Matrix M-Stage amp review: simple, cheap, and excellent.
May 23, 2010 at 10:00 PM Post #271 of 5,176
Thanks Frank and thanks again for steering me towards this amp!
k701smile.gif

I don't think I would of gotten the Heed, but I might of totally overlooked this amp otherwise. Of course I'm sure some other amps I looked at are great as well, but not perhaps such a good match for me with so many features/options like this one.

I have to wait for funds to be added to my Paypal account, but once they are it's ordered!

If it sounds better, stronger, than my current EF-1 amp then I'll be happy, and I bet it will.

How do you like your 1001's or 840's with it? I'm looking for some closed cans under and around $200-ish. Also looking at the AKG K 271 MK II that lescanard likes so much with this amp as well as several others.

May 24, 2010 at 12:26 AM Post #272 of 5,176
I recently bought one of these when my living situation changed (divorce, moving to an older apartment building with thin walls, etc.).  As a result, I have been selling off all my old stereo stuff (and it was some pretty nice stuff).  Turntable, integrated amp and speakers are all gone, along with a 1,000+ record collection.  Could I be happy just using headphones?

I've been using headphones for a while.  My integrated was a Portal Audio Panache, with a very good built in headphone section.  This integrated convinced me that I no longer needed my old MF X-Cans - the Panache just sounded better with both HD580's and DT880's.

I sold the Panache prior to buying the M-Stage, so I can only compare these from memory, but the M-Stage excels at something the Panache was never good at - the kind of deep, dark, silent background that I find pretty important with headphones, but not so much with speakers.  The Panache always had some low level hum, even with a balanced power transformer feeding it juice.  This hum was 10x worse if I ever hooked up anything connected to my video system.  The ground loop hum with the video components was beyond annoying, so I never used this integrated to watch movies or TV.

The Matrix seems dead quiet, even with the volume cranked way over to the top of it's travel.  And that's being fed by my DVD player or by my cable box! Ground loops and hum just don't seem to be an issue with this amp.  I've not played with the gain controls yet - I get plenty of gain with either set of cans for my relatively low listening levels with the gain controls set to their lowest setting.  I'll be curious to see if there's any audible difference using higher gain, but then padding it down with the volume control.

Otherwise, the Matrix seems to sound very similar to my memory (I sold it a month ago) of the Panache.  I really don't feel like either headphone sounds dramatically different than what I'm used to hearing, and I don't trust my memory enough to think I can describe subtle differences from memory.  Sorry!

However, given the almost $1,800 price the Panache sold for (admittedly, it was also a very good integrated amp), the $250 Matrix seems like a bargain.  I'm glad I bought it!  And yes, I think I'll get by just fine with a simple headphone system.

JB

May 24, 2010 at 4:29 AM Post #274 of 5,176
Just pulled the trigger and ordered mine.  I considered the Sheer Audio dynalo and the M^3 first, but after reading the reviews here and the price difference I was swayed.  I think I'm going to see a pretty big quality difference from my mini3 that I'm using now.  I can't wait! =)

May 24, 2010 at 7:21 AM Post #275 of 5,176

Quote:
Thanks Frank and thanks again for steering me towards this amp!
k701smile.gif

If it sounds better, stronger, than my current EF-1 amp then I'll be happy, and I bet it will.

How do you like your 1001's or 840's with it? I'm looking for some closed cans under and around $200-ish. Also looking at the AKG K 271 MK II that lescanard likes so much with this amp as well as several others.

It soind good with both the 1001 and the 840. The 840 is much better than the 1001. I tried both on the Matrix and both would bw good. If you shop Amazon you can get the 840 for 130.00 and the 2002 for under 100. If you can swing the 840 I would go that way.

May 24, 2010 at 5:12 PM Post #276 of 5,176

Quote:
It soind good with both the 1001 and the 840. The 840 is much better than the 1001. I tried both on the Matrix and both would bw good. If you shop Amazon you can get the 840 for 130.00 and the 2002 for under 100. If you can swing the 840 I would go that way.

Why do you like the 840 better? It seems Denons might be too bass heavy (and have loose and flabby bass as well) and the Shure's are more spacious. Is that right?

May 24, 2010 at 6:57 PM Post #278 of 5,176

Quote:
Why do you like the 840 better? It seems Denons might be too bass heavy (and have loose and flabby bass as well) and the Shure's are more spacious. Is that right?

The 1001 are not bass heavy at all. The 840 is much better isolation. Sound very dynamic much better bass and it is controlled. I only use the 1001 on my ipod because they are smaller. Better detail and mid range on the 840. Just overall IMHO better than the 1001

May 24, 2010 at 7:39 PM Post #279 of 5,176

Quote:
Does anyone know how this amp would react to the Grado SR325i?

No, but after I get it (which won't be until next week at least) I can tell you how it is with my Grado 225i's.

Quote:
The 1001 are not bass heavy at all. The 840 is much better isolation. Sound very dynamic much better bass and it is controlled. I only use the 1001 on my ipod because they are smaller. Better detail and mid range on the 840. Just overall IMHO better than the 1001

Thanks, that clears things up. I was just assuming most Denons are bass heavy since the D2000s are supposed to be.

Are the 840's pretty comfortable? Also, would you say they have a "laid back/smooth" sound? I've read that somewhere.

May 25, 2010 at 10:41 PM Post #282 of 5,176
Just ordered mine today for my k702s. I'm super excited.
A few questions for US owners though:
  1. Did you have to pay duties or customs?
  2. About how long did it take to come?

May 25, 2010 at 10:54 PM Post #283 of 5,176

Quote:
Just ordered mine today for my k702s. I'm super excited.
A few questions for US owners though:
  1. Did you have to pay duties or customs?
  2. About how long did it take to come?

No duty for me - and only took 5 days from when I received the shipping notice. Congratulations.

May 26, 2010 at 1:41 PM Post #285 of 5,176
for those wanting to save about $150 Us
http://cgi.ebay.com/LOVELY-CUBE-Linear-Headphone-Amplifier-Finished-Board-/200472011056?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers&hash=item2ead102130

Not my auction but this guy will sell you all the parts needed.  Comes out to about $150 or so.. You just don't get the fancy plate printing.. 
Just a heads up for those on a budget.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back