Matrix M-Stage amp review: simple, cheap, and excellent.
Aug 7, 2013 at 4:29 AM Post #4,144 of 5,176
Dave of Headfonia feels that the $60 Cmoy has better mids than Asgard 2 and Matrix M Stage. I want to ask if others believe this to be true :frowning2:

http://www.headfonia.com/matrix-m-stage/

He feels that Cmoy has better mids and that A2 mids are congested.

Can others share light on this?

Aug 7, 2013 at 4:38 AM Post #4,145 of 5,176
Quote:
Dave of Headfonia feels that the $60 Cmoy has better mids than Asgard 2 and Matrix M Stage. I want to ask if others believe this to be true :frowning2:

Easy explanation. Never, ever ever ever never ever never ever ever trust headphonia reviews. They are incredibly inaccurate and the writers are often very misinformed. 

A prize example:
http://www.headfonia.com/dual-denons-ah-d600-d7100/

Aug 7, 2013 at 4:56 AM Post #4,146 of 5,176
But if he has tested both then why would be advise wrongly?

Aug 7, 2013 at 10:43 AM Post #4,147 of 5,176

Easy explanation. Never, ever ever ever never ever never ever ever trust headphonia reviews. They are incredibly inaccurate and the writers are often very misinformed. 

A prize example:
http://www.headfonia.com/dual-denons-ah-d600-d7100/

It's true that I disagree with some of their reviews, but I don't see what's wrong with the example you give. I haven't heard the D7100 but the D600 is indeed a great-sounding headphone, regardless of measurements.

Aug 7, 2013 at 11:38 AM Post #4,148 of 5,176
Quote:

Not at all true, and then again there are MANY different kinds of cMoy out there and by the same respects a few different kinds of opamps to roll into the Matrix which make it sound even better 

Aug 7, 2013 at 12:22 PM Post #4,149 of 5,176
It's no secret that Mike from Headfonia likes warm, coloured mids. I don't think he's ever liked anything that was neutral and transparent. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that, but he's definitely in the minority among audiophiles.

Aug 7, 2013 at 12:38 PM Post #4,150 of 5,176
Quote:
It's no secret that Mike from Headfonia likes warm, coloured mids. I don't think he's ever liked anything that was neutral and transparent. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that, but he's definitely in the minority among audiophiles.

agree'd the cMoy I had, well it had thick mids. Where as the Matreix with an Lme49990 does not... very nuetral and clean mids I say/ 

Aug 7, 2013 at 3:05 PM Post #4,151 of 5,176
I have just ordered this to TamAudio:

I hope it deserves the price.... maybe NwAvguy has reason and i'm wasting my money... i will see. I have the idea to make test&proves and change stock opamps on DAC secction and Amp secction.

Aug 8, 2013 at 12:23 PM Post #4,152 of 5,176
I just swapped the stock opamp for the free LM4562 sample that I received from TI. To my ears, the first thing I noticed was that the LM4562 makes the treble more delicate. Thinner, sharper, and more defined. Actually, a better word would be crisper. It sounds very crisp. The stock opamp sounded more "diffuse" and "atmosheric" in the treble. It's a bit analogous to tighter, faster bass with sharp impact, as opposed to fatter, more resonant bass with duller impact. Except... in the treble. Sorry if I'm not expressing myself very clearly; sound is hard to describe :)

Aug 8, 2013 at 7:00 PM Post #4,153 of 5,176
I just swapped the stock opamp for the free LM4562 sample that I received from TI. To my ears, the first thing I noticed was that the LM4562 makes the treble more delicate. Thinner, sharper, and more defined. Actually, a better word would be crisper. It sounds very crisp. The stock opamp sounded more "diffuse" and "atmosheric" in the treble. It's a bit analogous to tighter, faster bass with sharp impact, as opposed to fatter, more resonant bass with duller impact. Except... in the treble. Sorry if I'm not expressing myself very clearly; sound is hard to describe :)

I fully agree with your description of the LM4562.
And I know what you mean, sound is hard to describe, I'm terrible when it comes to describing sound too! :D

Aug 9, 2013 at 8:09 AM Post #4,154 of 5,176
Quote:

On the positive I have to say my LMe 49990 has the same effect on treble as well. One of the things I like about the M Stage is, over my Clear Top Tube [which is warm] the M Stage has much sharper and well defined and treble. It makes the w1000x almost as nice as the Dt 880 [although my w1000x is modded so it's about 25% leaner than stock imo]

Aug 9, 2013 at 1:25 PM Post #4,155 of 5,176
Got my Muses 01 yesterday. After I changed it and started listening to some songs, something happend. Something good. I like this more than the Class A biasing mod. I'm not sure how to express this yet, but I'm enjoying it quite much right now. I can't complain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back