Matrix X-Sabre DAC review and impression thread
Apr 4, 2014 at 6:12 PM Post #872 of 1,273
the X-Sabre is the best indeed!! i officially got my Final DAC people!! Project86 was so right when he said this is the best mix between fun and musical, didn't miss the Treble nor the Musical upper mids :3 not to mention how smooth the presentation is!! 

1100$ really? this worth more!! ouch!! 

Apr 6, 2014 at 10:19 PM Post #874 of 1,273
  the X-Sabre is the best indeed!! i officially got my Final DAC people!! Project86 was so right when he said this is the best mix between fun and musical, didn't miss the Treble nor the Musical upper mids :3 not to mention how smooth the presentation is!! 

1100$ really? this worth more!! ouch!! 

Do you find the RCA output of the Matrix too hot for your Pico Power?

Apr 6, 2014 at 10:23 PM Post #875 of 1,273
nice! this is on my short list of DACs...still waiting to see what iFi has up their sleeve with the mini iDSD that is supposed to come out later this year...

Apr 7, 2014 at 5:06 AM Post #876 of 1,273
Apr 7, 2014 at 12:32 PM Post #878 of 1,273
  Do you find the RCA output of the Matrix too hot for your Pico Power?

The RCA output is only 10% hotter than the commonly used 2V standard. So I imagine it should work comfortably in most situations. It's those XLR outputs you have to worry about. 

Apr 7, 2014 at 9:57 PM Post #882 of 1,273
Meh, personally I have my doubts about the whole operation. People throw it out there that they make one of the best DACs in the world, and now they are condescending to make budget gear. Well, yes, they make one of the more *expensive* DACs out there, but not necessarily one that has earned its way into the upper echelons of digital just yet. It's not like we are dealing with a dCS or Esoteric or Meitner here... They have yet to prove themselves in the world class arena in my book, much less the budget market. Add in the questionable marketing aspects and it's enough to make me steer clear until the dust settles.

Maybe not a popular opinion to express, but there it is.

Apr 7, 2014 at 10:36 PM Post #883 of 1,273
Meh, personally I have my doubts about the whole operation. People throw it out there that they make one of the best DACs in the world, and now they are condescending to make budget gear. Well, yes, they make one of the more *expensive* DACs out there, but not necessarily one that has earned its way into the upper echelons of digital just yet. It's not like we are dealing with a dCS or Esoteric or Meitner here... They have yet to prove themselves in the world class arena in my book, much less the budget market. Add in the questionable marketing aspects and it's enough to make me steer clear until the dust settles.

Maybe not a popular opinion to express, but there it is.

I'm so glad to hear someone else express this as I've felt the same.

I know there's more to a product than marketing, but I can't help feel like I'm watching an infomercial for cheap steak knives whenever I see their marketing videos and it really put me off...

May 5, 2014 at 7:12 PM Post #884 of 1,273
I read here some pages back that there are connectivity problems with USB 3 and x-sabre.   Is this indeed the case as I can't find anything on Matrix web site.  Using Macbook with usb 3 .   Haven't had any problems with  Audioengine 3 , Pan Am , or wa7  connections.  

May 5, 2014 at 8:22 PM Post #885 of 1,273
USB3 is a common problem for all DACs, not just Matrix.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back