Matrix M-Stage amp review: simple, cheap, and excellent.
May 20, 2010 at 9:49 AM Post #256 of 5,176

Quote:
Lescanard,

Parles-tu français..? :p

By the way, just for my curiosity..  how does it sound with SR60?

Haha...no I don't (long story on the handle). I haven't tried the sr60 with the Matrix - I mainly use it with my ipod - un-amp'd. I'll give it a roll at some point but don't really think it needs amping to sound great. 

May 20, 2010 at 5:13 PM Post #257 of 5,176
Just back from head Flier Bako place. Ross was kind enough to spend over 2 and half hours letting me listening to the HE5_LE on the Matrix and on the Gilmore lIte he has. The good news is the Matrix powered the He5 with no problem and most listing was done under 12. Very powerful and very nice cans. I liked them very much. Very refined with great bass and nice sound stage. More than likely will burn the Deon 7000 in and then make a decision. The Planars are a winner.

May 20, 2010 at 5:34 PM Post #258 of 5,176
Can you compare Denon vs HE5-LE bass?

May 20, 2010 at 5:41 PM Post #259 of 5,176

Quote:
Can you compare Denon vs HE5-LE bass?

The Denon has much better bass IMO the HE5LE is better than the AKG701 bass but I dont know if there is another can that will compete with the 7000. Still burning in and I wont compare the 7000 until it is fully burned in. The Planar are very nice cans that I liked very much

May 21, 2010 at 6:58 AM Post #263 of 5,176
As an owner of a BCL, it is flattering that the Matrix can be rated so highly, as I have no other SS headphone amp and if the Matrix is as good as the BCL than I am pleased with the BCL.  The matrix sounds like an amp that everyone should own as my experience with the BCL is that it drives EVERYTHING.  I enjoy my K701, D7000 and HD650 out of the BCL.

Just one thing in the back of my mind.  The Matrix is not an absolute clone of the BCL as the BCL does not have any op-amps whatsoever.  It is a fully discreet design with zero negative feedback, the Matrix must be inspired by the design of the BCL.  Nevertheless for it to be rated so highly at the entry level pricing is stupendous value no less.

May 21, 2010 at 8:27 AM Post #264 of 5,176

Quote:
As an owner of a BCL, it is flattering that the Matrix can be rated so highly, as I have no other SS headphone amp and if the Matrix is as good as the BCL than I am pleased with the BCL.  The matrix sounds like an amp that everyone should own as my experience with the BCL is that it drives EVERYTHING.  I enjoy my K701, D7000 and HD650 out of the BCL.

Just one thing in the back of my mind.  The Matrix is not an absolute clone of the BCL as the BCL does not have any op-amps whatsoever.  It is a fully discreet design with zero negative feedback, the Matrix must be inspired by the design of the BCL.  Nevertheless for it to be rated so highly at the entry level pricing is stupendous value no less.

All the online internal pictures of the BCL shows that it has a opamp sitting in the exact same spot as the Matrix.

May 21, 2010 at 10:48 AM Post #265 of 5,176
here is my comparision of the matrix with the Lavry headphone out. I tried both with my HD600 and they were very close and i couldnt tell which one was better. But when i drove my K1000, i prefered the Lavry cause it felt cleaner.

May 21, 2010 at 1:16 PM Post #266 of 5,176
Just to be clear, the BCL is the Lehmann Audio Black Cube Linear the Matrix says it sounds "just like"?

Edit: Duh, yes it is, finally read through the whole review.

Well this looks like a great match for my 702's and other potential future cans. Also considering the Sheer Audio Dynalo HA-006+ and Kicas Caliente and a few others, but none seem to look as promising as this, especially based on the BCL reviews I've read.

May 21, 2010 at 11:09 PM Post #267 of 5,176

Quote:
All the online internal pictures of the BCL shows that it has a opamp sitting in the exact same spot as the Matrix.

What does this op-amp do?  I bought the BCL because of its supposed "discreet output stage" which I presumed meant no IC Op-amps? Perhaps the op-amp on the BCL can also be rolled to change sound signatures?

May 22, 2010 at 12:04 AM Post #268 of 5,176

Quote:
What does this op-amp do?  I bought the BCL because of its supposed "discreet output stage" which I presumed meant no IC Op-amps? Perhaps the op-amp on the BCL can also be rolled to change sound signatures?

The way I see it BCL and M-Stage are designed as a two stage amplifier:
- the opamp's does the voltage amplification
- the transistors do the power amplification, buffering the output of the opamp

Swapping the opamp can be a tad difficult in the BCL because you need to desolder the original one and install a socket.

May 23, 2010 at 6:51 PM Post #269 of 5,176
I think I'm going with the M-Stage. I can't get over the price, user gain switching and opamp rolling, synergy it has with the 702's and overall compatibility it is supposed to have with several cans.

This will also leave me enough money to look for a decent ($200ish) closed can.

May 23, 2010 at 9:11 PM Post #270 of 5,176

Quote:
I think I'm going with the M-Stage. I can't get over the price, user gain switching and opamp rolling, synergy it has with the 702's and overall compatibility it is supposed to have with several cans.

This will also leave me enough money to look for a decent ($200ish) closed can.

LOL When you hear it you will know what a value it is. For very little money and built using all high quality parts and casing it is so good. I have been using the Denon AHD7000 since Tuesday no grain and amazing detail, This amp can be used with any cans. It made my 701 a new can. Love it. Have fun

Users who are viewing this thread

Back