Matrix M-Stage amp review: simple, cheap, and excellent.
May 16, 2010 at 5:11 AM Post #241 of 5,176
Yeah I would like to hear about that as well. Seems like quiet a varied list you got there, though :wink:

May 16, 2010 at 8:18 AM Post #242 of 5,176

Quote:
Yeah I would like to hear about that as well. Seems like quiet a varied list you got there, though :wink:

I really like the Planar sound as I have Magneplanar MMG in my main system and they are phenomenal, Waiting on the Can Jam comments. I narrowed it to the Denon AHD7000 and The Head Direct. I will buy one or the other. If the Matrix can drive the Planar and I believe it can thats probably going to be the best option for me. Nice warranty and a 30 day trial from Head Direct make it very attractive.

May 16, 2010 at 8:27 AM Post #243 of 5,176
Aude'ze LCD2 would be neat but 950USD plus s&h is too much

May 16, 2010 at 8:31 AM Post #244 of 5,176

Quote:
Aude'ze LCD2 would be neat but 950USD plus s&h is too much

I started out with 600.00 in mind I am already over budget. I would have to sell more vinyl for that. LOL  I am getting rid of all my vinyl and have many more out of print Mobile Fidelity and Direct disc plus a turntable to sell. I simply dont play records anymore.

May 18, 2010 at 3:55 PM Post #245 of 5,176

Quote:
I'm interested if anyone has (or considered) rolling in some different op-amps into the M-Stage. I haven't even cracked it open - but have a accumulated a few for my LD I+ (LT1364, LM4562, OPA2107). I'm not sure if there is a list or someone knows op-amps that may be compatible (or not)? I'm not even sure if I need to do this - but you know how it goes always wanting to tweak. Any thoughts? 

Yeah I am wondering about that, I currently have a LT1028C in my DAC and another one in the unused DAC headphone out... I also have an AD797BR on order and that is what I will likely stick into the DAC and then probably try LT1028 (two LT1028 in row is a bit lets say dark to me) in the M-Stage...

May 18, 2010 at 4:40 PM Post #246 of 5,176
Well guys I found out the Matrix  according to Head Direct wont have enough power for the new HE5 LE planars. I ordered the Denon AHD7000 and will have them tomorrow and will let everyone know how they sound with the Matrix.

May 18, 2010 at 7:55 PM Post #247 of 5,176
I'm using a Audio GD Sun opa in my M-Stage and it's much better than the original Opa, better definition and soundstage, i have to use and extension but works very good.

May 19, 2010 at 3:41 PM Post #249 of 5,176

Quote:
It seems this thread is for K70x lovers seeking for good and powerful amp, yet not burn a hole in your wallet... :)  I'm one of them...  

Thank you everyone...

That's what it seems...

I'm taking my time still...it's not like my EF-1 amp sounds bad at all, so I haven't gotten around to really studying my amp options and picking one. Maybe in a month or so...but that's what I've been saying ever since I got the 702's a few months back lol.

Quote:
Well guys I found out the Matrix  according to Head Direct wont have enough power for the new HE5 LE planars. I ordered the Denon AHD7000 and will have them tomorrow and will let everyone know how they sound with the Matrix.

I'm sure the 7000's will be great. I was thinking about the 2000's for awhile but ultimately went with the Grado 225i's and then after that the 702's. Maybe they are next? Or maybe not, I'm happy with both of my cans for now.

So you can switch opamps on the Matrix pretty easily? Or do you have to solder?

May 19, 2010 at 6:47 PM Post #251 of 5,176

Quote:
It seems this thread is for K70x lovers seeking for good and powerful amp, yet not burn a hole in your wallet... :)  I'm one of them...  

Thank you everyone...

Although I really love the M-Stage with my k701s, the original post reviewed it (very favorably) with tons of different gear - that was really one of the many reasons I pulled the trigger.

I think maybe that many k701 owners probably rank it as one of the top phones in their collection so the impressive match between the 2 makes a lot of us crow about the amp since we love our k701s. That being said - it is delightful with my D2000s - and at the request of a head-fier in another thread I've been listening to the Matrix with my beloved k271 MKIIs the last couple of days - what a treat.  If you appreciate these awesome and under-rated phones - you know what incredibly detailed and beautiful mids they give you, and although they may not have "as amazing" 3D-like soundstage as the 701s - I'm not sure there is a closed phone out there it's equal in that area. The M-Stage really gives the k271s a whole new level of bass - deep and powerful but controlled. I'm very impressed.

My only negative to this point is that my Little Dot I+ Hybrid (and the approximately 35+ tubes I've accumulated with it) has just been sitting there staring at me - lonely as can be. I'm just not sure I'll be using it too much anymore - the M-Stage performs brilliantly with all of my phones!  

May 19, 2010 at 6:52 PM Post #252 of 5,176

Quote:

Although I really love the M-Stage with my k701s, the original post reviewed it (very favorably) with tons of different gear - that was really one of the many reasons I pulled the trigger.

I think maybe that many k701 owners probably rank it as one of the top phones in their collection so the impressive match between the 2 makes a lot of us crow about the amp since we love our k701s. That being said - it is delightful with my D2000s - and at the request of a head-fier in another thread I've been listening to the Matrix with my beloved k271 MKIIs the last couple of days - what a treat.  If you appreciate these awesome and under-rated phones - you know what incredibly detailed and beautiful mids they give you, and although they may not have "as amazing" 3D-like soundstage as the 701s - I'm not sure there is a closed phone out there it's equal in that area. The M-Stage really gives the k271s a whole new level of bass - deep and powerful but controlled. I'm very impressed.

My only negative to this point is that my Little Dot I+ Hybrid (and the approximately 35+ tubes I've accumulated with it) has just been sitting there staring at me - lonely as can be. I'm just not sure I'll be using it too much anymore - the M-Stage performs brilliantly with all of my phones!  

I just got the Denon AHD7000 and am listening with the matrix but I alsi tried them with my MK11 and the 7000, Denons also good match but I really need hours on them to see if they are worth the money. Using no gain o setting with the Denons.

May 19, 2010 at 6:57 PM Post #253 of 5,176

Quote:
I just got the Denon AHD7000 and am listening with the matrix but I alsi tried them with my MK11 and the 7000, Denons also good match but I really need hours on them to see if they are worth the money. Using no gain o setting with the Denons.

DAYUM...want the D7000s someday. If the Matrix sounds as good as I think with my D2000s - I'll bet the D7000s sing with this little beast. Enjoy.

May 20, 2010 at 5:02 AM Post #255 of 5,176
Same here, even with zero gain, I listen to the D2000 with very little headroom (footspace?) to go lower in volume... On the upside, the pot tracks perfectly even there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back