Matrix M-Stage amp review: simple, cheap, and excellent.
Mar 8, 2011 at 3:32 PM Post #1,501 of 5,176

Quote:
The rear panel RCA out is a line level output signal, and is not powered in the same way that the headphone jack is. So you aren't splitting your power at all, nor are you double amping your powered speakers. Think of it like a pre-amp output on the back of a home theater receiver. 

I'm sure that the volume control on mine affected the output to my chip amp today! Running into a Sonic Impact 'Son of T', into PAWO horns. Will have to check!

Mar 8, 2011 at 3:49 PM Post #1,502 of 5,176
Pictures of the OPA627AP with class A mod (from Tam's Audio / coolfungadget) in the M-Stage

Mar 8, 2011 at 4:55 PM Post #1,503 of 5,176
Yeah the volume control on the Matrix affects the pre-out on the back.

Quote:
I'm sure that the volume control on mine affected the output to my chip amp today! Running into a Sonic Impact 'Son of T', into PAWO horns. Will have to check!

Mar 8, 2011 at 5:47 PM Post #1,504 of 5,176

Quote:
Yeah the volume control on the Matrix affects the pre-out on the back.

It's not a pre-amp output if the volume control doesn't affect it.

Mar 8, 2011 at 6:09 PM Post #1,505 of 5,176
It uses the same volume pot as the headphone out yet doesn't use the same amp circuitry as the headphone out does?  I'm confused.  I just want to know if using the pre-amp out affects the power (and therefore SQ) of the headphone out 
confused.gif

Mar 9, 2011 at 10:22 PM Post #1,507 of 5,176
Probably some mid-fi DAC at the very least if you are that concerned.

Mar 9, 2011 at 10:25 PM Post #1,508 of 5,176
I had patchy results with various DAC/amp combos prior to buying the Streamer II - for the asking price, I see it as a no-brainer.

Mar 10, 2011 at 3:59 AM Post #1,509 of 5,176

Quote:
My setup : Foobar2000 + WASAPI >Auzentech X-fi Forte> Matrix M-Stage > K701

Is my soundcard limiting the potential of the M stage and K701 pairing?
Would a dac make a notable difference?

I had an Auzen a while ago, but I later got too spoiled and decided that computer sound cards just didn't do it for me. The M-Stage is capable of taking a better source, particularly if you do the class A mods with a better op-amp.

As far as "notable difference", that's something only you can determine.

Mar 11, 2011 at 1:37 PM Post #1,511 of 5,176

Quote:
My setup : Foobar2000 + WASAPI >Auzentech X-fi Forte> Matrix M-Stage > K701

Is my soundcard limiting the potential of the M stage and K701 pairing?
Would a dac make a notable difference?

That could be the next step unless you wanted to try some different flavors of headphones. Different headphones are going to have a very noticeable change in sound, compared to an upgraded DAC which can often be a subtle change. But if you love your K701 and want to further refine their sound, a DAC upgrade and/or mods to the M-Stage would be your next step. 

Quote:
It uses the same volume pot as the headphone out yet doesn't use the same amp circuitry as the headphone out does?  I'm confused.  I just want to know if using the pre-amp out affects the power (and therefore SQ) of the headphone out 
confused.gif

It is confusing when you put it that way. Maybe it will help to think of an integrated amp. Let's say you have speaker outputs on the back rated at 140 watts per channel. You also have pre-amp outputs so you can later upgrade to a dedicated amp if you want. These pre-amp outs are controlled by the main volume knob, yet they aren't sending out 140wpc. At some point the signal is being split and routed separate ways; one goes out the pre-amp RCA jacks on the rear, while the other goes to that last amplification stage and then out to your speakers. Apply that same thinking to the M-stage and it starts to make sense. The specifics vary from one product to the next, but the general idea is the same and it means that you don't have to worry about lowering your SQ.

Mar 11, 2011 at 2:41 PM Post #1,512 of 5,176
Thank you 
biggrin.gif

Quote:
That could be the next step unless you wanted to try some different flavors of headphones. Different headphones are going to have a very noticeable change in sound, compared to an upgraded DAC which can often be a subtle change. But if you love your K701 and want to further refine their sound, a DAC upgrade and/or mods to the M-Stage would be your next step. 

It is confusing when you put it that way. Maybe it will help to think of an integrated amp. Let's say you have speaker outputs on the back rated at 140 watts per channel. You also have pre-amp outputs so you can later upgrade to a dedicated amp if you want. These pre-amp outs are controlled by the main volume knob, yet they aren't sending out 140wpc. At some point the signal is being split and routed separate ways; one goes out the pre-amp RCA jacks on the rear, while the other goes to that last amplification stage and then out to your speakers. Apply that same thinking to the M-stage and it starts to make sense. The specifics vary from one product to the next, but the general idea is the same and it means that you don't have to worry about lowering your SQ.

Mar 12, 2011 at 3:06 AM Post #1,514 of 5,176
I ordered an OPA627 with my Matrix M-Stage from CFG and both came together within 2 weeks.
The M-Stage is a good upgrade to the headphone out of a Topping D2 that I was using with my LCD-2 in the office.
Definitely recommend the OPA627 over the OPA2134. Higher quality bass, better focus, vocals are fantastic. It sounds a bit tube like.
Enjoying the M-Stage with my LCD-2.
o2smile.gif

Mar 12, 2011 at 3:14 AM Post #1,515 of 5,176
I don't have my M-Stage anymore, but I can definitely see it as being a good match for the LCD-2, probably the best for it's price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back