Matrix M-Stage amp review: simple, cheap, and excellent.
Aug 11, 2013 at 9:00 AM Post #4,171 of 5,176
So I just ordered and paid for a Matrix M Stage from Tam with the class A mod installed. I just wanted to let you know that I was surprised to find that today he was offering a 10% discount on the order with free ems shipping. I was very pleasantly surprised  by the discount. I don't know if that is because I wrote him that I am active on Head-Fi or he is offering that discount to everyone but it made this very very cheap. I will report back after I receive my amp. Frankly, I don't know how he can do that class A mod for that price when the op amps alone from my local parts house cost more than $30. Maybe he has a source for recycled op amps, but if they work that's fine with me.

I know what you mean.
I too am very suspicious of the OP637 source......the TAM Audio price just looks way too low!

Aug 11, 2013 at 11:14 AM Post #4,172 of 5,176
Quote:
I know what you mean.
I too am very suspicious of the OP637 source......the TAM Audio price just looks way too low!

My understanding is that the op amps come on a brown dog adapter so perhaps  I can order some different op amps from the local RS supply house which are known to be genuine and try changing them out. If they are in sockets that would be no sweat. I am not sure how that will effect the resistor mod on there for class A. Do different op amps require different resistor mods? Perhaps someone could advise about that?

Aug 11, 2013 at 11:56 AM Post #4,173 of 5,176
Quick question. I have my setup as follows: Xonar DG -> NFB-3.33 -> Matrix M-Stage -> DT-990 Pros. Should I have the audi channels set to 2 or 4 in the xonar panel? As there is some difference, but not sure what I should use.

Aug 11, 2013 at 1:34 PM Post #4,174 of 5,176
I noticed that the bigger knobs that people are getting on eBay seem to come in sets of two, and I definitely don't need two. If someone else bought two and is only using one of them, I wouldn't mind buying the other one off you. Please PM me 
cool.gif

Aug 11, 2013 at 6:49 PM Post #4,175 of 5,176
Quote:

I just did the same with my HE-500 and I can feel an overall improvement in sound quality.. I feel that it's not only the bass that changed, the sound stage seems to have improved as well.. I wish I did it earlier )

+1

I change it from +10db to +18db and I's impressive how well sound it now at the same volume I had it before but with new gain setting.

Bass more present and with more body, sound stage and scene more defined and highs more controled.

Now I'm just like: OMG!! 

Aug 11, 2013 at 9:19 PM Post #4,176 of 5,176
Interesting. I've never even tried +18 or +20, I've always had it at +10 and it's more than loud enough with the volume pot at less than halfway. +10 does sound better than 0 though. I'll have to try +18, I'm just concerned about whether or not I'll have enough fine control over the volume.

Aug 12, 2013 at 12:21 AM Post #4,177 of 5,176
Quote:

+1

I change it from +10db to +18db and I's impressive how well sound it now at the same volume I had it before but with new gain setting.

Bass more present and with more body, sound stage and scene more defined and highs more controled.

Now I'm just like: OMG!! 

Interesting. I don't want to be picky but is it same volume knob position or same sound level (in dB)?

Aug 12, 2013 at 1:00 AM Post #4,178 of 5,176
Interesting. I've never even tried +18 or +20, I've always had it at +10 and it's more than loud enough with the volume pot at less than halfway. +10 does sound better than 0 though. I'll have to try +18, I'm just concerned about whether or not I'll have enough fine control over the volume.

The bigger volume knob will defenitely improve volume control on higher gains

Aug 12, 2013 at 3:37 AM Post #4,179 of 5,176
Quote:
The bigger volume knob will defenitely improve volume control on higher gains

Indeed, my Dt 880s sounded lovely at +18, and ironically my st 990s sound sufficently the same at +10 and +18 [actually that is not correct] wow the bass get's more detailed and controlled at +18. It's a little tighter and has better visceral dynamics 

I'm curious as to how the w1000x might sound at +10, although that's way more volume that it needs... I mean the pot is at around 7 o clock maybe 8 and that's plenty loud for me on the dt 990, and I can increases ever so slighty with the bigger [sexy'r] knob

Yea no, the w1000x requires 0 gain, as any increase in gain brings the noise floor about an inch from my ears -.-  

Aug 12, 2013 at 4:07 PM Post #4,180 of 5,176
Very interesting... I've been switching back and forth between +10 and +18 (it's kind of a pain, having to flip 4 switches on the bottom of the unit; I wish they could've put a single gain switch on the front, just like the input selector) and they definitely sound different. The sound is a lot fuller and weightier on +18, in more ways than one.  
Firstly, bass is increased by a fair amount. There seems to be added warmth and depth as well. Main vocals sound fuller and chestier. Background singers sound like they're actually singing in full voice, whereas on +10 it sounds more like they're whispering.

Secondly, soundstage is a lot more full and layered, though not bigger per se. In fact, possibly due to the weightier sound, everything sounds more upfront and immediate. On +10 the soundstage was flat - like there's a giant wall of speakers 15 feet away, playing at you. They are a fair distance away from you, but everything is the same distance away. On +18 there is a lot more layering and depth to the soundstage. It's like you're listening to a live band with the lead singer in front of you, just a few feet away, guitars on either side of you, some instruments right behind the vocalist, other instruments much further back, background singers right behind you. In some ways it's more intimate, but more 3D and immersive.

I don't know if +18 sounds "better" than +10 in an absolute sense, but they are different. +10 has a light, airy, laid back sound. +18 is very engaging, dynamic and immersive. Are you actually "listening" to music, or just playing music in the background while you're working or relaxing? +18 is great for the former but +10 is better suited to the latter.

It's not all positive, however. While the amp is completely silent at 0 and +10 (although it does amplify any noise that's in the system if you turn up the volume), there is a very noticeable hiss at +18 and +20. The hiss is there regardless of volume, although it does increase somewhat if you turn up the volume. Not sure if this is due to the LM4652 or the amp design itself. It's too much work to open the thing up and swap in the stock opamp to test.

Also, there seems to be less clarity and more grain on the +18 setting.

Aug 12, 2013 at 4:40 PM Post #4,181 of 5,176
Quote:
Very interesting... I've been switching back and forth between +10 and +18 (it's kind of a pain, having to flip 4 switches on the bottom of the unit; I wish they could've put a single gain switch on the front, just like the input selector) and they definitely sound different. The sound is a lot fuller and weightier on +18, in more ways than one.  
Firstly, bass is increased by a fair amount. There seems to be added warmth and depth as well. Main vocals sound fuller and chestier. Background singers sound like they're actually singing in full voice, whereas on +10 it sounds more like they're whispering.

Secondly, soundstage is a lot more full and layered, though not bigger per se. In fact, possibly due to the weightier sound, everything sounds more upfront and immediate. On +10 the soundstage was flat - like there's a giant wall of speakers 15 feet away, playing at you. They are a fair distance away from you, but everything is the same distance away. On +18 there is a lot more layering and depth to the soundstage. It's like you're listening to a live band with the lead singer in front of you, just a few feet away, guitars on either side of you, some instruments right behind the vocalist, other instruments much further back, background singers right behind you. In some ways it's more intimate, but more 3D and immersive.

I don't know if +18 sounds "better" than +10 in an absolute sense, but they are different. +10 has a light, airy, laid back sound. +18 is very engaging, dynamic and immersive. Are you actually "listening" to music, or just playing music in the background while you're working or relaxing? +18 is great for the former but +10 is better suited to the latter.

It's not all positive, however. While the amp is completely silent at 0 and +10 (although it does amplify any noise that's in the system if you turn up the volume), there is a very noticeable hiss at +18 and +20. The hiss is there regardless of volume, although it does increase somewhat if you turn up the volume. Not sure if this is due to the LM4652 or the amp design itself. It's too much work to open the thing up and swap in the stock opamp to test.

Also, there seems to be less clarity and more grain on the +18 setting.

Ofc, the higher you increase the gain, the more you raise the Noise Floor. Some Headphones will... make it OBVIOUS. My w1000x get gawd awfully noisy at ANYTHING higher than 0, where as the Dt 990 barely pick up any of that noise at +18, also for me +20 seems like... a Mix of 10 and 18, on the dt 990 +20 sounds like a loud +10, where as [as you mentioned] +18 really is much more dynamic. Which to me is a good thing, even as I'm typing I still like to hear the dyanmics in the music. It's nice to stop for a second and just appreciate your music then get back to work. 

Aug 12, 2013 at 7:45 PM Post #4,182 of 5,176
Quote:
Interesting. I don't want to be picky but is it same volume knob position or same sound level (in dB)?

At same sound level. 
wink_face.gif

I thnink there are more present hiss and maybe distortion too but a good playing volume levels my ears can't notice that (i'm not a golden ears), only at very high volume levels I will never listen it.

But I like it much more at +18 than +10 gain.

The more noticed improvements happens in my HD668B not in the HD650 
blink.gif
!! On the Sennheiser the changes are less perceptible than on my Superlux 
confused_face(1).gif
 ... it sounds way better than before.

Aug 12, 2013 at 8:01 PM Post #4,183 of 5,176
Indeed it is a good amp, and this BABY is about to get a BATTLE to drive, Going to compare my w1000x to the Ath AD A900x and the AKG K550 :D closed headphone SHOOT out, although the AD A900x sells for $230 new and $100 refurbished :O [which my w1000x are refurbished actually] where as the K550 goes as cheaply as $160 and the w1000x was $350 for me refurbished, so it won't be to fair a compairison... although the K550 and AD A900x are in the same tier. It shall be exciting :D 

Aug 12, 2013 at 10:45 PM Post #4,184 of 5,176
Quote:

I just did the same with my HE-500 and I can feel an overall improvement in sound quality.. I feel that it's not only the bass that changed, the sound stage seems to have improved as well.. I wish I did it earlier )

My brother just gave me his M-Stage 1.  Just to make sure my unit isn't defective - when I change the gain from 0 > 10 > 18 > 20, the sound level gets lowered with each increase.  I then would have to turn the volume up to match the sound level.  

Is this how it's supposed to be?  Music does sound a lot better with the gains up but my master volume control also needs to be turned up even more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back