Matrix M-Stage amp review: simple, cheap, and excellent.
Aug 2, 2013 at 4:49 AM Post #4,111 of 5,176
Quote:
How much of an upgrade would the Schiit Lyr be over the Matrix M-Stage? I'm considering pairing one w/ Schiit's Bifrost for the LCD-2.

I would also like to know this.

Aug 2, 2013 at 8:47 AM Post #4,113 of 5,176
Aug 2, 2013 at 8:52 AM Post #4,114 of 5,176
Quote:

A simple change of the OP amp could cure that problem.

I've rolled a few Op Amps into the M Stage, it always sounds like a Matrix M Stage.

Aug 2, 2013 at 8:55 AM Post #4,115 of 5,176
Quote:

I don't think so, the physics is not there to support that rolling opamps alters sound in any discernible empirical way and physics is definitive (or at least not to be overturned by mere flawed human perception which sometimes makes us think the laws of physics somehow don't apply in certain instances, usually those that conform to our wishes/desires, when they hold constant in all others) while our very fallible human perception, especially heavily biased by the well documented effects of the cognitive distortions resulting from expectation, is not. Blind tested (as I have been with opamp swaps on some gear with other people) and no one can discern stock opamps from "improved" ones. So the Matrix sounds as it sounds and can not be improved. And it's not a bad amp, it's just the T1's really bring out its flaws imo.

And since I have no desire to discuss this I'll take my leave now and simply say I'm happy whenever anyone enjoys gear for whatever reason even if that reason has no actual basis in reality apart from our all-too-human perception.

I think you'll enjoy The Sound Science Forum!

Aug 2, 2013 at 9:09 AM Post #4,116 of 5,176
Quote:

I've rolled a few Op Amps into the M Stage, it always sounds like a Matrix M Stage.

Of course it sounds like Matrix M-Stage but it is possible to hear some differences in sound in spite of that. The sound is clearer and more focused and there is more air in the upper registers with [size=small]LM4562NA[/size]. The difference is by no means drastic but it's there. The Matrix M-Stage is still Matrix M-Stage no matter what 
smile.gif
 Of course this may be a topic for Sound Science.

Aug 2, 2013 at 9:18 AM Post #4,117 of 5,176
Quote:
Of course it sounds like Matrix M-Stage but it is possible to hear some differences in sound in spite of that. The sound is clearer and more focused and there is more air in the upper registers with [size=small]LM4562NA[/size]. The difference is by no means drastic but it's there. The Matrix M-Stage is still Matrix M-Stage no matter what 
smile.gif
 Of course this may be a topic for Sound Science.

Just to clarify, in my opinion, the Matrix M Stage does sound better with an LM4562. Just don't expect a miracle, folks.

BTW, I agree with your impressions, very well said!  Thanks!
wink_face.gif

Keep me away from the Science Fiction Forum............................
frown.gif

Aug 2, 2013 at 1:58 PM Post #4,118 of 5,176
Quote:

Just to clarify, in my opinion, the Matrix M Stage does sound better with an LM4562. Just don't expect a miracle, folks.

BTW, I agree with your impressions, very well said!  Thanks!
wink_face.gif

Keep me away from the Science Fiction Forum............................
frown.gif

Ok comparision for the LM 4562 and the LME49990, getting tired of hearing how great the LME4562 is xD

Non the less with my LME 49990, the Matrix Sounds great, HECK it sounded wonderful with my Dt 990s [and I'm suprised how much depth and warmth it brings to Adelles voice!] My Cheap crappy Millet Hybrid Tube with RCA Clear Tops [which have amazing treble mind u] still sounds better with Vocals, but the Treble on the Matrix is better, and the bass tighter [still like that cheap tube, although when it gets replaced very soon... the Matrix will still b my Solid State <3]

Non the less, the Matrix Gives that cheapo thing a run for it's money not to mention DUAL inputs, wonderfull for some one with a Pc and a Wii u hooked up to the Same Monitor.

Still the Matrix Always suprises me, again it gave my Dt 880s a really nice Lower End, the tightness and lean quality of the Op amp did wonders for the 880s some what dull low end [and I don't use Software EQs either]

^^ plus it's a cool looking amp [maybe this isn't a good idea] but I have mine sitting on it's side. So again I appreciate how easy it is to use in that state, nice and slime, doesn't take up to much space on my desk and it keeps pretty cool. [I really do like this amp <3] and I like the different gain features! My Nintendo DS lacks power and bo o boi, the M Matrix juices it up nicely xD 

Aug 2, 2013 at 7:18 PM Post #4,120 of 5,176
Quote:
Currently using this with my new T1 and liking it. Anyone else use this amp to drive T1's?

I came very close to ordering one of these to try with my T1's but I've just not been able to convince myself it was worth the effort. I have a tube amp that works great with the T1's but it is out of commission waiting for repair so I thought about this. Just not enough positive comments on the combination to get me to pull the trigger. Seems it works better with the HD800. I am looking for a ss amp for my T1's but I expect I will have to look for something much more expensive to really do justice to the T1's. Nothing I have read really convinced me to make the purchase.No way for me to hear this combo before buying. I had the Audio gd C2.2 and it was really great with the T1's but I sold it some time ago. Now with my tube amp on the blink I regret selling it. I doubt the M stage would be the equal of that agd C2.2 which was really an outstanding ss amp.

Aug 3, 2013 at 8:31 AM Post #4,121 of 5,176
Quote:
I came very close to ordering one of these to try with my T1's but I've just not been able to convince myself it was worth the effort. I have a tube amp that works great with the T1's but it is out of commission waiting for repair so I thought about this. Just not enough positive comments on the combination to get me to pull the trigger. Seems it works better with the HD800. I am looking for a ss amp for my T1's but I expect I will have to look for something much more expensive to really do justice to the T1's. Nothing I have read really convinced me to make the purchase.No way for me to hear this combo before buying. I had the Audio gd C2.2 and it was really great with the T1's but I sold it some time ago. Now with my tube amp on the blink I regret selling it. I doubt the M stage would be the equal of that agd C2.2 which was really an outstanding ss amp.

You know I will say I REALLY liked the Matrix with my Dt 880 250 ohm, so it might be powerful enough to drive the T1 as well, it gave my Dt 880s lack luster Bottom end a nice Tight Warmth to it, really pleasent! 

Aug 3, 2013 at 8:44 AM Post #4,122 of 5,176
How much of an upgrade would the Schiit Lyr be over the Matrix M-Stage? I'm considering pairing one w/ Schiit's Bifrost for the LCD-2.

I can't really answer your question, but obviously you can roll different tubes into the Lyr to change it's sound a bit.
I think rolling tubes has a greater effect on an amp than rolling Op Amps in the M Stage.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do! :D

Aug 3, 2013 at 1:41 PM Post #4,123 of 5,176
I noticed there has been a lot of talk about op amps lately, specifically the lm4562, so I thought I would share my my thoughts on these.  I bought my m stage from Tam Audio about a year ago with the class A bias opa627 mod pre installed.  I was pretty happy with it, but it was very colored compared to what I was used to, even with my k701s which tend to do well with a little coloration.  That being said with the class A opa627 had some almost tubey warmth in the lower mids and a laid back treble that was really enjoyable with certain music.

A couple months ago I bought a pair of Mr Speaker Mad Dogs to complement my k701s, and with the Mad Dogs the coloration with the opa627 mod was even more noticeable, and I found with those headphones the mid bass had to much emphases for my taste.  I switched to the lm4562 about a week ago and have been really enjoying it with both of my headphones.  The first thing I noticed right off the bat was the lm4562 had significantly more treble energy.  I know others say these differences are subtle, but for me they were quite noticeable.  Sure it still sounds like an m stage but as far as I'm concerned the m stage with lm4562 has a totally different tonal balance.  I find the lm4562 very neutral compared to the opa627 which was warm and laid back.  The tonal balance with the lm4562 is very similar to the O2 but it still retains the fullness and great dynamics that I liked with the m stage opa627 combo.  I also find that I can detect differences between different DACs more easily with the lm4562, probably because of the neutrality.  Whereas with the opa627 every DAC sounded like the m stage, warm and laid back.  Anyways, I'm very happy with the "downgrade" to lm4562.  If you are looking for neutrality I highly suggest giving it a try.

On a side note, my class A bias opa627 is for sale on ebay right now if anyone is looking for one.  

Aug 3, 2013 at 2:33 PM Post #4,124 of 5,176
Very nice, my LME 49990 has a simmilar sound, it's not Mid light but it has really WONDERFUL Treble. It smooths out and wonderfully extends the treble of BOTH my Dt 990 and my w1000x, both of which are bright cans that can be a little "OMG POP" light cheap 80's POP music bright... not harsh sibilant but both cans [espically the w1000x, Drum n Bass snares are a little too energetic some times] Non the less, the Matrix with the LME 49990 really removes this issue. The Treble get's much better extension. Good bright quality and a little more air! Still I'd like to try the LM4562 although have poor eltrical skills [mine came preinstalled with the lme 49990 thanks to buying a used amp <3 [not to mention mine has an Modded Knob as well <3 <3] 

So yea I really like the op I have, but I wonder how much it's like the one you guys keep mentioning! 

Aug 3, 2013 at 2:58 PM Post #4,125 of 5,176
Very nice, my LME 49990 has a simmilar sound, it's not Mid light but it has really WONDERFUL Treble. It smooths out and wonderfully extends the treble of BOTH my Dt 990 and my w1000x, both of which are bright cans that can be a little "OMG POP" light cheap 80's POP music bright... not harsh sibilant but both cans [espically the w1000x, Drum n Bass snares are a little too energetic some times] Non the less, the Matrix with the LME 49990 really removes this issue. The Treble get's much better extension. Good bright quality and a little more air! Still I'd like to try the LM4562 although have poor eltrical skills [mine came preinstalled with the lme 49990 thanks to buying a used amp <3 [not to mention mine has an Modded Knob as well <3 <3] 

So yea I really like the op I have, but I wonder how much it's like the one you guys keep mentioning! 

I can't comment on the 49990 but I can say that a simple opamp swap is extremely easy. I was a little concerned but all it takes is a screw driver to remove the top of the m stage and then you just pull out the old one and stick in th new one. No soldering required. For the couple dollars these things cost it's worth a try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back