Matrix M-Stage amp review: simple, cheap, and excellent.
Mar 2, 2011 at 12:33 AM Post #1,487 of 5,176
Hmm, so flipping through the last some odd pages, I've come to no conclusion about what opamps I should try, haha. I received a used stock M-Stage (OPA2134? Havn't opened it yet) recently and would like to tinker with the sound. But having no extra parts, do I just start buying random opamps trying all of them or what? Off what basis do these matter the most? The headphones? Desired sound? Is there a helpful opamp guide that describes basic attributes, etc? I love tinkering with things, so thanks if anyone could help!

Also, is there a recommended burn-in period for the M-Stage?

Mar 2, 2011 at 3:04 PM Post #1,488 of 5,176
Don't worry about burn-in, it sounds great out of the box and only gets better with time.
I noticed the treble harshness in mine go away after the first 50 hours or so, I think.

If you can't decide on anything, order a pair of HA3-2525-5 samples from Intersil, and TLE2081ACP from Texas Instruments.  They will need adapters.
Or you can just go for the OPA627 like the others.

Mar 3, 2011 at 10:34 PM Post #1,489 of 5,176
Quick questions:

I have the Logitech Z2300s (I know they aren't very good, but they're just so that I can have speakers if I want them.  I plan on getting some legit speakers when I have the money), and have so far been plugging them into the headphone out of the Matrix (they use a 1/8 inch plug for input, so I just slap on a 1/4 converter).  I'm curious if it would be better to plug them into the line out on the back of the amp.  I could buy an RCA to mini female cable and plug it in that way.  Is that better?  When the speakers are plugged into the line out, will the headphone out cease working? And if both do work simultaneously, won't that mean that only half of the amps power is going to the headphone out and half is going to the line out?  I know nothing about amps' line-out functions and pre amps, so sorry if these were dumb questions.

Thank you, 
biggrin.gif

Mar 3, 2011 at 10:37 PM Post #1,490 of 5,176
The Pre-amp out (not line-out, that's what DACs and soundcards tend to have) is always active.

Mar 3, 2011 at 10:45 PM Post #1,491 of 5,176
Thanks for the quick reply, but will using the preamp out affect the output power on the headphone out?

Quote:
The Pre-amp out (not line-out, that's what DACs and soundcards tend to have) is always active.

Mar 3, 2011 at 10:50 PM Post #1,492 of 5,176
Not sure on that, unfortunately.

Mar 4, 2011 at 12:13 AM Post #1,494 of 5,176

I have those same Logitech's and I e-mailed Tam and asked him the same question and he said that headphones and those speakers can be used simultaneously. I'm not sure why one would do that except to maybe get the subwoofer involved in the headphone listening. I have them hooked up to the line out via an RCA to 1/8 plug. I can't speak to the potential power division (whether it does or does not).
Quote:
Quick questions:

I have the Logitech Z2300s (I know they aren't very good, but they're just so that I can have speakers if I want them.  I plan on getting some legit speakers when I have the money), and have so far been plugging them into the headphone out of the Matrix (they use a 1/8 inch plug for input, so I just slap on a 1/4 converter).  I'm curious if it would be better to plug them into the line out on the back of the amp.  I could buy an RCA to mini female cable and plug it in that way.  Is that better?  When the speakers are plugged into the line out, will the headphone out cease working? And if both do work simultaneously, won't that mean that only half of the amps power is going to the headphone out and half is going to the line out?  I know nothing about amps' line-out functions and pre amps, so sorry if these were dumb questions.

Thank you, 
biggrin.gif

Mar 4, 2011 at 12:23 AM Post #1,495 of 5,176
Okay sweet thank you.  I'm assuming that if you have a headphone plugged in and the speakers into the preamp out and you play music it will come out of both the headphones and the speakers?  Thats strange, but I guess I'll just inplug my headphones anytime I want speakers, which is better than having to unplug headphones and then plug in speakers each time.

Mar 4, 2011 at 7:38 AM Post #1,496 of 5,176
Just to say a big Thank you to all you folks who posted on here. Spotting a Matrix for sale, I scanned this string quickly and it determined my purchase. I needed something with reasonable power to run my Wharfedale Isodynamic phones.  It's STILL a squeeze! Running on 18 db at 3 p.m. on vol gets it loud enough!  Will try 20 to see if it affects quality.
The world's most inefficient phones?
But also one of the best!
Nice sound, as you all know.

Mar 7, 2011 at 2:27 PM Post #1,497 of 5,176
I received the RCA > mini female cable I ordered from monoprice and my speakers do indeed work out of the pre-out at the back of the M-Stage.  If headphones are plugged in, sound will come from both the speakers and the headphones at the same time.  I'm not sure whether this means the output power of the M-Stage is split, and only part of the power is going to the headphones, but when I turn my speakers on and off with my headphones on my head, I notice no difference in sound quality so I'm fine with it.

Thanks again for the help guys.

Mar 7, 2011 at 3:15 PM Post #1,498 of 5,176

Quote:
I received the RCA > mini female cable I ordered from monoprice and my speakers do indeed work out of the pre-out at the back of the M-Stage.  If headphones are plugged in, sound will come from both the speakers and the headphones at the same time.  I'm not sure whether this means the output power of the M-Stage is split, and only part of the power is going to the headphones, but when I turn my speakers on and off with my headphones on my head, I notice no difference in sound quality so I'm fine with it.

Thanks again for the help guys.

Is that a good idea? Aren't you double amping your powered speakers then?

Mar 7, 2011 at 3:26 PM Post #1,499 of 5,176
That shouldn't be an issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back