Sabre dac runs the USB circuits from its own power supply and does not need the dirty 5 volts coming from your computer. I have always believed and confirmed with my own ears that USB cables make a difference with USB dacs. My value USB cable of choice is the Wireworld Starlight which keeps its power leg spaced more away from the data and ground lines and for about $100 was found to be a good overall cable in my system. Knowing that the X-Sabre dac can use a powerless USB connection led me to take an old $5 USB cable and cut the power leg near the computer end of the cable. After insulating the exposed red wire with electrical tape I set out to listen to it vs the Wireworld. The sound was crazy good and better in about all areas than the Wireworld. The black background got quieter, and things in the midrange just leapt forward with startling immediacy. I never thought there could be such a big difference. I never knew what the 5 volts was bringing to the dac since it sounds very good with the powered USB but quite a bit better without the pollution. I had a friend make a cable that all my local geek friends were raving about and true too form it was outstanding. Blew the home made cable out of the water (that's audiophile hyperbole but true) and made the X-Sabre shine like never before. When you own the X-Sabre you have to get a cable without the power, the sound is sublime."

Mar 7, 2015 at 9:43 PM Post #1,112 of 1,273
I'm in full agreeance with you that a good usb cable makes a world of a difference, and am glad to hear the x sabre is a good sounding dac. 

Mar 7, 2015 at 10:24 PM Post #1,113 of 1,273
Ya I'll likely jump on it for that price :smile:

I just finished reading this review http://digitalaudiodirections.blogspot.com/2014/06/matrixx-sabre-dac-review-stunning-gem.html

He mentions that the power to the usb port is fed directly from the x-sabre instead of pulling the 5v from the computer, he then tried a usb cable that has data transfer only and was met with wonderful results.

Yes, I run my X-Sabre with power and ground lines disconnected on the USB cable (the connector side that plugs in the computer). Works flawlessly. No special USB cable required, just xacto knife and a little electrical tape. :)

Mar 11, 2015 at 11:20 PM Post #1,114 of 1,273
Yes, I run my X-Sabre with power and ground lines disconnected on the USB cable (the connector side that plugs in the computer). Works flawlessly. No special USB cable required, just xacto knife and a little electrical tape.
smily_headphones1.gif

Would you mind explaining just how that's done thanks much..

Mar 12, 2015 at 12:42 AM Post #1,115 of 1,273
Yes, I run my X-Sabre with power and ground lines disconnected on the USB cable (the connector side that plugs in the computer). Works flawlessly. No special USB cable required, just xacto knife and a little electrical tape. :)

Would you mind explaining just how that's done thanks much..

USB cable has four wires: two for data, one for ground, and one for +5V power. Some DACs like X-Sabre and Audio-GD use just the data lines, so you can lift the ground and 5V wires on your USB cable (the outermost pins on USB Type-A connector). You can cover those outermost pins with electrical tape (very carefully, not to cover the data pins), or just break the pins with X-Acto knife (move the pin up and down a dozen times or so and it should break). Experiment with a throwaway USB cable first. Also, you might want to leave the ground pin as-is for safety reasons.

Mar 15, 2015 at 4:01 PM Post #1,117 of 1,273
I've tweaked my USB cable as per the instructions above and can confirm it works fine with the X-SABRE. I have also tried to disconnect the shielding / braid of the cable at the computer end (i.e. at the USB-A connector) and found that it can be done and things work as normal apart from one thing - in order for the "handshake" between the computer (MacbookPro) and the X-Sabre to happen the braid must be connected, after that it can be disconnected (to prevent potential ground loops).

The cable I have modified was a decent quality (£30-ish) 1.5m long USB 2 cable. Using a stanley knife I cut through the connector shell at the USB-A side at the computer side and got rid of it completely. Then I took the innards apart, broke off the two outer pins (pin 1 and 4), reassembled it making sure that the outer conductive case is gripping the braid. The connector was fairly rigid on its own without the outer plastic shell so I only used black electrical insulating tape to hold it secured. Another option would be using a shrink wrap or perhaps encasing the connector in a resin putty. 

Mar 24, 2015 at 12:16 AM Post #1,118 of 1,273
I am about to attempt this on a throw away usb cable, is it recommended to keep the ground line connected or should that not be an issue since the x-sabre is not powered by the usb cable ?

Mar 24, 2015 at 12:41 AM Post #1,119 of 1,273
  I am about to attempt this on a throw away usb cable, is it recommended to keep the ground line connected or should that not be an issue since the x-sabre is not powered by the usb cable ?

Everything I've read so far says it's a good idea to keep the ground, I have not as yet done this let us know how it goes..

Mar 24, 2015 at 3:04 AM Post #1,120 of 1,273

When I had the Xsabre I kept only data + and data - and covered the other pins with tape. Worked well. 
Do not expect huge differences though. 

Apr 29, 2015 at 1:00 PM Post #1,121 of 1,273
  Ya I'll likely jump on it for that price 
smile.gif

"As good as the X-Sabre sounds with its USB input, the biggest surprise for me was when I confirmed with Arthur Power that the Matrix X-Sabre dac runs the USB circuits from its own power supply and does not need the dirty 5 volts coming from your computer. I have always believed and confirmed with my own ears that USB cables make a difference with USB dacs. My value USB cable of choice is the Wireworld Starlight which keeps its power leg spaced more away from the data and ground lines and for about $100 was found to be a good overall cable in my system. Knowing that the X-Sabre dac can use a powerless USB connection led me to take an old $5 USB cable and cut the power leg near the computer end of the cable. After insulating the exposed red wire with electrical tape I set out to listen to it vs the Wireworld. The sound was crazy good and better in about all areas than the Wireworld. The black background got quieter, and things in the midrange just leapt forward with startling immediacy. I never thought there could be such a big difference. I never knew what the 5 volts was bringing to the dac since it sounds very good with the powered USB but quite a bit better without the pollution. I had a friend make a cable that all my local geek friends were raving about and true too form it was outstanding. Blew the home made cable out of the water (that's audiophile hyperbole but true) and made the X-Sabre shine like never before. When you own the X-Sabre you have to get a cable without the power, the sound is sublime."

FYI, the unpowered bespoke USB cable mentioned above sounds better than a WireWorld USB and Shiit Wyrd by comparison in my system.  FWIW.

Jun 2, 2015 at 3:08 AM Post #1,122 of 1,273
Guys. Can someone compare incomparable Matrix X sabre vs Arcam irDAC? X Sabre very smooth sounding dac as fo ess based device, but irDAC gives almost "analogue" sound. What of these two less harsh, less sibilant, more forgiving to poor records e.t.c.
What do you think?

Jun 2, 2015 at 3:39 AM Post #1,123 of 1,273
Guys. Can someone compare incomparable Matrix X sabre vs Arcam irDAC? X Sabre very smooth sounding dac as fo ess based device, but irDAC gives almost "analogue" sound. What of these two less harsh, less sibilant, more forgiving to poor records e.t.c.
What do you think?

I think the xsabre is much better in all ways, except with bright systems and poor recordings. 
I had both and dreaded the irDAC, the X-sabre was listenable. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back