Matrix X-Sabre DAC review and impression thread
Dec 17, 2014 at 7:51 AM Post #1,066 of 1,273
i already have the Wyrd, and i saw someone there who also have both, just sent him a message asking if its worth upgrading from the Wyrd

you think it is? since i have the Wyrd already, yet that XMOS chip man i know its way better technology so i might pull the trigger soon :p

Im not sure. I cant compare. So share info info on that when you have. But at least Gustard u12 supports Dsd and 196 khz and mb 384

Dec 17, 2014 at 7:59 AM Post #1,067 of 1,273
Im not sure. I cant compare. So share info info on that when you have. But at least Gustard u12 supports Dsd and 196 khz and mb 384

from the thread he mention that the Wyrd didn't make any difference for him with it or without it,

and the U12 made the leap of smoothness for him, and ofc no sacrificing from the dynamic side. 

i will will buy it for sure once i can, cant atm because i am getting Ragnarok amp :p 

Dec 17, 2014 at 10:12 AM Post #1,068 of 1,273
  from the thread he mention that the Wyrd didn't make any difference for him with it or without it,

and the U12 made the leap of smoothness for him, and ofc no sacrificing from the dynamic side. 

i will will buy it for sure once i can, cant atm because i am getting Ragnarok amp :p 

That's good news. If the DI-V2014 doesn't do that, I'll look into the U12.
I just got the Wyrd however, and it brought good merits - a slightly smoother and more dynamic sound, with slightly superior extension/decay.
Another head-fier also shared the same sentiments.
Now, I won't say this is universal because I am convinced this is because it lowered the noise floor of my schiity USB ports and cleared the power. So as a 'decrapifier', it will only be useful to anyone who has such problems [USB related - power, noise, hum, dirty, etc.]
If you don't, I wouldn't bother with it just because.... Again, this is just my case, it seems the Wyrd is not the solution to everybody's problems.

Dec 17, 2014 at 10:14 AM Post #1,069 of 1,273
  That's good news. If the DI-V2014 doesn't do that, I'll look into the U12.
I just got the Wyrd however, and it brought good merits - a slightly smoother and more dynamic sound, with slightly superior extension/decay.
Another head-fier also shared the same sentiments.
Now, I won't say this is universal because I am convinced this is because it lowered the noise floor of my schiity USB ports and cleared the power. So as a 'decrapifier', it will only be useful to anyone who has such problems [USB related - power, noise, hum, dirty, etc.]
If you don't, I wouldn't bother with it just because.... Again, this is just my case, it seems the Wyrd is not the solution to everybody's problems.

i dont have problems , i am just a head-fier who like to try new things, thats all ^^  its our hobby after ha? :p

Dec 19, 2014 at 4:10 PM Post #1,070 of 1,273
  Just received my X-Sabre. Holy crap this thing is heavy. Built like a complete tank. It didn't come with a power cord though, no wires at all. Just the unit, a flash drive, and a user manual. Really no power cord???

Not all that unusual these days. I have tons of extras laying around.

I know this thread is older, but I've gotten used to that, now. Since so many of them are international, they don't want to ship with a zillion different power cables. Now, it's easier when we upgrade to just unplug the old component and plug in the new component. 
wink.gif

Dec 19, 2014 at 6:10 PM Post #1,073 of 1,273
Wow, nice pieces of equipment.

What interconnect and power cable do you use?

Dec 19, 2014 at 10:56 PM Post #1,077 of 1,273
  My brief, short, simple impressions after spending a couple weeks with the X-Sabre:

Sonically:
I find the X-Sabre polite and tame. I believe it presents the music as is without adding or subtracting anything. Nothing seems odd. Certainly isn't shouty or fatiguing. I can't really comment on the characteristics of the DAC in terms of FR and details such as resolution, imaging, etc. because I really have no reference point, nor do I have another DAC beside it to compare at this time.

vs. W4S DAC2
At first listen, the W4S sounded more appealing with the HD800 and Stratus. Vocals were more forward, and the overall sound was engaging. Then the fatigue kicked in, and the fact that the DAC2 is a bit top tilted didn't help either. Voices were shouty. Oh God Norah Jones was stabbing my ears.
The X-Sabre in comparison was more laid back, and a bit less engaging. However, I think it'd be safe to say the X-Sabre is more neutral than the DAC2. Vocals weren't as prominent as the DAC2 was but I'd take more laid back than fatigue. 

vs. Gungnir
The entire reason why I sold the Gungnir was because it sounded shouty and hurt my ears alot. Norah Jones would destroy my soul every time I'd listen to her...
X-Sabre? Absolutely no fatigue due to vocals. None. Nada. Don't Know Why sounds so sweet and lush, there's no excess grain and it sounds balanced overall. I am using the Mjolnir and LCD3, just like I did with the Gungnir.
Switching to the HD800, still no shoutiness, no fatigue, no ear bleeding. I'm loving this.
I think the FR signature of the two DACs are quite similar: not bright, nor dark. HD800 sibilance quantity seems to be the same with the Gungnir and X-Sabre. 
Piano sounds normal on HD800 but sounds a little bit slow with the LCD3, though the effortlessness and openness is great vs. the Gungnir. Someone somewhere said the Gungnir sounded tense. I 100% concur with this description, and the X-Sabre offers a relief of tension.

w/ Mjo:
LCD3 sounds incredible, maybe a teenie bit slower than HD800 which wasn't a trait in the other DACs (maybe due to less shout?), but sounds sweet and balanced, nothing added, nothing subtracted. If I didn't sell my Mjolnir, and if I didn't buy the HD800, I'd end game here, no joke.

w/ DNA Stratus:
LCD3 sounds terrific, but the bottom end is a bit bloated thanks to the tubey goodness, and a tad slow. I think this is because the X-Sabre is more neutral with no added treble and more laid-back, causing the natural characteristic of the Stratus and its tubes to be betrayed. Vocals are oh so sweet, and the dynamics and imaging is wonderful, although I keep thinking the soundstage sounds like a V where there would be missing space at the widest points but deeper into the sound. However, it's not as bad as it reads; it just gives me a "feeling" but it's not cut in stone. I think a lot of it is because of the recording quality. I just wanted to put it out there. 
Lots of sub bass. HD800 was almost as sweet, lush, and thick as the LCD3 without as much sub bass, but had better impact. Again, no vocal fatigue thanks to the X-Sabre.
I think the Stratus would benefit more with a more forward and top tilted DAC like the W4S. I don't want to extrapolate and hastily generalize tube amps, but at this time I'd like to suggest that the X-Sabre will suit an SS amp or an SS sounding tube amp like the Super7, better than tubey sounding amps like the Stratus and Woo amps in general. Now this is before rolling tubes, so keep that in mind.

Physical qualities:
The X-Sabre is built like a tank. I was just astonished at the build quality. Super hefty and feels solid as a rock. Great and effective feet. Simplistic, humble design, nothing flashy. Nice clean white LEDs and easy to read and interpret labels. Two switches that are obvious to operate; great quality, no looseness. It does attract lots of fingerprints but they're easily wiped off with a cloth.
I just wish it had toslink optical input!

Please take my impressions with a bag of salt, I'm not nearly as experienced enough to write like six moons, nor do I have golden ears. I'm just your average Head-fier with a sense of reality and an open mind, who likes to listen to all genres but death metal and heavy rap.

Nice write-up, thanks! I'm looking for neutral. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 19, 2014 at 11:23 PM Post #1,078 of 1,273

I'm pretty positive I can tell the difference between any two DACs when I'm laying in bed, lights off, no ambiant noise. Yet, I have a hard time actually A/B 2 DACs of same "class" because those listening conditions are not met (eyes opened, actively switching between the 2 DACs).

I often close my eyes at symphonic concerts to minimize distractions. I always hope people don't think I'm sleeping, but it helps me enjoy the music.

Dec 20, 2014 at 9:13 AM Post #1,080 of 1,273
Hey guys i got my Ragnarok amp today, and hocked it with the X-Sabre ^^  time to test :p 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back