Matrix M-Stage amp review: simple, cheap, and excellent.
May 3, 2012 at 12:42 AM Post #2,851 of 5,176
Quote:

Didn't find anything here?

Ah, why didn't I think of that one!? 
biggrin.gif

But seriously, thanks.

For anyone else who was wondering, and too lazy to look through the search function, there were many positive comments in regards to the M-stage and D2000s. In fact, I don't think I even saw one negative criticism, really.

I guess I'll be springing for one of these very soon.  
smile_phones.gif

May 3, 2012 at 10:33 AM Post #2,852 of 5,176
strange.
the longest time i left my m stage on was for 36hours and it never gets hot.
it does get warm though. like between luke warm and cozy warm. btw i have the vented version of m stage with no usb dac and stock op amp. 120v.

May 3, 2012 at 1:19 PM Post #2,853 of 5,176
My unvented M-Stage got almost burning hot on a couple of occasions.  These days, it just gets cozy warm for me, too, and no more.
I stick with opamps that don't oscillate lately.

May 3, 2012 at 3:30 PM Post #2,854 of 5,176
Quote:
strange.
the longest time i left my m stage on was for 36hours and it never gets hot.
it does get warm though. like between luke warm and cozy warm. btw i have the vented version of m stage with no usb dac and stock op amp. 120v.

I wonder if it possible to get a hold of the venting casting. Because mine is the v2 ver. Tho i could always tape 4 120mm case fans on it and use a long 4 pin psu extension running from my comp.

May 3, 2012 at 3:58 PM Post #2,855 of 5,176
You could always drill some big holes in it....

May 3, 2012 at 8:37 PM Post #2,856 of 5,176
Yea true, but i not handy with power tools. I more likey to make a wreck of it.

May 3, 2012 at 11:42 PM Post #2,857 of 5,176
Well, be artistic at wrecking it! 
biggrin.gif

May 4, 2012 at 7:05 AM Post #2,858 of 5,176
Quote:
Thanks for the excellent review. I've looked at the internals and it is a fairly standard circuit layout. Very similar to
http://electronics-diy.com/electronic_schematic.php?id=346

However I have one issue with this headphone amplifier that I wonder if anybody else has experienced. I have it plugged in to the tape monitor output on my Cary Audio SLP98 preamp. When the Matrix is powered off, the sound on my preamp degrades considerably and I find I have to unplug the preamp.

Do others find this to be the case?

I've looked into the internals and see that it uses a relay to switch between inputs. I will try next to connect to the normally unconnected input when powered down and will report back on the results.

Regards,

Jerry

Yes, I have found this to be a problem,
Have you tried flipping the input slector in the Matrix to the unused iinput?
This works for me but I have an older Matrix (8 months old!
angry_face.gif
) which does not have a USB input so YMMV!    LOL!

CJ

May 5, 2012 at 12:19 AM Post #2,861 of 5,176
anyone recommend a chip ?.................here's the info to help you help me:

I don't particularly prefer the class A mode dual chip sound. I find it a touch too 'rich' in an unatural way. So am currently using and preferring the stock single chip. But, while I like just about everything to the sound, there is a touch of 'sponge' to the mids and lows that i'd like to dial out hopefully with a slightly less compressed sounding chip. To my ears classA was even more compressed, so the single chip helped me go in the right direction, now I am just hoping for a different single chip that will take me the rest of the way to a more lean and dry, less 'affected' sound.

also, where are you guys getting your optional chips at?

thanks in advance.

May 5, 2012 at 7:14 AM Post #2,862 of 5,176
Quote:
anyone recommend a chip ?.................here's the info to help you help me:

I don't particularly prefer the class A mode dual chip sound. I find it a touch too 'rich' in an unatural way. So am currently using and preferring the stock single chip. But, while I like just about everything to the sound, there is a touch of 'sponge' to the mids and lows that i'd like to dial out hopefully with a slightly less compressed sounding chip. To my ears classA was even more compressed, so the single chip helped me go in the right direction, now I am just hoping for a different single chip that will take me the rest of the way to a more lean and dry, less 'affected' sound.

also, where are you guys getting your optional chips at?

thanks in advance.

After trying a few Op Amps, I find I am a big fan of the LM4562NA which is a dual Op Amp. 
I think you can get one from Tam Audio, I got mine from National Semiconductor.
This is a very clean Op Amp without the fake richness and spongi-ness, without the compression and other nastiness.

I like the LM4562NA because it is a good clear sounding Op Amp, no colouration, low distortion.

May 5, 2012 at 10:14 AM Post #2,863 of 5,176
Quote:
I wonder if it possible to get a hold of the venting casting. Because mine is the v2 ver. Tho i could always tape 4 120mm case fans on it and use a long 4 pin psu extension running from my comp.

Not sure on the case, but I was able to order a face plate from this ebay seller 
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140587163079&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123#ht_2982wt_648

I ordered silver but changed my room around and decided I wanted black.
Cost $20usd inc shipping to Australia so if they can supply i'd guess the housing would be similar. 

May 5, 2012 at 12:42 PM Post #2,864 of 5,176
thanks chris. I will try it. I suspect it's the dac that is what I like about this unit, more than the amp, so if this chip goes in the direction of making the amp section less conspicuous, it may be a good one for me. The overall unit itself has great qualities; resolution, soundstage etc but they are they are most apparent when using the dac. When plugging straight into the front (amp only) I frankly could take it or leave it.

chip sources:
http://octopart.com/lm4562na%2Fnopb-national+semiconductor-664061#compare_suppliers
http://www.newark.com/national-semiconductor/lm4562na-nopb/ic-audio-op-amp-55mhz-dip-8/dp/32M1177

Users who are viewing this thread

Back