Matrix M-Stage amp review: simple, cheap, and excellent.
Mar 15, 2011 at 1:13 AM Post #1,516 of 5,176
Right now at the house I have a Black Cube Linear, a Matrix M Stage with class A biased LM4562 and a Cavelli Audio Bijou Tube amp. I have tried them all using the Eastern Electric Mini Max Dac as a source and I prefer the M-Stage with upgraded op-amp with my LCD2 and not by a close margin. I LOVE my Bijou with almost all of my other headphones. With the variable negative  feedback control it works with a lot of headphones with various impedance. It runs my AKG 340's wonderfully which are very hard to drive but it just does not seem to have the oomph and synergy of the Matrix with the LCD2. I really can't believe how much I like this combo.

PS if anybody would like to help me bias some more opamps into class A I would gladly share the many types of spare opamps I have. Also looking for some browndog adapters for the metal can LM4562 and equivilant. Send me a PM if interested.

Does anybody know if the metal can version of the LM4562 can be biased into class A and also can the pins be bent to fit the opamp socket without the browndog adapters?  

Peace and Respect

MoBay

Mar 15, 2011 at 1:32 PM Post #1,517 of 5,176

Quote:
Does anybody know if the metal can version of the LM4562 can be biased into class A and also can the pins be bent to fit the opamp socket without the browndog adapters?

It can be done.  =]

The TO-99 metal can has a tab sticking out on one side to show you where pin 8 is.  From there the rest is just as modding the DIP8 version, just a different shape.

Mar 15, 2011 at 9:42 PM Post #1,521 of 5,176
Hello,
I'm looking foward to buy the Matrix M-Stage.
For those who bought it online, what site did you use? I've found the amp on "http://coolfungadget.com/store/index.php?route=common/home". Anyone ordered from there?

Thanks.

Mar 15, 2011 at 10:02 PM Post #1,522 of 5,176
Volume control did not feel as precise as it did with the 702's,  for one but I will have to wait till my Concerto arrives to truly make a comparison.

Felt like something was missing though.

Quote:
Interesting - I think this is the first negative 'M-Stage with LCD2' post I've come across. Care to elaborate on your lack of enthusiasm ?

Mar 15, 2011 at 10:33 PM Post #1,523 of 5,176

Quote:
Volume control did not feel as precise as it did with the 702's,  for one but I will have to wait till my Concerto arrives to truly make a comparison.

Felt like something was missing though.

Fair enough, but I think you have to keep the price of the M-Stage in mind : next step up would be amps like the T-33H, Concerto and HPA160, but you are more than doubling the price of M-Stage.

Mar 16, 2011 at 1:07 AM Post #1,524 of 5,176

That's exactly where I ordered mine and also where I ordered the Burr Brown OPA627AP class A upgrade. I'm very happy with it. That was the first thing I've ordered directly from anywhere in China and was pleasantly surprised with how fast it arrived.  
Quote:
Hello,
I'm looking foward to buy the Matrix M-Stage.
For those who bought it online, what site did you use? I've found the amp on "http://coolfungadget.com/store/index.php?route=common/home". Anyone ordered from there?

Thanks.

Mar 16, 2011 at 3:05 AM Post #1,525 of 5,176
Just tried the LM4562, also from CFG. Its sound signature is similar to the original OPA2134, but better performance all around. I can see that it would go very well with instrumentals. I lean more towards vocals, where the OPA627 really shines. Can't wait for my DIP socket to show up, so I can do the class A mod.
o2smile.gif

Mar 16, 2011 at 12:06 PM Post #1,526 of 5,176
What is the difference between OPA627AU and OPA627AP?

I want to give this OEM opamp the boot, but I'm apparently a super noob when it comes to this stuff.

Mar 16, 2011 at 12:43 PM Post #1,527 of 5,176

Quote:
Just tried the LM4562, also from CFG. Its sound signature is similar to the original OPA2134, but better performance all around. I can see that it would go very well with instrumentals. I lean more towards vocals, where the OPA627 really shines. Can't wait for my DIP socket to show up, so I can do the class A mod.
o2smile.gif

BTW, class A mod should warm up the sound of LM4562. More bias current = warmer.

Quote:
What is the difference between OPA627AU and OPA627AP?

I want to give this OEM opamp the boot, but I'm apparently a super noob when it comes to this stuff.

AU is surface mount chip which needs to be mounted on a dual SMT->DIP adapter - one chip on top side and another on bottom side. AP is DIP - unfortunately because the M-Stage uses a dual op-amp chip, you still need an adapter. If I were to use the DIP chips, I would use BP instead of the AP. The BP are milspec and supposed to be better. Otherwise I'd use the AU - one less less socket to get in the way and same distance to the PCB for less electrical issues.

Mar 16, 2011 at 12:56 PM Post #1,528 of 5,176
I never believe price == quality, so it could really go either way.  Based on perceptions in multiple threads the M-Stage is not really on a level too far below(even if pricing is).

Though in this case to my ears the Concerto can very well be leaps beyond(relative) what I heard in the M-Stage.  Part of it is, I think the LCD-2 meshes better with a stepped attenuator, the concerto being being digital first all the better.

10db Gain on the M-Stage was a bit excessive imo, while with 0db gain the headroom was there if I turned it up but the precision between moving volume higher and lower was just missing. As for something missing, can't say for sure.  Could just be such a radical change in headphones that caused this.  The LCD-2's are in a word natural(I actually enjoy female sibilance now) and relatively flat, which means the oomph that exist is on basis of the recording more so than the headphones trying to amaze me(which they do by their merit and ability to go deep).

In hind sight I should of kept the M-Stage as a speaker preamp.

Quote:

Fair enough, but I think you have to keep the price of the M-Stage in mind : next step up would be amps like the T-33H, Concerto and HPA160, but you are more than doubling the price of M-Stage.

Mar 16, 2011 at 8:13 PM Post #1,529 of 5,176
Having owned both the Concerto and the M Stage both are outstanding amps and the M Stage is an overachieving best bargin in every way. I think it outperformed any other amp in its and msome more expensive amps. The concerto is the best SS headamp I have heard to date a terrific amp a step up over the matrix but not not 3X better as its cost reflects. But I could live with the M Stage as my SS amp of choice and would stiull own it if I were not into tube amps so much.

Mar 16, 2011 at 10:07 PM Post #1,530 of 5,176
 In a brief listening on a meet here in my city, I compared my Matrix+OPA Earth to Concerto. The differences weren't small - if I had money I could easily replace my amp there without thinking twice.
 I think people should listen more to this OPA by the way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back