Matrix M-Stage amp review: simple, cheap, and excellent.
Jun 2, 2010 at 8:28 PM Post #301 of 5,176
Just wanted to drop a quick line about the M-Stage and my transaction with Tam's Audio.  The amp is in one word "Fantastic".  Compared to my mini3 ( which I'm still amazed how good it sounds for the size ) the M-Stage is audio nirvana!=) It just does everything flat out better.  Far as my transaction with purchasing the amp it could not have gone any smoother. A+ customer service!  Also a big thank you to  Project86 for the excellent review.  It really helped with the final decision to go ahead with this amp.  I couldn't have asked for a better all around experience. 

Now I think I'm gonna sit back and
L3000.gif

Jun 4, 2010 at 3:58 PM Post #303 of 5,176
I am listening to my modded RX-700 through the M-Stage right now - such a cheap headphone has no right to sound so good :D I fault the M-Stage to no small degree.

Jun 5, 2010 at 3:57 PM Post #304 of 5,176
The more I listen to this m-stage the more I appreciate it. The sound just keeps getting tighter and tighter with my K702s making everything sound so crisp. You can also definitely tell the AKGs are being driven effortlessly.

Just a question though. Did anyone find a good opamp replacement to use with this amp?

Jun 6, 2010 at 8:06 AM Post #306 of 5,176

Quote:
The more I listen to this m-stage the more I appreciate it. The sound just keeps getting tighter and tighter with my K702s making everything sound so crisp. You can also definitely tell the AKGs are being driven effortlessly.

Just a question though. Did anyone find a good opamp replacement to use with this amp?

Mine sounds so good I have no desire to roll any opamps. May ask Coolfungadget that question and see what he thinks. He is very reachable with emails.

Jun 6, 2010 at 2:47 PM Post #307 of 5,176

Quote:
Mine sounds so good I have no desire to roll any opamps

I agree with the quality of the sound out of this amp, but I do have the curiosity to see how the sound signature would change. 
wink.gif

Jun 6, 2010 at 8:03 PM Post #308 of 5,176
I'm tempted to try the audio-gd earth module. Does anyone familiar with this know if it would work?

Jun 6, 2010 at 10:22 PM Post #309 of 5,176

Quote:

I agree with the quality of the sound out of this amp, but I do have the curiosity to see how the sound signature would change. 
wink.gif

That's what I like, the option to change the SS of the amp slightly. It's one reason I bought my EF-1: to roll tubes to change the SS slightly to my preferences. However, after trying 3 tubes, I settled on one (Tung Sol Black Glass) that is totally satisfactory and have felt no need to try another.

So it could very well be that the SS of the Matrix will sound so satisfactory to me out of the box/stock sound that I will feel no need to opamp roll. But it's nice to know the option is there (especially, if like with the EF-1, the stock tube/sound didn't quite satisfy), and it's one reason I picked the Matrix over some other amps: the socketed and easy to roll opamp (I don't want to mess with soldering).

I haven't received my M Stage yet btw (I only ordered it a mere 3 days ago)...sometime this week I'm sure.

Jun 6, 2010 at 10:41 PM Post #310 of 5,176
I'd love to see a comparison between this amp and the Neco MOSFET V2. Both used high quality components and Discrete Class-A design except the MOSFET powers each channel with one opamps (vs 1 for 2 channels in the M-Stage). 

A link to the ebay page of Neco: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140410007516&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_2449wt_1139

Jun 7, 2010 at 5:35 AM Post #311 of 5,176
after what I've read, I'm clearly tempted to pull the trigger here, but save one more question, is the Mini-i a better option if my dac is only the D10? or is it preferable to stick to the M-stage?

Cheers.

Jun 7, 2010 at 7:07 PM Post #313 of 5,176
Last year I bought my very first decent hifi system and it was a revelation. Lossless flac files streamed through a good dac,amp and speakers, oh my word! I was literally open mouthed in astonishment at first, and then grinning like a fool for weeks after that as I listened and listened to my collection.

Anyway, I've been considering trying a headphone set up for a little while, and this thread has convinced me. This weekend I ordered a pair of K702's and a Matrix M Stage from Jeffrey Tam (Coolfungadget). I'm so excited, I'm like a kid at christmas. Now just have to wait for delivery.

Thanks to Project86 for his review and thoughts, and everyone else for insights and comments.

I can only echo other's positive opinions on Mr Tam (Coolfungadget), he's already given excellent personal service and communication.

Jun 10, 2010 at 12:16 PM Post #314 of 5,176
What is so good about the Matrix is not matter what can I use with them they perform well above their price point. I am listening with my  Shure SRH840 and they sound so good. I really havent used the Little Dot MK11 in almost a month. They 840 sound so good on the Matrix as does the 701 and the D7000. One amp and it play everything I can throw at it.

Jun 10, 2010 at 6:33 PM Post #315 of 5,176

Quote:
Last year I bought my very first decent hifi system and it was a revelation. Lossless flac files streamed through a good dac,amp and speakers, oh my word! I was literally open mouthed in astonishment at first, and then grinning like a fool for weeks after that as I listened and listened to my collection.

Anyway, I've been considering trying a headphone set up for a little while, and this thread has convinced me. This weekend I ordered a pair of K702's and a Matrix M Stage from Jeffrey Tam (Coolfungadget). I'm so excited, I'm like a kid at christmas. Now just have to wait for delivery.

Thanks to Project86 for his review and thoughts, and everyone else for insights and comments.

I can only echo other's positive opinions on Mr Tam (Coolfungadget), he's already given excellent personal service and communication.

My entrance into Hi-Fi was similar Gruff. I bought good monitors and a sub, then a good amp, then realized that I didn't want to be tied to a cd player when I could use my computer and an external dac as my source. So I ripped my cds to FLAC and after I got my DAC Magic I was just amazed and have remained content ever since.

Then I got into headphones and amps for them and I'm still trying to perfect that setup (I think cans are harder than speakers to be satisfied with since it's easier to hear their flaws).

Anyway, congrats and I bet you'll be very happy!

Quote:
What is so good about the Matrix is not matter what can I use with them they perform well above their price point. I am listening with my  Shure SRH840 and they sound so good. I really havent used the Little Dot MK11 in almost a month. They 840 sound so good on the Matrix as does the 701 and the D7000. One amp and it play everything I can throw at it.

Hearing this is what really made up my mind to get the Matrix over some other amps I was considering (and also the easy opamp rolling and gain adjustment...and price!). I love my 702's and like my Grado 225i's, but I don't know what cans I might want to try in the future. I wanted an amp that didn't excel with one or two different makers, but did well with any you threw at it.

My Matrix has cleared customs in Chicago (I'm in St. Louis) so hopefully will be here this Sat. or before (or I'll have to wait until Mon.). I can't wait to hear this thing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back