Matrix M-Stage amp review: simple, cheap, and excellent.
Aug 9, 2013 at 3:33 PM Post #4,156 of 5,176
So I just ordered an M-Stage with the OPA672AP biasing mod from Tam to use with my Q701s. This is my first standalone headphone amp, had been running them off an Audioengine D1 prior to this for a little over a year.. What difference should I expect in the sound with the amp vs the D1 alone? Also, is there a good way to test the thing once I get it to verify it's working as it should? Thanks.

Aug 9, 2013 at 4:26 PM Post #4,157 of 5,176
I've never heard the D1, but the answer to both your questions is: use your ears! It's best not to be biased by expectations based on what other people say. Discover the difference in sound yourself - it's more exciting that way. If it sounds as good or better than your current set up, it's working properly. If it sounds worse, something's probably wrong :)

Aug 10, 2013 at 8:51 AM Post #4,158 of 5,176
Quote:
I've never heard the D1, but the answer to both your questions is: use your ears! It's best not to be biased by expectations based on what other people say. Discover the difference in sound yourself - it's more exciting that way. If it sounds as good or better than your current set up, it's working properly. If it sounds worse, something's probably wrong :)

Indeed, your ears are your best friend. Speaking of which... WOW. With the Lme49990 the Matrix has some most epic detail retrival! I'm noticing things I didn't before... like stereo sound... really stands out [and yes it's the song not the amp lol] I like that! Listening to my favorite DnB and wow I'm hearing little ticks and noises that I never noticed, that really do add to the song! This amp really makes my Modded w1000x a serious refrance can imo! Not even the Dt 990 brings out details as well [mostly due to all that BASS] 

Wow this amp just captured the rich deep mids of Adele's voice. Granted you have to listen a little more closely to feel her voice but it's there! My hybrid tube still sounds warmer, but this LME 49990 is no cold shoulder! 

Aug 10, 2013 at 12:32 PM Post #4,159 of 5,176
I'm personally enjoying my Muses 01 much more than the Class A biasing opa 627 mod. More detail, and I think the treble is more detailed and some songs dont sound like mashed potatoes anymore, bass is more controlled but gives more punch when needed and it is a bit more detailed too. Overall, much better. Then again, it cost me around 70 bucks (~50 Euros). Still waiting for the LM4562 to arrive so I can compare. The LME49990 sounds like something I should still try. However, I can gladly recommend the Muses 01 to anyone. Rather supprised if anyone else hasn't tested out the Muses 01 with Matrix M-Stage.

Aug 10, 2013 at 2:51 PM Post #4,161 of 5,176
Quote:
I'm personally enjoying my Muses 01 much more than the Class A biasing opa 627 mod. More detail, and I think the treble is more detailed and some songs dont sound like mashed potatoes anymore, bass is more controlled but gives more punch when needed and it is a bit more detailed too. Overall, much better. Then again, it cost me around 70 bucks (~50 Euros). Still waiting for the LM4562 to arrive so I can compare. The LME49990 sounds like something I should still try. However, I can gladly recommend the Muses 01 to anyone. Rather supprised if anyone else hasn't tested out the Muses 01 with Matrix M-Stage.

I also have a LME49720HA, any one compare this with a LM4562? My orignal buyer told me the LME49720HA was too lean for him. That the LME49990 had a little less treble energy, but was the quickest over all out of the LME49720HA and the Stock 

Either way it sound great, and I'm starting to hear the warmth in the LME49990 as I use it more with my w1000x. 

Aug 10, 2013 at 2:52 PM Post #4,162 of 5,176
I ordered the Muses01 from Amazon from cpm accessories as they were located in the states, thus I thought they would legit muses01. Turns out they shipped it from China, so I'm not sure how legit my one actually is. Then again, the legit ones are made in taiwan to my understanding, so who knows. It looked quite legit and cost the same as a legit one so Id expect it to be a legit one. I haven't ordered the LME49990, but I have a LM4562NA coming from ebay from "nooelec".

Aug 10, 2013 at 8:56 PM Post #4,163 of 5,176
Quote:
I ordered the Muses01 from Amazon from cpm accessories as they were located in the states, thus I thought they would legit muses01. Turns out they shipped it from China, so I'm not sure how legit my one actually is. Then again, the legit ones are made in taiwan to my understanding, so who knows. It looked quite legit and cost the same as a legit one so Id expect it to be a legit one. I haven't ordered the LME49990, but I have a LM4562NA coming from ebay from "nooelec".

The prices on the Muses 01's are all over the board on Ebay. Seems to me the variation in pricing makes no sense. I have held off on getting this amp because there are so many copy opamps out there who knows what you are getting. Even "trusted sellers" can't really be completely trusted since there are so many copy parts out there they may not know if they are real. I asked Tam if their Burr Browns  were real and he replied "look at the picture". Not completely reassuring. 

Aug 10, 2013 at 9:40 PM Post #4,164 of 5,176
The prices on the Muses 01's are all over the board on Ebay. Seems to me the variation in pricing makes no sense. I have held off on getting this amp because there are so many copy opamps out there who knows what you are getting. Even "trusted sellers" can't really be completely trusted since there are so many copy parts out there they may not know if they are real. I asked Tam if their Burr Browns  were real and he replied "look at the picture". Not completely reassuring. 
I'm not sure that holding off on an amp just because you're unsure about opamps is really logical. With the amp itself you know exactly what you're getting - an excellent sounding amp even with the stock opamp. It's not an absolute necessity to replace it.

Aug 11, 2013 at 3:00 AM Post #4,166 of 5,176
Quote:
Absolutely agreed on this.

You're right...I'm a coward. I got stung with an amp from another Chinese company that broke and I learned the meaning of "no customer service". I'm still trying to get that tube amp fixed. I was looking at the M Stage as a backup amp so I would not get caught without a headphone amp again. Read most of this thread about the M Stage and got real close to committing. I just bought a WA2 to replace the broken tube amp. Now you've shamed me into getting off my butt and ordering the M Stage as my backup. Thought it would be nice to change off to solid state sometimes just for a change of pace. I am going to use these mostly with my T1's. I will check back after I get it and let you know how they pair. I haven't had a solid state amp in some time since i sold my Audio gd C2.2 (That was a great amp sorry I sold it).

Aug 11, 2013 at 4:53 AM Post #4,167 of 5,176
Quote:
You're right...I'm a coward. I got stung with an amp from another Chinese company that broke and I learned the meaning of "no customer service". I'm still trying to get that tube amp fixed. I was looking at the M Stage as a backup amp so I would not get caught without a headphone amp again. Read most of this thread about the M Stage and got real close to committing. I just bought a WA2 to replace the broken tube amp. Now you've shamed me into getting off my butt and ordering the M Stage as my backup. Thought it would be nice to change off to solid state sometimes just for a change of pace. I am going to use these mostly with my T1's. I will check back after I get it and let you know how they pair. I haven't had a solid state amp in some time since i sold my Audio gd C2.2 (That was a great amp sorry I sold it).

I understand you fully. I had similar concerns before buying my M-Stage. A reassuring fact is that these amplifiers seem to be very well made and don't break so easily. I have yet to find a report with a malfunctioning M-Stage.

Aug 11, 2013 at 8:27 AM Post #4,168 of 5,176
So I just ordered and paid for a Matrix M Stage from Tam with the class A mod installed. I just wanted to let you know that I was surprised to find that today he was offering a 10% discount on the order with free ems shipping. I was very pleasantly surprised  by the discount. I don't know if that is because I wrote him that I am active on Head-Fi or he is offering that discount to everyone but it made this very very cheap. I will report back after I receive my amp. Frankly, I don't know how he can do that class A mod for that price when the op amps alone from my local parts house cost more than $30. Maybe he has a source for recycled op amps, but if they work that's fine with me.

Aug 11, 2013 at 8:30 AM Post #4,169 of 5,176
Quote:
I understand you fully. I had similar concerns before buying my M-Stage. A reassuring fact is that these amplifiers seem to be very well made and don't break so easily. I have yet to find a report with a malfunctioning M-Stage.

Agree'd I felt the same way as well, I was lucky enough to find a buyer who had already bought some OP amps and replaced the Volume Knob, that combined with almost 100% positive reviews [except for a few nut jobs] convinced me to buy it... and it was a TOTALLY spur of the moment for me... and I am very glad I took that risk! 

Aug 11, 2013 at 8:57 AM Post #4,170 of 5,176
Quote:
Oh my... I always thought the idea that a headphone's sound would change by adjusting the gain on the amp was balony, but... just now I was feeling a little dissatisfied with my HD-650's bass output, and when I realized the gain was at the 10db level, I kicked it up a couple of notches to the 20db level, and the bass all of a sudden opened up. 

Am I imagining things? I must admit I'm adjusting the volume by hand to level the volumes when comparing different gain levels. But the difference definitely seems there (and that's why I'm asking here just to confirm!). 

It's not like the bass got an immediate bump, as if I was EQing them, but, the bass just seems little more forward, and seems like a more "there". Does anyone share similar experiences? Observations? 

I just did the same with my HE-500 and I can feel an overall improvement in sound quality.. I feel that it's not only the bass that changed, the sound stage seems to have improved as well.. I wish I did it earlier )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back