Matrix M-Stage amp review: simple, cheap, and excellent.
May 5, 2012 at 8:58 PM Post #2,866 of 5,176
Superb, but no idea about the Little Dot.

May 6, 2012 at 7:43 AM Post #2,867 of 5,176
Quote:
How good is the Matrix M-stage with Dt 990s 250ohm ? How does it compare to LD MKIII?

I get good results with my 600 ohm Beyer DT880, but I prefer the the DT880 with an OTL tube amp.
Obviuosly YMMV 'cos the DT880s are not DT990s but they do show a strong family resemblance.
The DT990s are much brighter than the DT880s which may work well with a dark amp like the M Stage.

May 6, 2012 at 9:45 AM Post #2,869 of 5,176
Quote:
Thank you.:)

But do you think that the tube amps are better then solid state ones for DT 990 ? Just from experience or some knowledge.

Hi,

I don't think it would be fair for me to give you an opinion because I have heard the DT990 several times but only thru a solid state amp.
Based on "a bit of knowledge" there are a lot of people who swear by using the 600 ohm drivers in DT880 and DT990 with OTL tube amps.
The La Figaro or Dark Voice 336 series seem to have their fans with DT880 and DT990 owners (like me).

Try posting your question on this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/513393/guide-sonic-differences-between-dt770-dt990-models-more   
Or you may actually find the answer somewhere in that 55 page thread! 
There is a "Search This Thread" button below the title on that thread (and every other thread).

May 8, 2012 at 2:54 AM Post #2,870 of 5,176
I'm not sure how anyone of us can really tell another if tube or solid state is better, for me at least, both are good and slightly different, the best tube amps bring out the best soundstage from many cans to my ears, the best solid state amps offer the most linear response. Not that a good otl amp doesn't reach to the extremes, maybe just tighter control.  High impedance cans work best with tubes IMO.  But my 598's open up well also. When I had a few pairs of Denon, didn't really care for the result.  For anything but classical I use ss on my hd650's for classical the holographic staging of an otl is very seductive.

Oops, back to the 990's I prefer otl with them for the mids. One of the few I prefer tubes to listen to, that's just my opinion, my hearing, and I only can offer how I hear it, hope that helps.

And chris, I'm loving the M stage with the new opamp, it sounds ridiculous good for it's price, now one of my favorite amps!

May 8, 2012 at 12:34 PM Post #2,871 of 5,176
Quote:
I'm not sure how anyone of us can really tell another if tube or solid state is better, for me at least, both are good and slightly different, the best tube amps bring out the best soundstage from many cans to my ears, the best solid state amps offer the most linear response. Not that a good otl amp doesn't reach to the extremes, maybe just tighter control.  High impedance cans work best with tubes IMO.  But my 598's open up well also. When I had a few pairs of Denon, didn't really care for the result.  For anything but classical I use ss on my hd650's for classical the holographic staging of an otl is very seductive.

Oops, back to the 990's I prefer otl with them for the mids. One of the few I prefer tubes to listen to, that's just my opinion, my hearing, and I only can offer how I hear it, hope that helps.

And chris, I'm loving the M stage with the new opamp, it sounds ridiculous good for it's price, now one of my favorite amps!

Wow, that's great news about your Matrix M Stage.
I'm gald I was able to help!

As for the tube/solid state debate, I agree with what you are saying; I think it just comes down to what you like and no one can answer that question for you.
For me it also depends on what music I am listening to.

It's too complicated, so:
Maybe I should sell everything and get a Bose Wave radio, because a lot of people say it is the best.
I know this because I saw it on TV! LOL!  
wink_face.gif

May 9, 2012 at 7:58 PM Post #2,872 of 5,176
Has anyone meassured the weight of their M-Stage? It somewhat confusing to read all these different informations: most retailers says 1,5kg, some of them indicates a weight of 2kg (including packaging?) and the manual says 1,4kg. Well I threw everything on a scale: the M-Stage USB (current version) weighs 1186g, the power cord 139g and the packaging without the manual 231g. It know it's crazy to meassure the whole thing, but i just wanted to know
biggrin.gif

One more thing: I get a quite noticeable hum on my TF10, even on lowest gain and volume; completely normal?

May 9, 2012 at 8:30 PM Post #2,873 of 5,176
I don't notice any humming, also I don't have a scale to weight it.

May 9, 2012 at 10:22 PM Post #2,874 of 5,176
I don't hear no stinking humming, not even from my IEMs, but they are Shure SE210 which are shyte anyway......

May 11, 2012 at 5:01 AM Post #2,877 of 5,176
Safe.

May 11, 2012 at 5:04 AM Post #2,878 of 5,176
Question about op amps...
Someone, I assume you Chis said somewhere that 4562 may not be stable on 0 gain setting..... (cant seem to find where now)
What specs do I need to look at to understand why? 
I have a dual 49990 and a 49860 i am wanting to try and wondering if they can be used on 0 gain or not?

Cheers

May 11, 2012 at 1:06 PM Post #2,880 of 5,176
Quote:
Question about op amps...
Someone, I assume you Chis said somewhere that 4562 may not be stable on 0 gain setting..... (cant seem to find where now)
What specs do I need to look at to understand why? 
I have a dual 49990 and a 49860 i am wanting to try and wondering if they can be used on 0 gain or not?

Cheers

It usually just says in the datasheet what minimum gain that the chip wants.  Actually, Matrix/Lehmann should have made the 0 gain setting 1 or 2 instead.  You always want some voltage gain according to Tangentsoft.

LME49710/49720/LM4562/LME49860 just isn't for this amp at all, not that anyone cares.

Quote:
so i can just leave my headphones in my m stage when i turn it on and off?

Totally.  Putting in the wrong opamp may cause huge pops (I'm not sure about that), but if you go with the recommendations that I or others in this thread have made, you shouldn't have issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back